Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you move if you could?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Lafayette also has Bread and Circus Provisions. One of the best pizza's I've ever had. This coming from a lifelong resident of the NYC area.
    Oddly enough, I've never eaten anything from there. A lot of people swear by Deano's, but I've only been there once. Some people like Pizza Village. I'd rather have an Old Tyme oyster poboy. Or broiled oysters at Josephine's in Carencro.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I would like to move back to St. Louis to be near my family and King of the Hill sandwiches.
    And Lion’s Choice roast beef, and toasted ravioli, and pork steaks, and...
    I had my first experience with Lion’s Choice earlier this year. Amazing fast food. Can’t wait to visit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go to Michael's Tavern in Maplewood instead. Much more interesting food (and toasted ravioli).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

the grass isn't always greener... i'd stay put.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 85AKbN For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Anywhere within the US would do it for me. I've wanted to live there for as long as I can remember, but, sadly, it's impossible for all but the superrich to get in. I have to satisfy myself with holidays.
    Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system? Our immigration system is broken and worthless. I won't deny that, but to the best of my knowledge it's still just a stupid lottery where you submit an application and we draw names of out a hat, regardless of whether or not the applicant is going to be a useful addition to the country. I struggle with this at work when potential new hires require sponsorship of a work visa. Intelligent people who will contribute to society and the economy, and the process is a guessing game at best. So depressing.

As for me, there are numerous place I've visited and would like to live. Germany was quite pleasant and the public transportation in Köln, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt are soooo much better than what I'm used to in metro Detroit, Michigan. Weather is similar. Geography is similar. But there is more history to explore and easier access to other countries with more history to explore. But if I had to pack up and move tomorrow I think I'd end up somewhere in the mountains of Colorado, USA. I've been out there a few times for ski trips and I would never tire of the views. As I enjoy skiing I don't mind the cold and the snow. Unfortunately there are no jobs for mechanical engineers in Colorado. I've looked, numerous times .

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Anywhere within the US would do it for me. I've wanted to live there for as long as I can remember, but, sadly, it's impossible for all but the superrich to get in. I have to satisfy myself with holidays.
    Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system?
    I'm a Brit and was referring to Brits. Brits have never been able to enter the green card lottery, so options for a green card either mean getting employed by a US Company who will get you a green card, or by buying a US Investment Visa and running your own Company. Current cost $1,000,000. Something for rich people but not a work around. Other option is to get 6 monthly visas that mean you have to keep a permanent residence in the UK and travel between both Countries every 6 months and hope your visas will be renewed.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 10th, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Referring to the cost of visa application and then potential green card / permanent resident application, or suggesting that being rich lets you work around the system?
    I'm a Brit and was referring to Brits. Brits have never been able to enter the green card lottery, so options for a green card either mean getting employed by a US Company who will get you a green card, or by buying a US Investment Visa and running your own Company. Current cost $1,000,000. Something for rich people but not a work around. Other option is to get 6 monthly visas that mean you have to keep a permanent residence in the UK and travel between both Countries every 6 months and hope your visas will be renewed.
    It becomes ever more expensive in both directions. I married a Scotsman and moved here in 2008. The business of obtaining a spouse visa and subsequently indefinite leave to remain was very expensive ( and stressful!) It is much, much more expensive now. In fact, I would not be able to move to Scotland today - not wealthy enough. That's what happens when nations imagine they are more important than people.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Rose Island.
    Would've been a nice place. I don't know. The few who remember it said it was pretty cool.
    Except Italian Navy tore it down for some reason.

Thanks

Perhaps there are some underlying words in laws which need updating now that we're no longer dumping tea in the harbor and fighting over taxes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

dumping tea in the harbor
    That's no way to make a cup of tea.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 11th, 2020), VertOlive (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks

New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation. Ballparks, museums, concert halls, colleges and universities, good academic libraries and a good public library system. Restaurants. Music in the evenings -- in fact, many musicians looking to play wherever they can, so a lot of it is inexpensive. So may neighborhoods. Our daughter lives here. Housing is too expensive, but that's the way it is across the US anyplace that has jobs.

Thanks

The last time I was in NYC I vowed to never return. That has been an easy vow to keep. The people are rude and the public servants are surly. Anyone willing to put up with that deserves it.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

dneal (February 1st, 2021), Dreck (December 31st, 2020), Scrawler (August 18th, 2020), sgphoto (March 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation....
    Wow! You need to get out of NYC more often, and visit places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Portland (Ore.). NYC's rail traction has been the most decrepit and poorly maintained in the US, with signaling equipment that should be in museums.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 11th, 2020), dneal (February 1st, 2021), sgphoto (March 11th, 2020)

Thanks

New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation. Ballparks, museums, concert halls, colleges and universities, good academic libraries and a good public library system. Restaurants. Music in the evenings -- in fact, many musicians looking to play wherever they can, so a lot of it is inexpensive. So may neighborhoods. Our daughter lives here. Housing is too expensive, but that's the way it is across the US anyplace that has jobs.
    I have to agree with Fred. You might need to get out and gain some perspective. Aside from public transportation and over-priced housing you just described Detroit. And the public transportation in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and metro D.C. are as good or better than NYC.

I don't mean this to detract from NYC. It's an amazing place and I have plenty of friends who also live there and love it. It's just that your claims appear to be based on ignorance and not fact.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    No, but if you have enough tea, it's a great way to make a harbor of tea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    New York City. I live in NYC and have lived here for 50 years. Only city in the US with good public transportation....
    Wow! You need to get out of NYC more often, and visit places like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Portland (Ore.). NYC's rail traction has been the most decrepit and poorly maintained in the US, with signaling equipment that should be in museums.
    Fred, come on up to Boston and take the T sometime. Makes NJ transit seem like a limousine service.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    No, but if you have enough tea, it's a great way to make a harbor of tea.
    Only if you like salty tea. (Going to need yak butter.)

Thanks

I know where I would go. I would go back to Konstanz, Germany. I did my study abroad there and wish I could travel there whenever the whim takes me.

It's a good sized, but small town on the southern German boarder with Switzerland. The lake is fed by alpine runoff and it marks the Km 0 of the Rhine. On clear days you can see the alps looking down on the city from the horizon and in summer the surrounding agricultural areas are abundant with fresh fruit and vegetables.

A long stretch from my upbringing in northern Arizona.

I broke off a piece of my heart there and buried it near the river. I have the location marked where, when I die, I want someone, anyone really, to take my ashes to a certain spot on the river and sprinkle me into it that I may never leave it again.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Fred, come on up to Boston and take the T sometime. Makes NJ transit seem like a limousine service.
    I used the T regularly several years ago. I don't know NJ transit except looking at it from Amtrak windows heading north from Trenton to Penn Station (the latter being another example of awful NYC transport decisions).

Thanks

Sweden, in a heartbeat.
    fountain pens are for drawing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I've often thought that I'd like to live in New Zealand, but I'm pretty well settled in here in rural Northern California, and don't really want to uproot myself and start all over again somewhere else. There's a lot about California that I don't like, such as the high taxes, oppressive state government policies, and omnipresence of glorious people's revolutionary political correctness, but much of the land is absolutely gorgeous. Here is a photo of a beach not far from where I live (I used to live within close walking distance of it, but have moved a few miles away since):

Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 13th, 2020), VertOlive (December 16th, 2020), Yazeh (December 17th, 2020)