Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

I am familiar with most of the Videos and I love some and hate some.
    But I find it very interesting to know about a pen before you buy it or get it. When I got this bug of collecting I think I used to spend lot of time on those videos and I guess I have had a lot of disappointments when some pens came to me.

Thanks

I have to add that I'm quite surprised not to see any mention of Larry Berrones in this thread (Larry's Fountain Pens)..

Larry has been doing vids on YouTube for years now.
    I just started working with him this year!

He sponsors many "Giveaways", and has recently interviewed people including myself, Kevin from FPR, and Brian Anderson!
    He gives all of us our own 30-minute "Virtual Pen Show" on his channel!

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I am familiar with most of the Videos and I love some and hate some.
    But I find it very interesting to know about a pen before you buy it or get it. When I got this bug of collecting I think I used to spend lot of time on those videos and I guess I have had a lot of disappointments when some pens came to me.
    Yeah, I've had a few disappointments, but not many. Trust your instincts and doubts, and don't buy anything that does not check all the boxes. And watch at least five reviews. If you see a pen skip, don't buy it. If the lighting seems artificial, move on. If you can't actually see the writing close up, or the reviewer moves through the writing like it doesn't matter, don't trust the review. If the ink reviewer talks about the bottle and the package more than how it looks in three different nibs, move on to another review. If there aren't more careful reviews, then don't buy it. Don't give into FOMO, and you won't be disappointed often.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

I might be biased, but the highly suggested reviewers in the OP are super dull, and kind of puts me off FP's. Maybe because I am the same, and I want to see something different. The production quality of some suggested is also kind of terrible (for this day and age). I am sure a lot of people still enjoy watching them, whatever.

I much prefer more lively people. This guy's cute: JPL. Actually he was the person who introduced me to the Pilot Kakunos. Also: peterdraws.

Thanks

If the reviewer provides information about quirks and things one would find only by using the pen then a video review is better than dry numbers from a seller.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roe D Hym For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I spend too much time watching YouTube videos. The channels I check regularly are sbre brown and WaskiSquirrel. I’ll watch their vids even if they are talking about a pen I’ve never heard of or have any interest in. I appreciate all of the channels though, especially if there is a pen I’m interested in buying. Figboot stands out, so does pen boy Roy.

I like that waski reviews obscure vintage pens.

Having recently gotten into vintage pens, I have been spending quite a bit of time watching gramidia pens too, as he seems to have covered tons of pens from the good ol days.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tleek For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
    Stef (Grandmia Pens) is quite the laugh. Restoration, interesting pens, and what an accent! Love it.
    He used to video restorations and repairs, which is why I subscribed to his channel and they were very interesting and informative, but he hasn't videoed a restoration/repair for a long time.

All his videos now are nothing more than promotions for pens he's got for sale and they're all, without exception, "gorgeous, gorgeous fountain pens", with the constant condescending emphasis on the word "fountain", as though it wasn't glaringly obvious and constant repetition of what he's already said in the same video ten seconds earlier. So irritating. That's why I unsubcribed.

His begging for people to "support my work" (through PayPal, i.e "just send me money"!) on every video as though his channel was some kind of virtuous vocation is another source of irritation.

I bought a couple of pens through his channel, which were very nice pens (a PFM V and a Duofold Vacumatic) and would have bought more but he started insisting on the PayPal "Friends and family" option which takes away all the buyers protection in order that he doesn't have to pay PP's commission. If a buyer wanted to use PP "goods and services" (i.e retain PP's protection) he wanted an amount equivalent to his commission added on. That's when I stoppped buying from him.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillNick For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 1st, 2020), Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Many of Grandmia's restoration practices are just plain wrong.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    I much prefer more lively people. This guy's cute: JPL. Actually he was the person who introduced me to the Pilot Kakunos.

To each their own. I just can't stand him. I've nicknamed him "Mr This Pen This Pen Here". He utters words without actually saying anything. With him, it's ten steps forward then nine steps backward. He just can't be concise : "I will review this. This is a pen. A fountain pen to be more precise. This pen, a fountain pen, that I haven't reviewed yet despite this pen has being available for a long time. This pen, this one but also other Chinese pen, have been sold on eBay for awhile now. Maybe eight years. I've seen this model on eBay, but in other colours, for many years... for as long I've been interested in fountain pens, but I've haven't reviewed this pen. You've asked me to review this pen for some time now. Today is the day, I'll be reviewing this pen. I just bought this pen for reviewing purposes. This pen is obviously meant to look like this pen, the other one, here. Both pens look very similar to each other. But this pen is not exactly like that pen, this other pen. Let me repeat what other reviewers have already said a decade ago about... this pen."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Walter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    I much prefer more lively people. This guy's cute: JPL. Actually he was the person who introduced me to the Pilot Kakunos.

To each their own. I just can't stand him. I've nicknamed him "Mr This Pen This Pen Here". He utters words without actually saying anything. With him, it's ten steps forward then nine steps backward. He just can't be concise : "I will review this. This is a pen. A fountain pen to be more precise. This pen, a fountain pen, that I haven't reviewed yet despite this pen has being available for a long time. This pen, this one but also other Chinese pen, have been sold on eBay for awhile now. Maybe eight years. I've seen this model on eBay, but in other colours, for many years... for as long I've been interested in fountain pens, but I've haven't reviewed this pen. You've asked me to review this pen for some time now. Today is the day, I'll be reviewing this pen. I just bought this pen for reviewing purposes. This pen is obviously meant to look like this pen, the other one, here. Both pens look very similar to each other. But this pen is not exactly like that pen, this other pen. Let me repeat what other reviewers have already said a decade ago about... this pen."
    Lol...hilariously accurate depiction.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Pen Artistry, and Noteworthy Websites

PenBoyRoy is my dude...ex-mil, hilarious and precise.
    Sbre is another great reviewer.
    Chris_Saenz is an awesome reviewer too.
    Inky_rocks I absolutely LOVE! Alesa has such a beautiful voice, great music in the videos and her topics are just THE BEST!

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

While I'm still subscribed to a lot of pen reviewing channels, I just realized I haven't looked at one of them in maybe a year now. On the one hand I don't find them compelling in any way. And on the other hand, I'm sick of all the selling. It's all oriented toward making me want to buy something. Most often a pen maker has given (or lent) a pen to this utube creator because a thousand or so people will see his product. Then the presentations follow a canned script -- I'm going to tell you about this pen, then I'm going to tell you what I like and what I don't like, blah, blah, blah.

Then the utuber is also selling himself and I have to put up with the endless, hit the subscribe button and make sure to hit the bell icon -- wouldn't want to miss a word I have to say!!

Rather cynical, I guess, but I'm pretty sick of a society that pays me absolutely no mind unless they want me to buy something. Or maybe I'm just worn out from the pandemic lockdown!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    While I'm still subscribed to a lot of pen reviewing channels, I just realized I haven't looked at one of them in maybe a year now. On the one hand I don't find them compelling in any way. And on the other hand, I'm sick of all the selling. It's all oriented toward making me want to buy something. Most often a pen maker has given (or lent) a pen to this utube creator because a thousand or so people will see his product. Then the presentations follow a canned script -- I'm going to tell you about this pen, then I'm going to tell you what I like and what I don't like, blah, blah, blah.

Then the utuber is also selling himself and I have to put up with the endless, hit the subscribe button and make sure to hit the bell icon -- wouldn't want to miss a word I have to say!!

Rather cynical, I guess, but I'm pretty sick of a society that pays me absolutely no mind unless they want me to buy something. Or maybe I'm just worn out from the pandemic lockdown!
    You've sort of arrived to where you can enjoy yourself now. I personally enjoy your posts and I do care about you. I have nothing to sell. I might be a bit immune from feeling that someone is trying to force me into doing something I do not want. If I want it, these videos just deny or confirm.

The pandemic is a drag, but just wear your mask and go for a walk.

I've watched a video or three just to see if their experience is close to my own.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

I'm with you, Bill. Waski isn't that way at all, but he just reviews his odd finds from around the world and whatever pens he has been using that week. But I have cut waaaay back on the vids that I will watch, especially if I can tell that the person is taking too long just to get a certain length for another advertisement of some kind. Just show the pen writing, give a few measurements, and shut the heck up. And wow, aren't those "unboxings" annoying? Why would anyone think that someone else would want to watch them open a box? Who gives a sally about the box and the directions? I'm obviously not a "content creator." ....

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (December 1st, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Pen Artistry, and Noteworthy Websites

Ha ha, I hate unboxing.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawker800 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Many of Grandmia's restoration practices are just plain wrong.
    That is in my opinion, an understatement.

A post above references his desire to be paid through Paypal's friends and family. IMO that's stealing. I've had people offer, and my reply is that since I use their service, I don't mind paying the fees. They're much cheaper than the credit card service we used - to the tune of 1.5% per transaction. That adds up.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I have a handful of pentubers that I watch frequently. I like SBRE, Figboot and Penultimate Dave. I'm not into sbre's non-pen videos.. All three of them review a lot of pens I have no interest in or no interest in spending the coin on but I enjoy the videos none the less. I also like some of smaller channels like Doug Rathbun, Chrisrap52, Ode and someone I recently discovered Quick Fountain pen reviews.
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I like two features of YouTube videos in general: the fast-forward (and "rewind") and playback speed options up to 2x.

I also enjoy Quick Fountain Pen Reviews. I've slowed playback down, to watch the handwriting, which is visually appealing.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 2nd, 2020), digitalsedition (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

This sounds straight out of the playbook of the guy who called U.S. military veterans losers and suckers. "What was in it for them?" he asked.

Frankly, I see very few of the pen content creators doing anything more than trying to provide some benefit to their fellow pen lovers. What annoys me is they so lack creativity and they are used by the tech companies that provide a platform. And surely there is a good bit of egotism involved for most.

Quote Originally Posted by A Smug Dill View Post

I suppose you could choose (for your attention, expertise, influence, etc.) to be someone else's ‘product’ to sell to their paying customers, if you don't want to be parting with your own money to be supplied with, or given access to, what you feel benefits you as a consumer. Just to be clear, I'm assuming we're talking here in the context of non-essential goods and services not provided or underwritten by governments or the public purse, so you (or me) as a person outside of the capacity of a consumer in the market is irrelevant. Why else would ‘society’ give you what you would like materially or for entertainment, etc. if you neither want to be someone else's revenue source nor be an asset underpinning someone else's business model and/or profit?

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Just show the pen writing, give a few measurements, and shut the heck up.
    So what would be in it for the reviewer, then, such that the benefit to him/her for producing and posting/sharing a video will be greater than the benefit to you as a passive, non-contributing consumer of such content? Your ‘time’ and attention cannot be of any value to the video reviewer if he/she cannot otherwise deploy or leverage such to his/her advantage or profit. We aren't talking about start-ups trying to build up enough of an enterprise or reputation as an asset, such that Google or Facebook might eventually offer to buy it off the reviewer for millions of dollars while you cheer him/her on and consider yourself having contributed to the financial windfall of which you'll be content to share no part.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I can't say that I've spent anywhere near enough time on Youtube to even know that there are pen reviews on there.