Thread: Custom pen review: a commission from Den's Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Default Custom pen review: a commission from Den's Pens

In September/October last year I commissioned and received a custom pen design from Dennis Humm of Den's Pens (Security_Man2k) , and here it is! I've been using it for some of my InCoWriMo letters so have written at some length with it now.

IMG_20200305_224948-01_edit.jpg

This was my first commission - I have a pen from John Twiss bought at a pen show, but hadn't ordered one from scratch before. I'd met Dennis at the London pen club and have been watching his pen-making progress, so thought why not?

I want to say up front that this was a learning experience for both of us! For some of the things I requested, this was his first time doing them, and he's had a lot more time now to work out procedures.

I picked a nice DiamondCast alumilite material and gave him some requirements and sent an inspired-by photo - I was after a flat-top with a slight taper down through the body. Sent him money - mine was the next pen in the queue (now that's a bonus with a new maker!)

Dennis then sent me a photo of the cap and body made... and I really didn't like the clip and clip placement. I was a bit taken aback as I'd been expecting a design drawing before he made anything - on the other hand, I'd also not thought to ask for one! (This was definitely one of the learning moments and Dennis was very apologetic).

Used with permission, here's the pen design and sketch at that time.

IMG_20190924_232439_719_edit.jpg

I then asked for a modification and different clip - I wanted the clip centred horizontally on the cap, and to be one that went straight down from the clip ring, nothing going above that. (I hadn't given that much thought to clip designs before, until I was confronted by one I definitely didn't like! I took the time to work out exactly why I didn't like it, which was worthwhile).

This placement of the clip required the converter to be sunk further inside the body than usual, so there'd be enough clearance for the nib inside the cap. It would also have a shorter section than normal, and have more turns to unscrew section from body - this was all totally fine for me. I'm not fussy about section size in general and have pens of many different sizes, from slim little vintage ones on up. I kept his usual section shaping - had no special requirements there.

He sent me a scale sketch at this point to approve the changes, and that was fine! It also shows the alternative option, which would keep a full-length section but require a much longer cap in response (and have a generally different capped appearance) - that wasn't necessary.

IMG_20190926_153615_801_edit.jpg

He ordered an extra blank, and the new cap was made and clip fitted! He got enough to make a second pen to use the old cap, and said he'd show me both so I could choose (we arranged to meet up at the early-October London pen show for handover). I was pretty sure I'd want the new pen, and did!

I got the pen at the show and was happy with the looks, but noticed the finial was loose - he said to screw it round a bit more, and if it kept moving I could put some superglue on it. (As far as I recall, the exact words are fuzzy now).

Towards end of October, he contacted me asking if I'd had any trouble with the end of the pen - I said it still unscrewed sometimes and I was considering whether to try glue on it. He offered to make a replacement cap - I thought about it a couple of days and agreed. He said it had been bugging him too. I unscrewed it and had a look, basically the problem was that the threading on the plug-type interior part of the finial was very short, and barely there at all in once place so there wasn't a secure connection.

(I think the meeting at pen show may have added an extra time pressure that wasn't helpful - I also think that stopping and saying 'hey, I'm not happy that this is ready yet so I won't meet the time I said' is something that comes with experience. I didn't ask for that timing, but it is tricky to go back on that kind of thing).

So, the pen went back and got a new finial - it didn't need a whole cap remake. Also a repolish as he had new polishing wheels, so it was much shinier. The finial was fully secure but it did still have a gap the right side of the clip - I had a look inside and it was because there was a bit of end of screw thread at that point, so the interior channel for the clip ring wasn't fully level. The finial did screw on perfectly when the clip was not inserted. I could have sent it back again here, but honestly I thought I could fix it myself fairly easily. I used a needle file by hand to gradually smooth down and slightly enlarge the clip ring channel until the clip ring could sit properly flush. Job done, and sent a pic back. He apologised again and said hidden ring clips had been the bane of him.

I stress that this should no longer be an issue for any future orders!

Conclusion

So I think in terms of being new to making commissions, it is always worth explicitly asking up-front for a design sketch if you were expecting to receive one, particularly if you are working with a new maker. It's different if you're ordering an existing design (and that will be a safer bet with someone new) but this was an entirely new design. I had some preferences I wasn't aware of when deciding what to order, and my design choices had implications for the specifications of the rest of the pen that I wouldn't have thought of (but in this case they were of no import to me - YMMV). And part of working with a new maker may be that there's extra back-and-forth and snagging issues, especially if you are asking them to do something they aren't as practised at, but a successful conclusion that leaves you both happy is excellent!

Oh, and I was the one reluctant here to keep sending it back for more work - he always offered.

I love this pen now, and it contains many lessons!

IMG_20200305_224637-01_edit.jpgIMG_20200305_224743-01_edit.jpgIMG_20200305_224507-01_edit.jpg

I've had Diamine's Triple Chocolate from the Inkvent calendar in it, and it suits it greatly. I got it with a Bock B (Dennis has also since been working with Jowo nib units, I think) with the intention of possibly trying a CI grind on it, but honestly I like it the way it is. Maybe on another nib. I find it comfortable to write with - the threads and step down on the section aren't sharp, so are fine to rest your fingers against. I didn't need this to post, so it doesn't - it was an option.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

amk (March 6th, 2020), catbert (March 6th, 2020), CoffeeForTheAdmiral (November 29th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (March 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Custom pen review: a commission from Den's Pens

I love the material you chose for the pen. Such pretty colors!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

That's a lovely pen. It's fascinating to read about the process of getting it right - and it's particularly interesting that it wasn't just the pen maker learning a few lessons, but also the patron. It's nice to see that it worked out so well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Voiren (March 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

That's a beautiful pen! I would lose myself staring at it.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,132 Posts

The material is not for me but I like the overall form and especially how the clip turned out. Thanks for sharing the process.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Interesting material for the pen (and the overall effect is quite stunning). Is there a special market for this kind of material, or does it come from stock that is used in another industry?

Ta muchly,

Simon
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

This stuff in particular is made by https://www.mckenziepenworks.com/ "DiamondCast™ Blanks are made with Alumilite and our patent pending combination of diamond and pigments."

Alumilite itself is used in many industries for casting and making molds - resin casting and compatible dyes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you. I may have missed the word 'alumilite' when reading through the first post, or misread it as summat else. Either way it is a word that is unfamiliar to me, but no I shall go and look it up on the Internet!
    "Whenever you are about to find fault with someone, ask yourself the following question: What fault of mine most nearly resembles the one I am about to criticize?"
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations