Thread: FS: Collection of 5 Oversized Sheaffer Balances

Thanks

Default FS: Collection of 5 Oversized Sheaffer Balances

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple months. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS (except #5), CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING ISSUES. All except for #5 are in excellent to near mint condition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the Balances below have correct proportions for oversized Balances (the model Sheaffer would later call the Premier), measuring roughly 5 1/2" capped and having cap openings > 1/2" in diameter.

1. c.1930 Oversized Sheaffer Balance - Marine Green (GPT, lever filler, 14k XF nib). Earlier model with long, humped clip bearing Sheaffer's trademark. 14k monotone Lifetime nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line. No discernible brassing on the trim. Color is even across barrel and cap. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep and fully legible. One pin-sized ding on the cap band, otherwise near mint. (Please forgive the residual ink on the nib in some of the photos) Price: $250 $225 SOLD

2. c.1934-5 Oversized Sheaffer Balance - Black and Pearl (GPT, lever filler, 14k XF nib). If you're at all familiar with Balances, you know that the vast majority of these show moderate to severe discoloration. The color of this one is superb. I'd grade it to be about 9/10, with only slight yellowing to the middle of the barrel (mostly around the lever). 14k monotone Lifetime nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line. Gold-plated trim shows no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep and fully legible. Price: $320 $300 $280

3. c.1935-9 Oversized Sheaffer Balance - Ebonized Pearl (GPT, lever filler, 14k F nib). What many consider to be the prettiest Balance color pattern, featuring genuine abalone flakes embedded in the celluloid that coruscate and appear to change colors under light as the pen is turned. 14k two-tone Lifetime nib with upturned point lays down a smooth and consistent F line. Color is 10/10, having none of the darkening that dulls the color of the abalone flakes underneath. Gold-plated trim shows no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep and fully legible. Price: $380 SOLD

4. c.1935-6 Oversized Sheaffer Balance – Grey Pearl (NPT, lever filler, 14k M nib). Made for only 2-3 years, Grey Pearl is the scarcest of all OS Balance colors – even harder to find than Roseglow. And when they do turn up, they're typically discolored to green with trim severely brassed/corroded. This pen is far nicer than most. Color is evenly grey across the barrel and cap. Trim is unusually clean aside from light pitting on the lever and top of the clip. There is also one dent in the cap band on the back of the cap (will send photo upon request as I forgot to shoot this detail). Ink view window in the section is actually nicer than captured in the photos – great clarity and only lightly yellowed. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep and fully legible. 14k two-tone Lifetime nib with upturned point lays down a smooth and consistent M line with nice, wet flow. Price: $440 $400 $380

5. c.1935-9 Oversized Sheaffer Balance - Black (GPT, lever filler, 14k M/B nib). A user-grade pen I had kicking around that I thought I'd include, just for ducks. 14k two-tone Lifetime nib with upturned point lays down a smooth and consistent M/B line with nice, wet flow. Nib has hairline extending from the breather to the engraved line below "Sheaffer's." Sliver of brassing on the bottom of the cap band 2/3 the way around and a larger spot on one side of the cap band (see photo). Typical crescent of brassing on the bottom of the clip ball as well. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep and fully legible. Price: All reasonable offers considered SOLD

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5

USPS Priority with tracking for $8

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Free shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to reply PM me with firm request to purchase. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs after a hold is placed, then pen(s) may become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for well over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

Last edited by popcod; March 29th, 2020 at 02:25 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

dbrfreak (March 9th, 2020), FredRydr (March 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Collection of 5 Oversized Sheaffer Balances

Prices reduced

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

weekend bump

Thanks

Bump for final reduction