Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: Where would you move if you could?

  1. #21
    Senior Member VertOlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    3,722
    Thanks
    3,797
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    Love St. Louis!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...Ē óSt. Augustine

  2. #22
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,099
    Thanks
    2,991
    Thanked 5,090 Times in 2,043 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    The other side, where the grass is greener.

    Seriously, I like it right here or else I'd leave.
    The grass is always greener on the other side.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  3. #23
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,134
    Thanks
    4,874
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 858 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    Love St. Louis!
    I miss it more and more each year I live in Lafayette. I might take your lead sometime soon! But there are compensations in Lafayette. I'm stage managing a play here: Ken Ludwig's The Game's Afoot.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (March 6th, 2020)

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,906
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 676 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    It has to be New Zealand please.
    I made the decision nearly twenty years ago. No regrets.
    Me too (17 yrs ago now), and also no regrets, though I miss family whom I've only visited twice in all that time. It's a beautiful place, in part because of the low population numbers. Sadly, as places around the world get worse people look to moving to nicer places, which inevitably get ruined by the influx over time. With luck I'll be dead before that happens here.


    If the world was doing well, and people respected where they lived, then I would have liked to retire and spend the short remaining years in the village of Malcesine on the shores of Lago di Garda (Northern Italy). It's a place where I felt an instant peace. Under the watchful eye of Monte Baldo, with cool fresh waters of the lake to swim. Mountain walks in the spring to view the arnica and gentians, and snow all around in the winter. Just south of the Alto Adige region, which is bursting with fruit orchards and vineyards. I used to speak fluent Italian, so picking the language up again would be no problem, but there is no chance of retiring there now, what with COVID-19 and Brexit (I'm a Brit) and so on.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 6th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

  6. #25
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,847
    Thanks
    5,118
    Thanked 7,432 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The grass is always greener on the other side.
    That's paint. The Marketing Dept. got involved...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  7. #26
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 519 Times in 237 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    And Lionís Choice roast beef, and toasted ravioli, and pork steaks, and...

  8. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Time
    Posts
    248
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 354 Times in 145 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    I was never an "if you could" person. Still remember the day in seventh grade when I made the decision to do exactly what I wanted to do in life, money, circumstances, etc. be damned. Have pretty much abided by that and never regretted it. When I didn't like the work I was doing, I found work I wanted to do. When I didn't like where I lived, I went to a place I wanted to be.

    If there were any other place to be, it would be...

    Strawberry Fields

    Nothing is real

    And nothing to get hung about

  9. #28
    Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 666 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Back in college, I made the decision to go on an adventure after graduation and while I was still young and free. I wanted an adventure that wasn't typical, so I moved to North Dakota. It's now 21 years later, and I'm still there.

    But I think that my retirement will take me elsewhere. Realistically, I'd like to move to New England just for the culture. I really don't fit in where I live, and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I'm personally conservative but politically liberal. Try being a liberal in rural North Dakota!

    But if I'm fantasizing: I have not traveled to any of these places, but they seem interesting.

    Uruguay: a fairly well-developed country with a good climate and a secular culture. In retirement, my money would go farther than anywhere in the US.
    Finland: I love the climate, the schools are amazing, and I think I would be a good cultural fit. As a bonus, I wouldn't have to drive if I lived there. I hate driving (another strike against rural North Dakota).

    There are other places, but those are the two that always come to mind when I think about it. And please don't take any of this to mean I hate where I live now. I'm just not thrilled with it like I once was. But there is still nothing like getting out away from people, and that's still pretty easy to do in North Dakota.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    catbert (March 7th, 2020), Deb (March 7th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (March 8th, 2020)

  11. #29
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,847
    Thanks
    5,118
    Thanked 7,432 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    There are other places, but those are the two that always come to mind when I think about it. And please don't take any of this to mean I hate where I live now. I'm just not thrilled with it like I once was. But there is still nothing like getting out away from people, and that's still pretty easy to do in North Dakota.
    I still have fond memories of some of the photos you have posted from your area, including the small one-room (am I remembering correctly) church. The spaciousness of the area is very freeing but, I imagine, can be lonely as well. Anyway, I know your enjoyment of your place came through, at least at that time.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    Waski_the_Squirrel (March 8th, 2020)

  13. #30
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    683
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 329 Times in 185 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Lafayette also has Bread and Circus Provisions. One of the best pizza's I've ever had. This coming from a lifelong resident of the NYC area.

  14. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    And Lionís Choice roast beef, and toasted ravioli, and pork steaks, and...
    I had my first experience with Lionís Choice earlier this year. Amazing fast food. Canít wait to visit again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #32
    Junior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Vermont. The most beautiful and peaceful place I've ever been, tied with standing on the beach on Cape Cod.

    But since that requires a change of nation, and that's not an easy or affordable option; Vancouver Island is looking pretty good. I want mountains, and ocean. Vancouver Island is looking like the only place I can realistically have both.

  16. #33
    Senior Member countrydirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked 249 Times in 136 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    I've lived in Colorado for 52 of my 56 years on this planet. We live about 60 miles from where I grew up. I can honestly say that as I've gotten older, I like Colorado even more. Sure, it seems to have a overwhelming number of legal marijuana shops and grow facilities and I don't partake of that, but as I look around at the number of liquor stores and bars (I don't partake of that either), both here and wherever I've traveled, I guess I don't see much of a difference. Take that for however you want to.

    Our little city of 150,000 is a blue collar place. We still have an operating steel mill, a thriving manufacturing culture and are positioned just about 2 hours from Denver. Close enough that we can go there if we want, but far enough away to not have to! We live about 6 miles from the city in a 40-50 year old development, so can be in town quickly for what ever we need, but again, far enough away that we aren't in the middle of it. I can see alfalfa and corn fields from my window and am soon adding a couple of beehives to our yard.

    I like our cultural blend in our city with around 50% Hispanic population (many tracing back to Native American from 300+ years ago), around 30% Italian or Eastern Europe groups who immigrated during the last century. The rest of us are mutts. The cultural mishmash brings out interesting food and entertainment options. The Groupo Folklorico is a local dance troup with Hispanic & Native American dances, the Tamburitzas are a Slovenian/Ukrainian dance group. We are the home to Solar Roast Coffee and the birthplace of the finest meal ever - the Green Chili Slopper. While our neighbors to the south in New Mexico may claim to have the best green chilis, those of us here, know that Pueblo Green Chilis are actually the best.

    I know I sound like a commercial for the Chamber of Commerce, but I love our area and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
    Last edited by countrydirt; March 8th, 2020 at 08:15 AM.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

    Deb (March 8th, 2020)

  18. #34
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    902
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 693 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

    Gordon, using Deb's account when she wasn't looking.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

    countrydirt (March 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 8th, 2020), junglejim (March 8th, 2020)

  20. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 350 Times in 177 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

    Gordon, using Deb's account when she wasn't looking.
    I am wondering if I bought a Waterman from you about 12 years ago, did you have a letterheading with a Border Collie on it?

  21. #36
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    902
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 693 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

    Gordon, using Deb's account when she wasn't looking.
    I am wondering if I bought a Waterman from you about 12 years ago, did you have a letterheading with a Border Collie on it?
    Allowing for the vagueness of my memory, I don't think so, though it isn't impossible. I hope it's a good Waterman anyway.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  22. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 350 Times in 177 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I was born and bred in Caithness, the northernmost county of Scotland. I couldn't wait to get out into the (supposedly) more sophisticated world elsewhere and I left at 15. I lived in many places and, as someone said earlier, I was never in any place I was anxious to get out of. Three years ago a concatenation of circumstances enforced a return to Caithness. I never really yearned to return to the county of my birth but now I'm here, living among the familiar places and hearing the inimitable accent all around, I realise I did want to be here, at some level, all along. Seems I moved to where I wanted to be.

    Gordon, using Deb's account when she wasn't looking.
    I am wondering if I bought a Waterman from you about 12 years ago, did you have a letterheading with a Border Collie on it?
    Allowing for the vagueness of my memory, I don't think so, though it isn't impossible. I hope it's a good Waterman anyway.
    It was a 501 in pale grey, perfect nib, one of the many that I wish I still owned. Pale grey pens struggle in the glamour department but it remained a good 'un. The only thing I recall about the purchase was that the seller lived in your part of the world and sent a letter with with pen saying that they hoped I liked the pen, the letter had a Border Collie on the top.

  23. #38
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,514
    Thanks
    902
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 693 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    It might have been. 12 years ago we were considering setting up a pen business and we didn't use the headed paper then that we do now. 12 years ago is the dim and foggy past, to me.

    I like pale grey pens if the colour is good. Both Parker and Swan grey pens are subject to yellowing which makes them unlovely but a good grey 1950s Swan or Parker Victory is a very nice pen indeed. The 501 grey is a different plastic and doesn't seem to suffer from discolouring.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

  24. #39
    Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 666 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I still have fond memories of some of the photos you have posted from your area, including the small one-room (am I remembering correctly) church. The spaciousness of the area is very freeing but, I imagine, can be lonely as well. Anyway, I know your enjoyment of your place came through, at least at that time.
    I still enjoy the scenery. It's a different kind of beauty from what I grew up with. And I love the wide-open spaces and the ability to go out and just be truly alone. I suspect I recall the exact picture you're talking about. It wasn't a one-room church, but close enough. Very small and very rural. And I do love that. I guess what has me rethinking things is that over the past few years I've felt that people are less open minded, more dogmatic, and less willing to disagree. I've lost a few friends the past few years because I preferred a different candidate for president than they did. It's not like that was a new thing, but their reaction to it was.

    Of course, you have to love stuff like this:

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    countrydirt (March 8th, 2020), empliau (March 11th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 8th, 2020)

  26. #40
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,134
    Thanks
    4,874
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 858 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    And Lionís Choice roast beef, and toasted ravioli, and pork steaks, and...
    And provel cheese, don't forget.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •