Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you move if you could?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

I was considering whether Donald might award me a free Green Card if I wrote to him? Just in case he either can't find enough people to pardon or wants to branch out and do something different?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Zoe (December 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Very late to the party, Amsterdam, where I lived moons ago, and in the States, Brera, Ky or Brattleboro, Vt.

Thanks

Yakutsk would be on my list--as long as I had a cord of wood a day to burn. There is something interesting about living in the coldest city in the world and still having the amenities of a large city. Well maybe living there half the year as the winters are beyond brutal.

Chrissy, if you are interested in living in the USA I would recommend Flynt Michigan. Houses can be purchased for almost next to nothing. Better bring a life time of bottled water though as the water supply is contaminated with lead.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roe D Hym For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Mt. Shasta, California
    There is hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and four wheeling. Best of all, the people are really friendly and laid back, like they used to be all over California 40 years ago.

Since a video is worth a million words, here are two additional reasons:
    https://youtu.be/bYP6lVZ9lAk
    https://youtu.be/mVZ7f3F_nsM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I was considering whether Donald might award me a free Green Card if I wrote to him? Just in case he either can't find enough people to pardon or wants to branch out and do something different?
    He might. The same goes for Joe.

If you really do want to come to the US, why not get a job at a UK company with a US branch? Numerous coworkers at a previous company transferred out here, and said it was easier than coming to the US by other means. The company deals with the paperwork and you have a job when you hit US shores. We might have two deranged political parties, but we also have no television tax and gasoline is 50p / litre or less. Often a lot less.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    He might. The same goes for Joe.

If you really do want to come to the US, why not get a job at a UK company with a US branch? Numerous coworkers at a previous company transferred out here, and said it was easier than coming to the US by other means. The company deals with the paperwork and you have a job when you hit US shores. We might have two deranged political parties, but we also have no television tax and gasoline is 50p / litre or less. Often a lot less.
    I don't really want/need a job as we're both retired and are enjoying life with good private pensions. Given a straight choice of selling our house here and moving to the US we would do that. Although a Green Card is technically for a working person to live and work in the US, it's the only way to own one property and live there. The alternative of being required to own two homes and travelling to the UK and back every 6 months on a visa is unattractive.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tivi View Post
    I'm dreaming about moving to Europe. Last year I went to Murcia, Spain and I fell in love with that. For me it's a perfect mixture of history and modern life. And of course I like the weather, winter is not too cold, perfect fall and spring, summer is great
    A friend of mine is currently living there. He moved from Denmark which is not compatible for warm-weather lovers

Thanks

I would move to Geneva and live near a lake. Clean air and a measured routine - there's nothing better

Thanks

Tonga.

I was there a few years ago, walking down the main street late afternoon, I was thirsty and looking for somewhere that might sell a cold drink. I saw a store at the end of the road with a verandah and tables, I went insode, it turned out to be a pharmacy. I asked if they had anything to drink, the pharmacist said, go and sit down, I will bring something out. He brought some coconut milk and sat down with me. I asked why there were so many people around. The pharmacist, about 6'6" and wearing a white skirt, told me that when the coconut crop is gathered in we take it easy. he went on, 'I took my exams in New Zealand, do you know that there are people in New Zealand who go to work 9-5 for five days a week, every week, incredible.

Sounds good to me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 2nd, 2021), fountainpenkid (July 26th, 2021)

Thanks

If I could choose any place on the earth to move and settle down, I really can't name something specific, I want to travel the world first, know other cultures more closely. Want to travel on a yacht like https://ragnaryacht.com/

Thanks

Spent a year on St. Croix. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could. Beaches are just as beautiful as the other US Virgin Islands but it doesn't get as crowded in the tourist season.
    Beautiful place.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Right now? Into any condo where I don't have to shovel snow.

Thanks

If anything, you can familiarize yourself with the places and directions for moving in the blog of the new website of the Merbrands. The travel section contains very interesting articles. I recommend!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roe D Hym View Post
    Yakutsk would be on my list--as long as I had a cord of wood a day to burn. There is something interesting about living in the coldest city in the world and still having the amenities of a large city. Well maybe living there half the year as the winters are beyond brutal. Also I would put St Petersburg to the list. I had a great opportunity to travel there last autumn via Vodohod. The whole trip made an indelible impression on me!

Chrissy, if you are interested in living in the USA I would recommend Flynt Michigan. Houses can be purchased for almost next to nothing. Better bring a life time of bottled water though as the water supply is contaminated with lead.
    I heard something about Yakutsk from a friend of mine who lived there for a month or so. I guess it would really be interesting to live there for some time but not for a long period. Say, a week would be more than enough

Thanks

As an American I feel universally hated worldwide, but if I could find peace and stability and live anywhere...
    Africa.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    As an American I feel universally hated worldwide, but if I could find peace and stability and live anywhere...
    Africa.
    People may hate America in the abstract, but they doesn't mean they'll hate you.

I had the good fortune to meet Nagahara Nobuyoshi (the elder Nagahara), Sailor's nib meister par excellence. He asked me where i was from and i said America. He told me "I should hate you. You know, i was in Hiroshima that day." But he didn't hate me. We chatted and joked around and discussed pens.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Africa.
    People may hate America in the abstract, but they doesn't mean they'll hate you.

I had the good fortune to meet Nagahara Nobuyoshi (the elder Nagahara), Sailor's nib meister par excellence. He asked me where i was from and i said America. He told me "I should hate you. You know, i was in Hiroshima that day." But he didn't hate me. We chatted and joked around and discussed pens.
    Wow...a real survivor of nuclear disaster...that's amazing!!

You are correct. I've traveled a bit and while people did not like Americas policies or involvement in world affairs...they were ultimately very kind to me.
    However, I was simply traveling for work and ultimately going to leave to come back home to the USA.
    Moving permanently to another country would be something completely different and bears much more consideration than just traveling/visiting abroad.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I moved to another country. How much consideration is required depends on the degree of difference between where you are and where you are going. Principally it will be language, then culture or climate, then anything else. In my view, it's just moving house, only a bit further. Going from UK to New Zealand wasn't a big deal in terms of adaptation. The draw was mainly to do with fewer people and a better environment (in my opinion). It has its drawbacks - not the best-serviced country for goods, a bit geographically isolated despite air travel being relatively cheap - but the pros outweighed the cons for me 18 years ago and still do, though I cannot say with any confidence that this will always be the case.

Bottom line? If you see such a move as a positive opportunity you should just go for it. Better than a lifetime of regretting not doing stuff.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (July 27th, 2021), TSherbs (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

We lived on Lyttelton Harbour, south of Christchurch, and also in Grafton, Auckland next to the Domain. On our excursions, we visited almost the whole country apart from the far south: Invercargill, Stewart Island.

I liked the people and the civil culture (good public transport, lots of public toilets, active arts and cultural scene, brilliant food and wine. The sailing is incredible. Likewise the fishing. It's not as clean and green as I expected, what with the timbering, dairying, sheep farming and the export trade they drive. I'm married to a biologist/enviromental law prof and she kept me well informed.

As far as places to live, I'd be keen on Napier and Hawkes Bay. Also Russell and the Bay of Islands. Some friends have a place, a stomped-out cow farm near Whangarei Heads, that they're restoring as a nature reserve. Around Keri-Keri is also pleasant.

But the prices of property and houses have gone mad. Quite a few rich folks around the world see it as a refuge from global catastrophe (which they have no small part in causing). So I'll stay put, I reckon.
    Last edited by Chip; July 30th, 2021 at 08:05 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

eachan (July 31st, 2021), guyy (July 30th, 2021), TSherbs (August 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Probably Switzerland, because it's exactly like Slovenia (also alpine country, very clean, lowest crime rates, etc.), except richer. Alternatively, New Zealand for the nature. I would also be fine with Norway or Scotland.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

AzJon (August 2nd, 2021)