Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Essay on Writer's Pen

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Default Re: Essay on Writer's Pen

When I read articles on the internet or see writing on TV am amazed how awful the spelling and grammar are. Looks like these freelancers do a quick spell check and submit without taking time to proofread themselves. One tine there was a sentence I could not interpret at all. Spelling is bad even on the crawls on TV. Where are the editors? I have not read item at the top of the thread but I will.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

"The writers Perfect Pen" link was at start of thread.
    I was not impressed by this essay. It seemed to go off on tangents and I don't think the poetry added anything. I did not get the essays purpose and was glad it was short.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharmon202 View Post
    When I read articles on the internet or see writing on TV am amazed how awful the spelling and grammar are. Looks like these freelancers do a quick spell check and submit without taking time to proofread themselves. One tine there was a sentence I could not interpret at all. Spelling is bad even on the crawls on TV. Where are the editors? I have not read item at the top of the thread but I will.
    If you want to see just how bad it is, try putting closed captioning on and watch a few TV shows comparing what is said and what is CC'ed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (April 29th, 2021)

Thanks

1/ You are hoping that your grandmother/parishoners/pupils won't pick up a book you wrote that full of libidinous, salacious sex scenes, with your name on the cover.

2/ Some authors have more than one pen name. The pen name is a "brand" for a particular genre. Some authors write literary fiction undoer one name, and slushy romantic fiction/SF/westerns. It gives each series/style its own identity.

3/ J K Rowling used a pen name for her detective fiction to see if she could prove herself to be a writer of more than Harry Potter. The detective novels do get into the best seller lists, so maybe it works.

4/ You don't want the authorities to know that it is you that is accusing them of genocide.

5/ To avoid prosecution for obscentiy or whatever.

6/ Too many John Smiths.

7/ To add an air or mystery and intrigue. Sometimes foreign names sound better.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (May 1st, 2021), TSherbs (August 2nd, 2021)