Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers on Youtube

If "reduce your level of criticism" equates to "stop your criticism" in your understanding, then yes, you are absolutely correct on your point. It's not what I meant tho'.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

The 'unboxing' of pens in reviews are simply a waste.

It's like going to the doctor for a foot problem and he spends the first 15 minutes of your 20 minute appointment talking about the pattern in your argyle socks and how the shoelaces match the welt of your shoes.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 25th, 2020), NumberSix (August 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,466 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    The 'unboxing' of pens in reviews are simply a waste.

It's like going to the doctor for a foot problem and he spends the first 15 minutes of your 20 minute appointment talking about the pattern in your argyle socks and how the shoelaces match the welt of your shoes.
    That's very funny but true.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Handwriting, and Artistry on YouTube

Probably it is a convenient way to extend video length so it can be monetized. I have seen way too many videos that do this, trying to fit a 5 minute video into 20 minutes.

Still, for me, packaging is worth a brief mention. About 15 seconds devoted to the box is more than enough.

The best videos are ones which focus on providing a nice serving of good content first and foremost.

I've made plenty of videos. Almost none with me in it. The one I did of me talking was insanely time consuming and difficult. So I definitely respect those that do this on the regular.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Brilliant Bill;286863]
    One of the things most lacking in the videos is showing how the nibs differ and the angle to the paper to best use that nib.

You'll also notice that many reviewers have absolutely abysmal handwriting so you can't tell anything about the writing qualities of the nib/pen. If they can't write, there's no harm in having someone else do the writing.

In the "can't write" department... What most annoys me is someone "evaluating" a fountain pen who does not know how to write with a fountain pen. I see so many of these people writing as if they were using a ball point. I'm sure most learned to write with ball points, since most are of such an age. I learned to write with a fountain pen, and it's a whole different way of holding and moving the pen. Why would I trust your "writing sample" when you don't know how to write with a fountain pen? These are painful for me to watch, so I've mostly stopped.

Frankly, I can't imagine what joy there is in using a fountain pen if you don't know how to use it!
    The reason behind this is not that they do not know how to hold a fountain pen, but rather that they are trying to write round a camera and/or light tripod. It is occasionally mentioned. One of them (either Figboot or Penhabbit) did try showing the pen being used from the side, but it did not last long before they stopped - don't know if it was awkward to edit in or if they did not get the viewer feedback they were expecting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 27th, 2020)

Thanks

[QUOTE=dapprman;287015]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    One of the things most lacking in the videos is showing how the nibs differ and the angle to the paper to best use that nib.

You'll also notice that many reviewers have absolutely abysmal handwriting so you can't tell anything about the writing qualities of the nib/pen. If they can't write, there's no harm in having someone else do the writing.

In the "can't write" department... What most annoys me is someone "evaluating" a fountain pen who does not know how to write with a fountain pen. I see so many of these people writing as if they were using a ball point. I'm sure most learned to write with ball points, since most are of such an age. I learned to write with a fountain pen, and it's a whole different way of holding and moving the pen. Why would I trust your "writing sample" when you don't know how to write with a fountain pen? These are painful for me to watch, so I've mostly stopped.

Frankly, I can't imagine what joy there is in using a fountain pen if you don't know how to use it!
    The reason behind this is not that they do not know how to hold a fountain pen, but rather that they are trying to write round a camera and/or light tripod. It is occasionally mentioned. One of them (either Figboot or Penhabbit) did try showing the pen being used from the side, but it did not last long before they stopped - don't know if it was awkward to edit in or if they did not get the viewer feedback they were expecting.
    No, it is NOT about writing while hugging a tripod. I know how to hold and write with a fountain pen. I instantly recognize people who do NOT know.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Handwriting, and Artistry on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Probably it is a convenient way to extend video length so it can be monetized. I have seen way too many videos that do this, trying to fit a 5 minute video into 20 minutes.

Still, for me, packaging is worth a brief mention. About 15 seconds devoted to the box is more than enough.

The best videos are ones which focus on providing a nice serving of good content first and foremost.

I've made plenty of videos. Almost none with me in it. The one I did of me talking was insanely time consuming and difficult. So I definitely respect those that do this on the regular.
    Yeah, I always skip that first part. I have no time for it. I don't even like the parts-of-the-pen stuff. I just want to see it next to other pens and then see it at work in someone's hand. Just use it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 26th, 2020)

Thanks

No, it is NOT about writing while hugging a tripod. I know how to hold and write with a fountain pen. I instantly recognize people who do NOT know.
    Are you so so sure - because I call BS on you over that. Not sure which reviewer you are saying can not hold a fountain pen (and do you mean classical tripod, reverse tripod, 4 finger, cross top hold, cross under hold, ...)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    Are you so so sure - because I call BS on you over that. Not sure which reviewer you are saying can not hold a fountain pen (and do you mean classical tripod, reverse tripod, 4 finger, cross top hold, cross under hold, ...)
    Yes, I am so sure, as sure as Sister Thomas Bernard taught me. I also recognize "BS" when I see it. And YOU brought up the tripod so stop playing games!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Fermata (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post

Yes, I am so sure, as sure as Sister Thomas Bernard taught me. I also recognize "BS" when I see it. And YOU brought up the tripod so stop playing games!
    There is nothing to stop a reviewer handwriting a half page of script off camera, then produced as evidence, how the pen works for me is the Number 1 criteria but I dont actually need to see the ink coming out of the nib, if that is an insurmountable problem.

As much as I may like some reviewers and their good knowledge they just dont have a clue when it comes to making a nib work, especially on obliques which is my personal favourite.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I'm left-handed. My handwriting and use of a nib is never going to be like 95+ or so % of the people in the world, not to mention pen reviewers. Just like the weight of the pen in hand, and other things that simply can't be captured, I just try to get a basic idea from any review, print or vid, of how it writes. It is possible to expect too much from another person's viewpoint and presentation.

To expect calligraphic excellence from a video review would be pretty funny, since I'd never be able to replicate it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe you could upload a video sample of yourself in this same procedure so we can see how it is done properly.

I take these things for what they are: amateur presentations. Some of the people get fairly sophisticated but most of them have deficiencies in camera work, lighting, audio, and even penmanship. Hmmm... that is just some of the reasons I don't watch pen review videos!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Not a pen review, but showing that writing can be done in a homemade video.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,744 Posts

I may have mentioned this up-thread (or not! brain no work good now), but I was on the fence about the Lamy 2000 for a long time.

I am not nuts about piston-fillers, I thought it might be too heavy, that those tabs would irritate me, and that alleged teeny sweet spot would kill the experience.

What sold me was a SHORT video with no sound, no flapping head and no unboxing. Just a fellow writing with it...an EF. I bought my EF 2000 based on that alone, none of the above worries bothered me, and I've exclusively used that same ink as the reviewer.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 26th, 2020), sgphoto (March 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I may have mentioned this up-thread (or not! brain no work good now), but I was on the fence about the Lamy 2000 for a long time.

I am not nuts about piston-fillers, I thought it might be too heavy, that those tabs would irritate me, and that alleged teeny sweet spot would kill the experience.

What sold me was a SHORT video with no sound, no flapping head and no unboxing. Just a fellow writing with it...an EF. I bought my EF 2000 based on that alone, none of the above worries bothered me, and I've exclusively used that same ink as the reviewer.
    I still don't like those little "ears"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

I still don't like those little "ears"
    Same! They make my skin raw.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks

If Lamy were an Italian brand, we'd be referring to them as oricchiette.

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 28th, 2020), Chrissy (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Yes we would. kleine Ohren doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 28th, 2020 at 01:32 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Reviewers, Handwriting, Artistry, Youtube and Noteworthy Websites

Can we bring Pelahale back?

His reviews/ documentaries had so much substance. I was devastated to see them all gone...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you want documentaries you may want to check out Michael T Shue Studios on YouTube - he's not posted for a couple of years but has six videos in a Masters of the Fountain Pen series - including Hakase and Nakaya.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 31st, 2020)