Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where would you move if you could?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 676 Posts

Default Re: Where would you move if you could?

In New Zealand you're never more than 74 miles from the coast. As you may imagine, in the South Island which has mountain ranges, you will often be within visual distance of both sea and mountains. It is possible to ski in the morning and surf the afternoon! The landscape here is dramatic and incredibly beautiful. There are no dangerous animals - though we do have a the katipo (a relative of the black widow) but they are rare and you are unlikely to come across one. However, as wonderful as the landscape is, hiking in it requires knowledge and good outdoor skills, as the conditions can change quickly - especially the river levels. We do have fantastic SAR teams though, if you do get into grief.

This is where I live (more or less where the white dot is) at the beginning of the 20km long Otago Peninsula.

You can cycle trails on the peninsula like this.

And I work at this University.

Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 13th, 2020 at 05:07 PM.
    The thing is, we're all pretty on edge at the moment. It would be great of people could be considerate of others in these matters. Not much else will change the situation beyond that. - Jon Szanto

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 16th, 2020), calamus (March 14th, 2020), catbert (March 15th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't know. I hardly ever dream like this. I'm quite content and often don't look past the trees in my yard or the vegetables in my garden. I'm kinda done with shoveling and raking, though. Both seem endless activities here in Maine.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jiklon View Post
    Where would you move if you could?
    Mars

In the alternative: Tristan da Cunha I can buy writing paper, postage stamps and maybe even ink, there.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 31st, 2020 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiklon View Post
    Where would you move if you could?
    Mars.
    Bad Luck

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 1st, 2020), FredRydr (March 31st, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Japan! Probably down on Kyushu as it is a bit warmer during the winter months.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 455 Posts

Thing is... grass is everywhere! Or everywhere enough.

I LOVED New York when I lived there 20 years ago. As soon as I emerged from Penn Station, I felt New York embrace me and whisper "Welcome home," and I said back, "I love you, too. Don't tell San Francisco."

I loved the energy -- so alive and filled with stories!

Maybe cos I'm older and not at all affluent, hahaha, I can't imagine living there. I've become, um, crowd-averse, long before COVID-19. Wrocław is the perfect size, the population of residential San Francisco (not commuter/worker San Francisco) but in a much bigger space. Only one skyscraper here, which acts as a beacon when I'm out riding my bicycle outside the city.

I love this city's history and the architecture (from the turn of the 19th century; not so much the current trend of shoeboxes, nor the style of the building where I live, the Efficient, Soul-Crushing Red-Army Troops of Rectangles). This is a university city and a tech hub. LG has headquarters here, which means a large Korean community, which means Korean grocery stores (not many), which means some Asian food products, thank gawd, hahaha. Weirdly, there have been waves of food trends, from burgers (beginning with the food-truck Pasibus) to pizza to... sushi. I'd have expected more Korean grill joints, but okay.

I love the parks and boulevards and bike paths. I love the cultural offerings, even if I take them for granted (too busy riding my bike all around, hahaha) -- and, of course, now, all of that is shut down. Museums and such, closed for a couple of weeks already; parks and boulevards and places where people tend to congregate on a beautiful day... now, all verboten, zakazane, zabrione, forbidden, with fines from 5000 zł up to 30,000 zł.

But it's a still a beautiful city. Since I expect the bans to be in effect for longer than two weeks, a month, maybe even 'til the end of May (optimistically, but it might go longer), maybe I'll finally get around to the tens of thousands of photos I've taken and the stories I've squirrelled away and finally start putting them all together. Or keep shredding my notebooks. (Laughs.)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 1st, 2020), Deb (April 1st, 2020)