Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you move if you could?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

In New Zealand you're never more than 74 miles from the coast. As you may imagine, in the South Island which has mountain ranges, you will often be within visual distance of both sea and mountains. It is possible to ski in the morning and surf the afternoon! The landscape here is dramatic and incredibly beautiful. There are no dangerous animals - though we do have a the katipo (a relative of the black widow) but they are rare and you are unlikely to come across one. However, as wonderful as the landscape is, hiking in it requires knowledge and good outdoor skills, as the conditions can change quickly - especially the river levels. We do have fantastic SAR teams though, if you do get into grief.

This is where I live (more or less where the white dot is) at the beginning of the 20km long Otago Peninsula.

You can cycle trails on the peninsula like this.

And I work at this University.

Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 13th, 2020 at 05:07 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 16th, 2020), calamus (March 14th, 2020), catbert (March 15th, 2020), Yazeh (December 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I don't know. I hardly ever dream like this. I'm quite content and often don't look past the trees in my yard or the vegetables in my garden. I'm kinda done with shoveling and raking, though. Both seem endless activities here in Maine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Japan! Probably down on Kyushu as it is a bit warmer during the winter months.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Thing is... grass is everywhere! Or everywhere enough.

I LOVED New York when I lived there 20 years ago. As soon as I emerged from Penn Station, I felt New York embrace me and whisper "Welcome home," and I said back, "I love you, too. Don't tell San Francisco."

I loved the energy -- so alive and filled with stories!

Maybe cos I'm older and not at all affluent, hahaha, I can't imagine living there. I've become, um, crowd-averse, long before COVID-19. Wrocław is the perfect size, the population of residential San Francisco (not commuter/worker San Francisco) but in a much bigger space. Only one skyscraper here, which acts as a beacon when I'm out riding my bicycle outside the city.

I love this city's history and the architecture (from the turn of the 19th century; not so much the current trend of shoeboxes, nor the style of the building where I live, the Efficient, Soul-Crushing Red-Army Troops of Rectangles). This is a university city and a tech hub. LG has headquarters here, which means a large Korean community, which means Korean grocery stores (not many), which means some Asian food products, thank gawd, hahaha. Weirdly, there have been waves of food trends, from burgers (beginning with the food-truck Pasibus) to pizza to... sushi. I'd have expected more Korean grill joints, but okay.

I love the parks and boulevards and bike paths. I love the cultural offerings, even if I take them for granted (too busy riding my bike all around, hahaha) -- and, of course, now, all of that is shut down. Museums and such, closed for a couple of weeks already; parks and boulevards and places where people tend to congregate on a beautiful day... now, all verboten, zakazane, zabrione, forbidden, with fines from 5000 zł up to 30,000 zł.

But it's a still a beautiful city. Since I expect the bans to be in effect for longer than two weeks, a month, maybe even 'til the end of May (optimistically, but it might go longer), maybe I'll finally get around to the tens of thousands of photos I've taken and the stories I've squirrelled away and finally start putting them all together. Or keep shredding my notebooks. (Laughs.)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

bebox (December 18th, 2020), catbert (April 1st, 2020), Deb (April 1st, 2020), Lady Onogaro (December 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Hard question! If I was asked a few years ago I would certainly pick the USA. But under new circumstances I clearly see that America is not perfect at all. So I guess I would choose to stay somewhere in Europe. I guess my pick would be Spain eventually. I am living in Wales and not long ago stumbled upon a very interesting article about moving to Spain https://virtoproperty.com/info/movin...n-after-brexit, its pros and cons (about banking, visa requirements, finding a job, bringing a pet to the country etc.) So now I can surely say that my choice is Spain!
    Last edited by John Macmillan; April 21st, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I spent a summer during grad school interning at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque. When we visited Santa Fe, I really thought I would like to live there. I wouldn't take that too seriously, since we haven't even been back in the intervening 28 years, but I don't recall feeling that way about anywhere else I've ever visited. OTOH, when a senior colleague of mine semi-retired from where I work, he moved to Santa Fe, and I'm sure he could have moved anywhere he wanted.
    --
    Mike

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Thing is... grass is everywhere! Or everywhere enough.

I LOVED New York when I lived there 20 years ago. As soon as I emerged from Penn Station, I felt New York embrace me and whisper "Welcome home," and I said back, "I love you, too. Don't tell San Francisco."

I loved the energy -- so alive and filled with stories!
    This is a great description of New York. Thanks for sharing it.

The city seems to play favourites. It never whispered in my ear. Some of those stories are pretty horrific, with no happy ending and no redemption. No one learns from them, either. (Seinfeld had that right.) And there are so many of the bad stories now.
    Last edited by guyy; April 15th, 2020 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Prague and I fell in love with it. For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is fine (I just don't like hot weather).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiwi For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I've not visited too many places. Of those I think I would love living in Rome. Being surrounded by ancient ruins and all the beauty must make for better quality of living. I'm sure I would love other places in Europe too. Vienna seemed great. We need to travel more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    ...We need to travel more.
    Yes, but put that thought on hold pending an effective vaccine.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 12th, 2020), Chrissy (August 12th, 2020)

Thanks

My home and most of my family most of my family are in Sydney, but I also have family in Goulburn. It's quieter. I'm staying where I am, but Goulburn would be the first choice.

agrissol

I don't know if I'm ready to move....

Thanks

If I didn't have the respiratory allergies that plague me in damper (as in damper than high desert) climates, I would move to Yorkshire in the UK. I think it's beautiful there. Another possible place would be Aarhus, Denmark. That's where my maternal grandfather's ancestors were from, and I know I could find employment in the hospital there. Yes, I know it's cold and grey there. After decades in a sunny high-altitude desert, I would love to see grey skies. Or perhaps somewhere in Belgium, Luxemburg or rural Germany. Okay, pretty much anywhere in Northern Europe or the UK, as long as it's not too large of a city (London itself is right out) would suit me. Well, except for the breathing as I mentioned first. I like breathing.

Thanks

'I like breathing.'
    There's a lot to be said for breathing. I'm quite in favour of it myself -- been doing it for years now.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Carpio (May 21st, 2023), Yazeh (December 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwi View Post
    I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Prague and I fell in love with it. For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is fine (I just don't like hot weather).
    Unlike you winter is my favourite season so I like when it is cold, extremely cold. Perfect place is the North Pole ( I happened to be there last year thanks to poseidonexpeditions.com/.
    Last edited by Fregot; December 16th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

New Orleans. (If money were no object.)

I had the privilege of visiting New Orleans during the Mardi Gras in 1990. My ex's employer required she participate in a training session in New Orleans then. Starting from the time I boarded the plane going there, there was a sense of FUN.

By law, bars in New York State must close by 1:00 or 2:00 (I'm not sure); in New York City they must close by 4:00. In New Orleans they never close.
    Imagine Muzak, elevator music being replaced by jazz.

I wish.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Thanks

Back to Florida, gulf coast.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Away from the Gulf Coast (I'm tired of hurricanes here in Louisiana and the costs of cleaning up after them). I'd like to go back to St. Louis where my family is located.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Years ago, I answered a similar question and I'm sticking with my answer from then. Anywhere with money no object? A large, sea fairing, private yacht (with full crew, of course). Circling the globe...

Thanks

What a lovely thread, thanks for sharing, y'all.

I'm partial for cold weather myself. Lived too long in a tropical metropolis, I guess
    I'd move to northern Norway.
    At the end of a nice Fjord close to Tromsö or maybe in the Lofoten.

Only downside is the lack of nice fountain pen shops in the neighbourhood.
    But online shopping will do just fine.