Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: goulet and nibs.com stopped taking orders

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: goulet and nibs.com stopped taking orders

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

Of course.

Since everyone is responsible for their finances, and since most of us would be better off if more people were financially competent, public education should teach financial skills and knowledge.

With four generations of entitlement many parents have no idea of personal responsibility. It's always been handouts for sloth with no incentives to improve.
    I have no idea what this even means. Is this the old chestnut about "poor people are poor because they are lazy?" That's a load of malarkey in my experience.

In many cases public schools teach 'social justice' and its tenants of 'You Owe Me Whatever I Say You Owe Me' rather than ethics, morality, and the need for hard work to succeed.
    I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here but regarding that last phrase, "rather than..."

My experiences have been that students are required to earn their grades. And I see only reinforcement of ethics and morality. That's how it's been for my kid, how it was for me, how my mom did it in the classroom for 30+ years and how my sister in law for several years she's taught.
    Thanks for saying so. And for me, too (I'm in my 35th year). Every class period, every day, is an exercise in ethical behavior reinforcement. And very likely the children fall short of perfect at about the same rate as their teachers and their parents do. Seems like we all have work to do.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 21st, 2020), Jon Szanto (May 21st, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (May 26th, 2020), welch (May 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Large families where competition among siblings exists is much different than families with one or two children. You don’t need to learn to share if you are an only child at home. You don’t go without because there are others with more important needs. Older children learn to help with the little ones. Becoming others oriented is a slow process, but I think so valuable.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

This thread meandered through a number of issues but one strand was that pen prices will fall due to the coronavirus pandemic. I don't often buy new pens so I don't know what's happening there. Restored pens and pens for restoration prices are not falling on UK eBay. I rather hoped they would as that would give me a chance to build up stock but they're staying as high as they ever were. Damn it.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

welch (May 30th, 2020)

Thanks

It takes longer than this to reduce prices on this kind of inventory. A few people are unloading some pens. But I haven't seen a retailer budging one bit. Nor on eBay for anything I commonly search.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (May 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

This and the now-locked by a 'just dipped super moderator' thread at FPN prompted a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, even though I have bought a couple of items from Goulet, I have found, even from the very start, that their company promotion was nauseatingly cheesy, but figured it was probably done to tie with some aspect of American sentimentality.

Secondly, and rather more broadly, I don't know if this is true, but it seems that these days the majority of fountain pen promotion is done by retailers (non-exclusive ones I mean) rather than manufacturers. A lot of advertising from the 'golden era' of fountain pens was done by the manufacturers. Parker, Wahl, Sheaffer and so on, all ran advertising campaigns. Sure there were also store adverts, such as the Sears versions. I cannot recall seeing a contemporary advert for a fountain pen, either on TV, Internet or print media, for any brand. I accept that a factor involved in this is geographic separation, but I spend a fair bit of time on the internet, and given my interest in FPs would imagine that my data would sooner or later trigger a targeted pen advert. None so far.

Thanks

MB still advertise pretty aggressively in media for their target market: glossy magazines and airport displays.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Firstly, even though I have bought a couple of items from Goulet, I have found, even from the very start, that their company promotion was nauseatingly cheesy, but figured it was probably done to tie with some aspect of American sentimentality.
    The more family-oriented Christian side of the coin that has Nathan Tardif's irrascible patriotism on the other side.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (May 31st, 2020), silverlifter (May 31st, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (June 1st, 2020), welch (June 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Mark Twain had a memorable quote “it’s not the things I don’t know that gets me in trouble, it’s the things I do know that aren’t so”.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

The more family-oriented Christian side of the coin that has Nathan Tardif's irrascible patriotism on the other side.

They always turned me off too, but i could never put my finger on why. Maybe that’s it.

Even if i don’t like his inks and stronglydisagree with his politics, Nathan doesn’t bother me as much. I had a few pen conversations with him way back when. Maybe it’s that connection.

Thanks

This and the now-locked by a 'just dipped super moderator' thread at FPN prompted a couple of thoughts.

Secondly, and rather more broadly, I don't know if this is true, but it seems that these days the majority of fountain pen promotion is done by retailers (non-exclusive ones I mean) rather than manufacturers. A lot of advertising from the 'golden era' of fountain pens was done by the manufacturers. Parker, Wahl, Sheaffer and so on, all ran advertising campaigns. Sure there were also store adverts, such as the Sears versions. I cannot recall seeing a contemporary advert for a fountain pen, either on TV, Internet or print media, for any brand. I accept that a factor involved in this is geographic separation, but I spend a fair bit of time on the internet, and given my interest in FPs would imagine that my data would sooner or later trigger a targeted pen advert. None so far.
    I vaguely remember a Waterman fountain pen TV commercial from the mid-90's. It tried to promote a Waterman pen as a luxury gift. Someone probably named "Muffy" talks about her prep-school boyfriend: "He had a pony named [Something_cute, as preppy dressed boy rides pony], retriever named [Something_cute_2, as pre-teen floppy haired boy plays with dog], a polo pony named [Something_cute_3, teen-aged boy], a Morgan named [something, film of car], but he'd never had a Waterman pen! How could I know he'd been so deprived!"

Nauseating commercial that disappeared soon.

That's the last I can remember. It's the market. There is no market for fountain pens.

Here is what it was like about 1960, when Jimmy Durante sold Sheaffers on his weekly show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post

I vaguely remember a Waterman fountain pen TV commercial from the mid-90's. It tried to promote a Waterman pen as a luxury gift. Someone probably named "Muffy" talks about her prep-school boyfriend: "He had a pony named [Something_cute, as preppy dressed boy rides pony], retriever named [Something_cute_2, as pre-teen floppy haired boy plays with dog], a polo pony named [Something_cute_3, teen-aged boy], a Morgan named [something, film of car], but he'd never had a Waterman pen! How could I know he'd been so deprived!"

Nauseating commercial that disappeared soon.

That's the last I can remember. It's the market. There is no market for fountain pens.

Here is what it was like about 1960, when Jimmy Durante sold Sheaffers on his weekly show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew
    Thanks for posting the PFM commercial! It's awesome.

here is your waterman's commercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFVvlozI_M4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

welch (June 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Yes!!! That's exactly the commercial! After I happened across Jimmy Durante, I went looking for the Waterman. I see they were pushing a Waterman ballpoint, rather than a fountain pen. Having to look again...is that a Hemisphere? Probably from a time when Waterman was trying to beat Montblanc into a luxury ballpoint market.

About the time of this Waterman commercial, we were being given, and were giving to our customers, Cross ballpoint pen and pencil sets with the GE logo. In gradations, of course: important customers and our senior managers got gold sets, first-time customers got gray or black-matte sets, and we would get them if we were on the call. And so on.

Very big deal managers were beginning to "wear" Monblanc Meisterstuck ballpoints. We began to see a lot of them by the mid-90's, along with business people carrying the Financial Times, which suggested FT was more thoughtful than the Wall Street Journal. All carried in a new sort of boxy leather briefcase.

As senior techies, we were encouraged to carry heavy black ballpoints whenever we met customers. A Waterman would have been "technology class" in the late '90's. (By 2005 or so, it seemed as if more and more fats-track managers were carrying throw-away ballpoints, maybe as a statement that "I don't need a Montblanc to show high-status"...)