Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why an Areometric filler?

Thanks

Default Why an Aerometric filler?

Perhaps I'm not understanding something, but why would a modern pen maker put an aerometric filler in a full-size pen?

Can't figure it out so I must be missing something.

Thanks.

Sg
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 19th, 2020 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Why an Areometric filler?

They are a very robust filling system. Aerometric Parker 51s, for example, very very rarely require the filling system to be restored prior to them writing (if they need any restoration other than a good flushing at all).
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 18th, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

What pen do you have in mind?

Thanks

Default Re: Why an Aerometric filler?

I should have phrased my question better. Why would a pen maker today make pens and use an aerometric filler? Not talking about older pens, but pens made today.

Peyton Street Pens (I think they are the one) advertized that he was putting aerometric fillers in his new pens.

That just strikes me as unnecessary when converters are so easy to use, but I might be wrong.

I'm not seeing an advantage rather seeing a weak point.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 19th, 2020 at 07:11 AM.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

I know a “true aerometric” has the breather tube and that supposedly helps with filling and with pressure changes like in an airplane

Also, maybe just good old fashioned nostalgia?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    I should have phrased my question better. Why would a pen maker today make pens and use an areometric filler? Not talking about older pens, but pens made today.

Peyton Street Pens (I think they are the one) advertized that he was putting areometric fillers in his new pens.

That just strikes me as unnecessary when converters are so easy to use, but I might be wrong.

I'm not seeing an advantage rather seeing a weak point.

What am I missing?
    There is something extremely efficient and effective about this design. I've restored several Esterbrook pens that used a sac and lever fill. It's much faster that dismantling and filling my Lamy Al Star converter. Plus, no chance of inky fingers...LOL!!

Thanks

Here's an example.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B92AtkGjPUX/

It's not a lever filler. It's an open the pen and squeeze the bulb filler.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 19th, 2020 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks

Aerometric fillers are mostly recyclable, perhaps there is an environmental benefit?

Pilot still uses aerometric fillers in some pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

That is a bulb filler. A moderately common filling system in the 30s-40s.

As to why they might be doing these? Well, Teri (and Nivardo, her main co-worker/nib-guy/etc) have only been making their own pens for a while, and I think it was mostly for fun because they are making their own pen blanks. They also use a lot of NOS nibs, and I think what they are doing is turning basic barrels/caps/sections without next-level inner section threading... meaning they aren't building them for nib units that have a nipple coming out the back that you can jam a cartridge or converter on.

I could be massively wrong but I think they mount a reservoir on the back of the section and attach the sac, which acts as the bulb. I don't know if they have a breather tube, which was present in better aerometrics (and notably Parker Vacumatics) that allows an even larger fill. There is a bit of guesswork on my part in this, but I've known those guys for a while and I think it is just their way of making a pen project in-house. If you want a detailed answer I can write her an ask.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 18th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    That is a bulb filler. A moderately common filling system in the 30s-40s.

As to why they might be doing these? Well, Teri (and Nivardo, her main co-worker/nib-guy/etc) have only been making their own pens for a while, and I think it was mostly for fun because they are making their own pen blanks. They also use a lot of NOS nibs, and I think what they are doing is turning basic barrels/caps/sections without next-level inner section threading... meaning they aren't building them for nib units that have a nipple coming out the back that you can jam a cartridge or converter on.

I could be massively wrong but I think they mount a reservoir on the back of the section and attach the sac, which acts as the bulb. I don't know if they have a breather tube, which was present in better aerometrics (and notably Parker Vacumatics) that allows an even larger fill. There is a bit of guesswork on my part in this, but I've known those guys for a while and I think it is just their way of making a pen project in-house. If you want a detailed answer I can write her an ask.
    Thanks and please find out as I'm quite curious.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 19th, 2020 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    Thanks and please find out as I'm quite curious.
    Ok, lovely Teri was very prompt in writing back to me in my queries. I copied her what I had said previously and this was her answer:

There’s a couple reasons for the bulb fillers. They hold more ink than cartridge or converter pens, so that’s some of the justification for doing them with JoWo nibs, and of course people do like to see the ink sloshing around. FYI, we do make lots of standard JoWo #5 and #6 compatible pens with sections that accept the screw in nib unit.

The best justification is for the pens with vintage nibs. You can’t get the nibs to work with normal cartridge/converter housings, they just don’t fit, so we’ve had to resort to blow fillers and eyedroppers in the past. When you have a flex nib, it needs a really strong supply of ink with no impediments such as a C/C tube, and with bulb fillers (as with blow fillers and eyedroppers) you’ve got the ink right there at the butt of the feed. We do have to use a breather tube to get the pen to actually fill, and while breather tubes in vintage nibs usually install into a hole already there in the feed, when we build bulb fillers for JoWo nib units we have to attach the tube to the post/stem/nipple and also drill a tiny hole in the feed to get it to vent.

Edison makes bulb fillers and they charge more for them than regular C/C pens, so I think that indicates that people like them.
    That is all straight from Teri Morris, owner of Peyton Street Pens and all-around swell person.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 18th, 2020), carlos.q (March 18th, 2020), catbert (March 18th, 2020), Chrissy (March 18th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (March 18th, 2020), jar (March 19th, 2020), Robert (March 18th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2020), silverlifter (March 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for getting that information, Jon. It makes sense.

I've learned something today.

Cheers,

Sg
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 19th, 2020 at 07:12 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

FYI Peyton Street Pens = Teri = She plus staff

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 18th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Thank you. My info to the same effect was strewn across a bunch of responses. It was a good excuse to drop her an email and chat a bit...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thank you. My info to the same effect was strewn across a bunch of responses. It was a good excuse to drop her an email and chat a bit...
    Littering carries a fine up to $971 ...

Thanks

Masuyama-san will do a fine for less than that.

Besides, this is me, living on the edge. Real renegade stuff...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Don’t tell me you switched to clip-ons...

Thanks

Don’t tell me you switched to clip-ons...
    As if you've moved over to three-piece suits, at least Zegna-class if not bespoke. No, the world is warped but neither of us are there yet.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Now that's sorted and while Jon and Farmboy go off on one of their incomprehensible in-joke routines, two things:

Firstly, bulb fillers are brilliant things. Such a simple system, yet so effective. If HM Revenoo didn't clobber everything coming from the US of A I'd be off to Peyton St Pens to see what's available. As it is, why torment myself?

Secondly, Sg, are you aware you keep transposing the E and R in aERometric? No big deal, it's just everso slightly bugging me. Like a packet of coloured pencils lined up in a sequence of red, yellow, and orange.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Now that's sorted and while Jon and Farmboy go off on one of their incomprehensible in-joke routines...
    My apologies. I figured that, once I had given Sg the answer to his specific question, the Boy and I were ok to dance. Not to mention I thought our banters were always completely transparent, but I guess it presents fairly surreal.

Well, doesn't happen too often, I hope. And I like your idea about ordering up some fish. We've all got to find ways to help the many vectors that are getting hurt while the world tries to deal with this contagion. Putting forward good deeds right now is pretty important.

~ Benjamin Franklin