Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

Thank you Sg for compiling the list.

In my "formative" period in this fountain pen hobby, the list was very short, and only SBRE and Pen Habit had enough content for me to come back to.

As a beginner, I find these videos quite helpful, because I can pick up varieties, facts and preferences without having to actually spend the money for a pen that I may not like in the end.

But as I progress in the hobby, I needed less and less of these reviews. Because, as Jon Szanto mentioned, I can pick up the facts much faster from reading. Plus, most of the styles of the newer video reviewers are not my cup of coffee.

But I'd like to recognize that even to make the simplest review video, it is a lot of work. I tried to make one review video of a vintage pen, and it's already difficult for me.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 15th, 2020), sgphoto (March 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Thank you Sg for compiling the list.

In my "formative" period in this fountain pen hobby, the list was very short, and only SBRE and Pen Habit had enough content for me to come back to.

As a beginner, I find these videos quite helpful, because I can pick up varieties, facts and preferences without having to actually spend the money for a pen that I may not like in the end.

But as I progress in the hobby, I needed less and less of these reviews. Because, as Jon Szanto mentioned, I can pick up the facts much faster from reading. Plus, most of the styles of the newer video reviewers are not my cup of coffee.

But I'd like to recognize that even to make the simplest review video, it is a lot of work. I tried to make one review video of a vintage pen, and it's already difficult for me.
    One of the most valuable aspects of online reviews for me is when you see the various nibs in action. That's hard to visualize, particularly when discussing obliques, cursive italics, double broads, etc.

SBRE Brown did a review where he had 10 Churchman's Prescriptors inked identically and 10 different nibs as offered by Mr. Pen. It did two things for me. Made me want to buy a Churman's Prescriptor (I like big metal-based pens) and a broad cursive italic nib. So I bought one with the cursive italic nib.

But without the video I would have only been able to guess at the various rarely seen nibs and how they write.

It's like handwriting videos. One could explain at great length how to do certain styles, but watching one video is 1000% more effective.

Cheers!
    Sg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 4th, 2020), NumberSix (August 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    But without the video I would have only been able to guess at the various rarely seen nibs and how they write.

It's like handwriting videos. One could explain at great length how to do certain styles, but watching one video is 1000% more effective.
    I understand your point, and it is very valid, and likely useful to many people. OTOH (literally), I'm left-handed. Watching right-handers use nibs isn't any more useful than a single, static photo of the line widths of the varying nibs, since I will never be writing the same way as them.

Partial tangent: I had three young penfriends who ran a blog for a while (seems to be quiet now) where they did pen reviews and one of the main points was they had many photos showing the pens in-hand - and they had three very different sized hands! (two women, one man). I think that between the size issue and their three individual perspectives on what they liked in a pen, it was an interesting and helpful way to show a pen in different lights. It would be really useful to have a video review in that kind of format.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 4th, 2020), NumberSix (August 15th, 2020), sgphoto (March 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,644 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I understand your point, and it is very valid, and likely useful to many people. OTOH (literally), I'm left-handed. Watching right-handers use nibs isn't any more useful than a single, static photo of the line widths of the varying nibs, since I will never be writing the same way as them.

Partial tangent: I had three young penfriends who ran a blog for a while (seems to be quiet now) where they did pen reviews and one of the main points was they had many photos showing the pens in-hand - and they had three very different sized hands! (two women, one man). I think that between the size issue and their three individual perspectives on what they liked in a pen, it was an interesting and helpful way to show a pen in different lights. It would be really useful to have a video review in that kind of format.
    Really appreciated Hand Over That Pen for the diversity of hand sizes and points of view. Most video reviewers (as they constantly like to point out ... can't think why) have large hands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Really appreciated Hand Over That Pen for the diversity of hand sizes and points of view. Most video reviewers (as they constantly like to point out ... can't think why) have large hands.
    Thank you. My coffee hadn't kicked in and I couldn't remember their title!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I couldn't locate them on Youtube, but they do have an interesting website. https://www.handoverthatpen.com/
    Notice in my initial mention of them I say that it was a blog (well, still is). So, no vids but interesting 3-person reviews.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

I'm the type who thinks, 'Shut up and write.'

Cut to the chase. PLEASE. I often mute them and fast-forward.

My favorite video 'reviews' are just close shots of writing. After much dithering, I decided to buy a Lamy 2000 based on a really brief vid of someone writing with an EF in Sailor Souten, which has been in the pen ever since.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 5th, 2020), Deb (March 5th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 5th, 2020), sgphoto (March 5th, 2020)

Thanks

There are a couple of youtubers that can express more without a spoken word than many can do speaking volumes. Just watching them write is beautiful.
    Beautiful!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 5th, 2020)

Thanks

I was thinking about what I want from a pen video and whether that is unrealistic, are my expectations too high?

I am not interested in knowing about the packaging and certainly not for 5 minutes of a 12 minute video.

I am not interested in being told whether the pen has pretty plastics in their opinion.

I am interested in any special filling system and how the nib works. I am also interested in how the pen writes, is there a step down for example between the barrel and the section, does the pen feel like a quality item.

I would like to know if the reviewer thinks that the pen offers value for money and compares the pen to competition.

Some reviewers could improve their presention if they looked at car reviews and took note.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 5th, 2020), sgphoto (March 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I'm the type who thinks, 'Shut up and write.'

Cut to the chase. PLEASE. I often mute them and fast-forward.

My favorite video 'reviews' are just close shots of writing. After much dithering, I decided to buy a Lamy 2000 based on a really brief vid of someone writing with an EF in Sailor Souten, which has been in the pen ever since.
    My pet peeves are excessive and useless verbiage, personal life meanderings, general silliness, little to no forethought of what needs to be said and how to say it, trite expressions such as 'like, you know, that's how I roll,' etc.

Self-indulgent digression and obvious lack of prep make me want to chew my own arm off. Fortunately, as you say, there is fast-forward.
    To be fair, YouTube algorithms are part of the problem: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8...rch-ad-revenue

-----

A few more reviewers and pen-adjacent content creators I have watched occasionally, some no longer very active or active at all:

Tuzand
    Inquisitive Quill
    ima4ster
    Brian Sizemore
    Gerard Zonjee
    inkWitty
    Jeffry Fridfinnson
    Kpurpose10
    Leigh Reyes
    nswecronos
    Jake's Take
    Peter Unbehauen
    Olive Boy
    Seele2015au
    ziptrickhead
    A.ZY.LEE
    K.D.P. Ross
    Last edited by catbert; March 5th, 2020 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

My pet peeves are excessive and useless verbiage, personal life meanderings, general silliness, little to no forethought of what needs to be said and how to say it, trite expressions such as 'like, you know, that's how I roll,' etc.

Self-indulgent digression and obvious lack of prep make me want to chew my own arm off. Fortunately, as you say, there is fast-forward.
    To be fair, YouTube algorithms are part of the problem: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8...rch-ad-revenue
    Much the same reason I find myself wishing to edit Dickens - he was paid by the word, and it showed. Although it didn't seem to do him any harm in the long term.

I'm not the target demographic for video reviews - my connection speed is appalling and fast forwarding requires waiting a fair while until there's anything downloaded to fast forward in the first place. Every minute becomes precious in those circumstances, and even musical intros make me grind my teeth. But for reviews in general, I'd simply observe that it's very easy to say "this is wrong, that's not good enough" and all that, but unless you've done it and really appreciate the amount of work that goes in to it, then you could possibly wind your neck in just a tad and be a little grateful anyone does it at all.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    But for reviews in general, I'd simply observe that it's very easy to say "this is wrong, that's not good enough" and all that, but unless you've done it and really appreciate the amount of work that goes in to it, then you could possibly wind your neck in just a tad and be a little grateful anyone does it at all.
    Agreed. We truly are spoilt for choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Even I like SBRE Brown though I don't watch review videos in general. He's very good but he mostly reviews modern pens which are not my thing.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Even I like SBRE Brown though I don't watch review videos in general. He's very good but he mostly reviews modern pens which are not my thing.
    I agree. After watching the latest acrylic pen "Now in 25 Colors" reviews I'm much more discerning. I also lament the lack of vintage pen discussions/reviews on Youtube.

Sg

Thanks

I agree. After watching the latest acrylic pen "Now in 25 Colors" reviews I'm much more discerning. I also lament the lack of vintage pen discussions/reviews on Youtube.

Sg
    You just reminded me - I'm not sure how regularly they post but you do have Grandmia Pens - also doesn't Eckythump have his own channel ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post

Sg
    You just reminded me - I'm not sure how regularly they post but you do have Grandmia Pens - also doesn't Eckythump have his own channel ?
    I dont think he does, I have just done a search on Eckiefump and thump and other permutations without success.

You would need subtitles in any case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

Sg
    I dont think he does, I have just done a search on Eckiefump and thump and other permutations without success.

By eck, he might be from wrong side of t border (I seem to remember) but there's nowt wrong with his accent ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

Sg

By eck, he might be from wrong side of t border (I seem to remember) but there's nowt wrong with his accent ...
    The only thing I would debate is that he is on the wrong side of the border.

Thanks

Added a new category to my first post. 'Artistry". Looking for additional people to include in that list.
    Thanks and Cheers,
    Sg

Thanks

Added a new category to my first post. 'Artistry". Looking for additional people to include in that list.
    I don't know how many straight 'reviews' she has done, but if you want "pens = art", you have to look to Leigh Reyes, a longtime member of the global pen world:

https://www.youtube.com/user/leighpod

That's her channel, where you can see all manner of delightful things...

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (March 12th, 2020), sgphoto (March 12th, 2020)