Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

CJ's Creative Studio posts calligraphy and cursive videos, and occasionally pen reviews
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Handwriting, and Artistry on YouTube

Due to excessive meandering, I have taken to watching pen reviews at 1.5 speed.
    fountain pens are for drawing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CXC For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 13th, 2020)

Thanks

In the "art" category, I'd place Teoh Yi Chie from Singapore. He's an artist who reviews a broad range of items in a useful and humble way.

Our great loss in the utube "reviewing" world has been VittaR. Been nearly three years now since she posted anything so I guess it's over. I think about her often and hope she is well. Her reviews and the body of work she produced are simply the best available.

Thanks

Never trust a reviewer with dodgy finger nails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2VRkf3r6I

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Never trust a reviewer with dodgy finger nails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2VRkf3r6I
    I can't comment on that one as I also bite my finger nails.

Thanks

I never quite get the point of reviewers on YouTube who are rather long winded but we never get to see the pen being used, after guys, it's a pen, we buy them not just for the look of the pen, or the name on the clip, but to write with the pen!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boston Brian For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 24th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 24th, 2020), sgphoto (March 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Brian View Post
    I never quite get the point of reviewers on YouTube who are rather long winded but we never get to see the pen being used, after guys, it's a pen, we buy them not just for the look of the pen, or the name on the clip, but to write with the pen!
    Very good point Brian.

There are reviewers who post a 12 minute vid, the first 4 minutes they talk about the box, next six minutes is all about what the pen looks like, the final two minutes is how it works, if you are lucky.

Many of the reviewers could just as easily be reviewing polished rod stock.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 24th, 2020), sgphoto (March 24th, 2020)

Thanks

One of the things most lacking in the videos is showing how the nibs differ and the angle to the paper to best use that nib.

The best I've seen in that regard is SBRE Brown's video where he takes 9 Churchman's Prescriptors all inked the same but with 9 different nibs. The writing samples clearly showed the difference in nibs. It's a classic.

I also dislike when someone writes a long and needless quote (Pen Habit) but fails to provide examples of the different nibs. Stick with the same short writing example, same ink, same paper - then I have a fair comparison. Less talk, more demonstration.

You'll also notice that many reviewers have absolutely abysmal handwriting so you can't tell anything about the writing qualities of the nib/pen. If they can't write, there's no harm in having someone else do the writing.

A few reviewers get it right. A few don't but are still worth watching for what you can learn. After a while, you'll eliminate the chaff.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 25th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 24th, 2020)

Thanks

[QUOTE=sgphoto;286831]One of the things most lacking in the videos is showing how the nibs differ and the angle to the paper to best use that nib.

You'll also notice that many reviewers have absolutely abysmal handwriting so you can't tell anything about the writing qualities of the nib/pen. If they can't write, there's no harm in having someone else do the writing.

In the "can't write" department... What most annoys me is someone "evaluating" a fountain pen who does not know how to write with a fountain pen. I see so many of these people writing as if they were using a ball point. I'm sure most learned to write with ball points, since most are of such an age. I learned to write with a fountain pen, and it's a whole different way of holding and moving the pen. Why would I trust your "writing sample" when you don't know how to write with a fountain pen? These are painful for me to watch, so I've mostly stopped.

Frankly, I can't imagine what joy there is in using a fountain pen if you don't know how to use it!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 24th, 2020), sgphoto (March 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Well, folks, you presumably all have extra time on your hands now - show those abject failures how it's done, eh?
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Well, folks, you presumably all have extra time on your hands now - show those abject failures how it's done, eh?
    I don't need to. SBRE Brown already has.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    I expect others have already put forward criticisms too, but apparently you felt your contribution was still necessary. Why not make a positive contribution too? We may find a pen reviewing natural in our midst.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    I expect others have already put forward criticisms too, but apparently you felt your contribution was still necessary. Why not make a positive contribution too? We may find a pen reviewing natural in our midst.
    I already did. I started this thread. You're welcome to start your own thread. That's how it works.

Thanks

Anytime they come around here with a handful of cash, I'll be glad to help them out!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Well I don't know if you can't take a hint chaps, or you're being deliberately obtuse, so let me put it this way:

If you haven't tried to do a review yourself, and you won't do it because making such an effort is beyond you, I for one would much appreciate it if you'd reduce your level of criticism of those that have. It's very easy to wade in and pick at all the things you think are wrong, but doing it like this is not constructive, and it does come across as pretty ungrateful.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 25th, 2020), LeFreak (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Well I don't know if you can't take a hint chaps, or you're being deliberately obtuse, so let me put it this way:

If you haven't tried to do a review yourself, and you won't do it because making such an effort is beyond you, I for one would much appreciate it if you'd reduce your level of criticism of those that have. It's very easy to wade in and pick at all the things you think are wrong, but doing it like this is not constructive, and it does come across as pretty ungrateful.
    The opposite argument to this point of view is that if you have a Youtube channel then please have something useful to say. If, for eaxmple, you say that this is a review of the Visconti London Fog dont spend most of your time talking about the packaging.

I have no idea Grainweevil if you are a youtube pen reviewer or not so i dont know if you are qualified to make the above comment but if a vid maker doesnt like having comments made on their on Youtube vid then they can switch off commenting or make a better product.

With regards to commenting on here about Pen Reviews then you will see that this is the purpose of the thread and the idea that we are only qualified to comment if we have made a vid ourselves is just plain nuts. We are being asked to comment on pen review vids, that is all.

Ungrateful or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I occasionally look for pen reviews for specific pens on YouTube and if SBRE Brown has made a video review of that particular pen then his review is the one I select to read first.
    I find his reviews are direct, to the point, not slowly meandering or talking overly long about the box.
    When I watch a review for a FP I want to see the pen with it's cap off quite early on otherwise I start pressing the >> button.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 25th, 2020 at 03:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Absolutely.

I enjoy the 'how to' videos, for everything, not just pen reviews. I like to read expert opinion on techniques and a quality opinion without all the waffle.

The idea that we are not qualified to comment because we havent produced a vid ourselves is just potty. I can have an opinion on a TV program or a movie or an ink review, none of which I have produced. My thoughts may be of no interest to anyone else but me but thats a different discussion.

I seen pen reviews that just gloss over a huge step down between the barrel and section, no comment as to how it feels in your hand, there was another review of a modern Duofold that had more than half its time talking about the fabric covering the accompanying notebook and didnt include a single word as to how the pen actually works.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

The opposite argument to this point of view is that if you have a Youtube channel then please have something useful to say. If, for eaxmple, you say that this is a review of the Visconti London Fog dont spend most of your time talking about the packaging.

I have no idea Grainweevil if you are a youtube pen reviewer or not so i dont know if you are qualified to make the above comment but if a vid maker doesnt like having comments made on their on Youtube vid then they can switch off commenting or make a better product.

With regards to commenting on here about Pen Reviews then you will see that this is the purpose of the thread and the idea that we are only qualified to comment if we have made a vid ourselves is just plain nuts. We are being asked to comment on pen review vids, that is all.

Ungrateful or not.
    I don't know if it's the case, but perhaps some people like to know all about the packaging? I don't, clearly you don't, but in that case this reviewer's style is not for us and we can look elsewhere. I did not suggest you don't comment at all, that would indeed, as you say, be nuts. Just that you make allowance for the fact there's a person who has at least made an effort who is on the receiving end of them and maybe rein them in a little bit.

Anyway, rest assured I'm not a pen reviewer. I have done reviews on the internet in another field though, and am cognisant of the amount of time and effort it takes to do a halfway reasonable one. Looking back I'm certain I couldn't do it again. This is not my fight, so I'll give it up now and you may do as you will, unmolested.

Thanks

I am not going to labour the point but your "If you haven't tried to do a review yourself, and you won't do it because making such an effort is beyond you, I for one would much appreciate it if you'd reduce your level of criticism of those that have."

Ungrateful or not.
    I don't know if it's the case, but perhaps some people like to know all about the packaging? I don't, clearly you don't, but in that case this reviewer's style is not for us and we can look elsewhere. I did not suggest you don't comment at all, that would indeed, as you say, be nuts. Just that you make allowance for the fact there's a person who has at least made an effort who is on the receiving end of them and maybe rein them in a little bit.

Anyway, rest assured I'm not a pen reviewer. I have done reviews on the internet in another field though, and am cognisant of the amount of time and effort it takes to do a halfway reasonable one. Looking back I'm certain I couldn't do it again. This is not my fight, so I'll give it up now and you may do as you will, unmolested.

I am not going to labour the point but your If you haven't tried to do a review yourself, and you won't do it because making such an effort is beyond you, I for one would much appreciate it if you'd reduce your level of criticism of those that have suggests not to make a critcism unless you are also a pen reviewer.

Not an issue, I think that the good thing about youtube pen reviews is that there is plenty of choice and the ones that are not so good are easily avoided.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 25th, 2020)