Thread: Omas 360 pen to nib alignment?

Thanks

Default Omas 360 pen to nib alignment?

Hello, All,

I bought an Omas 360 on eBay.
    I loved how the pen felt dipped. The nib collar was deteriorated and the nib pulled out the moment I touched it.
    I bought an old replacement collar from Italy.
    Here’s my problem:
    I have to commit the nib to an orientation in the barrel collar before I screw it in. I didn’t take a photo or make a diagram, so I don’t know the original ( very satisfactory ) alignment of the nib with one of the 3 “ribs” of the barrel.
    Could one of you with a 360 post a photo or a drawing of your ( satisfactory ) nib to pen alignment.

Many thanks,
    Russ in California

BTW, the eBay fellow was selling for a friend whose dad had died. We came to a mutually agreeable compromise on the price and got to be friends in the process. Always nice to pass on good news.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Omas 360 pen to nib alignment?

I believe it will be trial and error for your particular pen. Each Omas 360 will have it's nib to pen aligned as it left the factory, in line with one of the facets so that it's at a comfortable position for finger and thumb. All pictures of this pen will show the same image - a nib aligned with a section rib.

You will either have to try and align it yourself by screwing in the nib & collar and seeing where the nib ends up, then unscrewing it again and realigning the nib in the correct position for your pen collar before screwing it in again, or you will need to get a nib meister to do that job for you.

I don't know this particular model but if the section and barrel fairly easily come apart, then an alternative might be to screw in the nib & collar then unscrew the section, knock the nib out and refit it in the right position for you. That is a difficult job. Don't try this with an Omas if you've never done it before!

I'm amazed that you were able to "buy an old replacement collar from Italy." How did you manage that?
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 11th, 2020 at 01:17 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

On 360's nib alignment is personal preference. For example, I like mine about 5° off.
    As you've found, these nib collars are fragile. Most nib aligners (me included) find it easier and safer to screw in the collar first and then friction fit the nib/feed. You can use pictures to guide you on the collar depth.
    Also, on Omas the collar notches generally align horizontally with the nib wings. I find a little NON GLUE sealant on the collar threads important. If the collar has to be backed out a touch for alignment, the sealant will keep things set. And this is a common seepage point.

Good luck,
    Craig

Thanks

Thanks for the clues. It's good to hear from the experienced among you. My 360 section is not removable. I figured alignment was going to be trial and error, depending on whether the collar bottoms out in the barrel. I think it almost has to. If I were designing this thing I wouldn't let it sit in some arbitrary position. If it does, then the photos of nib wings in alignment with two of the ribs is what I need to see. I feel uneasy about screwing that collar in and out more than a very few times.

Where I found collars: I Found somebody in Italy on eBay selling batches of 5 old (used) omas removable sections. 4 out of each 5 had nib collars. Why he had 3 batches of these and where the rest of their parent pens might have gone is anybody's guess. He said they were "large" and suitable for all big Omas pens ( maybe he included the 360 specifically...I can't remember ). I crossed my inky little fingers and bought one batch. The seller had good feedback and legitimate number of sales. They took about 3 weeks to arrive. One section is a little chewed up, giving me a test dummy for practice. I'm working on a removal tool since I don't want to drop $50 for 4 collars as well as $60 with shipping from Germany for a spanner that I would only use one time.

BTW, I found a post with a photo of somebody who'd turned a few of these collars in Delrin. Giving dimensions. That seemed like a significant data point, though not of great use once I found this potential source. It would probably take me a couple days to acquire the delrin rod and turn a handful myself. I am strictly imperial here in California and I would still have had to buy a die for the outer threads.
    All this was after figuring out how to take the plunger cap off to unstick the plastic "cork." I am fortunate to have a low-powered stereo surplus pc assembly microscope acquired from a failed silicone valley startup. It was a big help in perceiving how to re-align the little pin that holds the plunger cap on. If anybody needs to buy a vowel for that operation, I can explain how to cut the frustration down from 2 hours to 10 minutes.
    Cheers,
    Russ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pointpergame For This Useful Post:

kumimajava (May 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Thanks for the information about collars.
    I asked because I have an Omas Paragon type that currently has an immovable collar and it's a bit scary knowing that if it breaks or crumbles there is no replacement.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

A bit dark at this end to take a good pic to send you (middle of the night in Tokyo), but by guesstimating mine is somewhere between 5-7 degrees "off" from the vertical. That is, if you hold the rear-cap of the pen towards your eye, and look over the ridge of the triangular body & the nib, then the slit on my nib is to the left (counterclockwise) from vertical. Somewhere around 11 o'clock or so.

When I bougtht my 360 (about 20 years ago!) it was from John who aligned it that way for me. It was early days for digital cameras, but I took a few snaps of my typical "writing grip/position", and he set the nib angle accordingly. Worked out just right for me - but I couldn't say what the "stock" alignment on these nibs is.

Also - if you have a moment, I would appreciate your advice on how to align the end-pin (or disassemble the piston in general) on one of these, since my 360 has recently started leaking a bit from behind the end cap - so I think the seal might be shot and/or need some greasing. But i've not done it before...

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by kumimajava; May 18th, 2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks

Getting the filler knob lined up with the retaining pin hole is usually much easier than it sounds. If I don't have marks or notes to go by I have the piston rod in the unscrewed (fully emptied) position. With Omas I've noticed that in this position the filler knob usually unscrews until just before you see threads between the knob and barrel. That's my starting point. Then, using a needle (tapered needle for a snug fit) instead of the pin, I can trial and error for the position which gives maximum fill capacity and lines up perfectly - whether on a triangle 360 or a faceted Paragon. Usually that first position I try turns out to be the best.

Good luck,
    Craig
    Last edited by broadoblique; May 18th, 2020 at 05:14 PM.