Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turquoise...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Turquoise...

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I wonder if Europeans would be taxed if they order from Canada.... I know there's a free trade agreement between the two entities.....
    I have bought regularly from fountainfeder. Never been taxed. Plus I get my inks faster than if I order them from US.....

Anyway you can order from Wonderpens.....I know they ship worldwide. Small company very good service...
    Note the sample bottles are small in size but same volume (2 ml)...
    Here in the UK we would definitely be taxed if we ordered any items valued at more than their regulated values for merchandise or gifts from Canada.

It's £15 for merchandise and £36 for gifts. As far as merchandise is concerned the problem is mainly the fact that IF the stated value of the item is more than £15 then for taxable calculation purposes, the cost of shipping is added on. So that's why it comes to a high amount. Value + Shipping cost then 20% for VAT plus whatever the delivery company charges to pay that amount up front.

Not all charge a fee. UPS just deliver then send an invoice and don't charge any extra delivery fee. Royal Mail and ParcelForce charge a fee and won't deliver until after payment is received.

It's poorly advertised on ebay so that when stated delivery is free the actual delivery costs must be deducted from the total to ensure the correct value of the item only is declared. Many worldwide sellers understand this.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Another similar shade would be Robert Oster "Bondi Blue"

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post

It would be most ironic to order European ink samples from an American online store and then be taxed for them

I wonder if Europeans would be taxed if they order from Canada.... I know there's a free trade agreement between the two entities.....
    I have bought regularly from fountainfeder. Never been taxed. Plus I get my inks faster than if I order them from US.....

Anyway you can order from Wonderpens.....I know they ship worldwide. Small company very good service...
    Yes - doesn't matter where the original items are sourced from, it's the country you purchase them from that counts. Hit the tax point (£15) and the cost initally rockets as you also have a handling charge applied, which tends to be between £8 (only Royal Mail) to £10 (most the others).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Here in the UK we would definitely be taxed if we ordered any items valued at more than their regulated values for merchandise or gifts from Canada.

It's £15 for merchandise and £36 for gifts. As far as merchandise is concerned the problem is mainly the fact that IF the stated value of the item is more than £15 then for taxable calculation purposes, the cost of shipping is added on. So that's why it comes to a high amount. Value + Shipping cost then 20% for VAT plus whatever the delivery company charges to pay that amount up front.

Not all charge a fee. UPS just deliver then send an invoice and don't charge any extra delivery fee. Royal Mail and ParcelForce charge a fee and won't deliver until after payment is received.

It's poorly advertised on ebay so that when stated delivery is free the actual delivery costs must be deducted from the total to ensure the correct value of the item only is declared. Many worldwide sellers understand this.

Thanks for the clarifications. Seems like the sales tax we're imposed upon here, when we buy anything. Though we're often spared duty...though once in a while we're smacked by one....Anyway maybe with the lockdown they can get away with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Another similar shade would be Robert Oster "Bondi Blue"
    That's a lovely blue.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

I can't believe no one has suggested my go-to turquoise ink, Diamine Havasu Turquoise. I used to cut a lot of turquoise for jewelry for many years, and this color is very close to the material that comes from the Kingman mine. The mineral turquoise can vary in color from robin's egg blue to a distinctly greenish blue, which often comes from Nevada, while the bluer turquoise usually come from Arizona. There's also a green mineral called variscite that looks like green turquoise, and is used in jewelry and is often mistaken for turquoise.

Last edited by calamus; March 31st, 2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I can't believe no one has suggested my go-to turquoise ink, Diamine Havasu Turquoise. I used to cut a lot of turquoise for jewelry for many years, and this color is very close to the material that comes from the Kingman mine. The mineral turquoise can vary in color from robin's egg blue to a distinctly greenish blue, which often comes from Nevada, while the bluer turquoise usually come from Arizona. There's also a green mineral called variscite that looks like green turquoise, and is used in jewelry and is often mistaken for turquoise.
    The reason I didn't suggest Diamine Havasu Turquoise is because despite the thread being called "Turquoise" the OP wanted a colour that was like Sailor Sky High but without the sheen.

"I'm looking for a speicfic hue of it: dark enough to be office and signature friendly, yet shady. Something akin to how Sailor Sky High behaves. I don't care for the sheen though. Is there anything that matches it?"

Sailor Sky High isn't really a turquoise ink, it's a sky blue ink. So I suggested some sky blue colours that were similar to Sailor Sky High ink.
    Diamine Turquoise and Havasu Turquoise are both turquoise inks that are lighter and brighter and are real turquoise inks that aren't particularly close in colour to Sailor Sky High.

Sky v turquoise.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 1st, 2020 at 01:54 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (April 1st, 2020), Yazeh (April 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Unfortunately my dealer of samples, the Scottish guy on eBay that ships on Sundays, is AWOL.
    My offer still stands. USPS will ship international. I've done it many, many times before when I sent out samples for the Mystery Ink series. I'll cost me $17 USD to send you a hand full of samples in a padded envelope.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 3rd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 2nd, 2020), Yazeh (April 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    My offer still stands. USPS will ship international. I've done it many, many times before when I sent out samples for the Mystery Ink series. I'll cost me $17 USD to send you a hand full of samples in a padded envelope.
    I can confirm that you did a great job too. If I could buy an envelope full of samples from you for $17 I would jump at the chance and feel really privileged.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Scooby921 (April 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    I can confirm that you did a great job too. If I could buy an envelope full of samples from you for $17 I would jump at the chance and feel really privileged.
    Hear ! Hear!