Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: goulet and nibs.com stopped taking orders

Thanks

Default goulet and nibs.com stopped taking orders

goulet shut down:

Due to COVID-19 we are now fully remote, and all orders placed will not ship until it is safe for our team to resume working in the building. This may last weeks or longer. We are now offering free USPS shipping on any $50+ order within the US as a thanks for your patience.

nibs.com suspending operations.

Thanks

Default Re: goulet and nibs.com stopped taking orders

I would be careful about making any orders from anywhere that takes your money now but are unable to quickly deliver the product. It doesn't matter what company it is. A pen that retails for $100.00 today will be lucky to bring $50.00 in a few weeks/months. Maybe even less as there won't be money available for pens. Retailers of mass market non-essentials will drop prices just to have cash flow with hopes to survive. Many retail vendors will not survive, will go bankrupt, and your money is gone.

I don't care what the company's good name is or what high moral standards they claim as these are not normal times and past performace isn't a good indicator of what can occur in the future.

Should you place an order not knowing if or when your order might appear, make sure it's money you can afford to lose.

Economics will tell you that certain product prices, referred to as non-essentials, will collapse in the long term. I see no reason this will not happen to the pen market. That Pelikan, bought last year for $800.00 retail, will sell new next year for perhaps $4-500 (or less). That used Pelikan bought for $800 will be lucky to bring $200.00 and that's optimistic. Pens are not investments 99% of the time. No one needs a pen to survive.

Buy only what you are assured to get. You'll need cash for the future.

Learn what essentials are and act accordingly.

It will suprise people to find that they lack many essentials but they swim in their over-abundance of Beanie Babies and the latest fads. If you've never learned to live below your means, you'll now pay the price.

In my case I had several items listed on Craiglist and other such sites. Here's why three weeks ago I removed those listings.

1. I don't want to have contact with people.

2. The items I had listed would be considered 'essentials' and highly desirable during rough economic times. As I didn't need the money, I knew they would go up in value tremendously and I could always sell or barter them into the foreseeable future for much more than I could get now.

If you have something non-essential you want to sell, do it now as the price will go down. Consider taking a loss today as you'll take a bigger loss next month.

If it's something you want to buy and it's non-essential, wait.

This isn't a matter of supporting small businesses and making a statement of your belief in a company, this is your economic well-being. Act wisely.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 21st, 2020 at 09:51 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 21st, 2020), soretailedcat (March 21st, 2020), T-RextheCat (March 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

I see where other pen companies around the world are shutting down for the pandemic. India has a lockdown on shipping until April 15th at the earliest.

While a few companies are taking orders, many have advised no orders will be shipped until an undetermined time in the future but they'll take your money now.

Be careful if you go that route. As you can see on the sales forums here and elsewhere, pen prices are dropping and there are few or no takers. This will continue for months as those who were "pen poor" are now seeing just how cash poor they are and must take a big loss in order to avoid further drops.

Not a time to sell if you can help it and it's not a time to buy as prices will fall much further on 95% of all pens.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 31st, 2020 at 06:53 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I'm not buying jack.

But not for any of the reasons you say.

I'm just not spending money on anything but food and utilities and taxes (delayed, but inevitable).

I bought stamps, but I am not buying anything else related to this hobby. Not for months and months, likely. I don't know why anyone would spend anything except for essentials right now, but I can only speak for myself.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

calamus (April 2nd, 2020), countrydirt (March 30th, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (March 30th, 2020)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm not buying jack.
    I'm with you. I made a few purchases right before the virus hit. Although I didn't know the future then, I am kicking myself for them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 31st, 2020), TSherbs (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    Not a time to sell if you can help it and it's not a time to buy as prices will fall much further on 95% of all pens.
    How do you come up with numbers like that? Why not 100%, or 60%, or 33% or any other number for that matter? How is this not just a WAG?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I would be careful about making any orders from anywhere that takes your money now but are unable to quickly deliver the product. It doesn't matter what company it is. A pen that retails for $100.00 today will be lucky to bring $50.00 in a few weeks/months. Maybe even less as there won't be money available for pens. Retailers of mass market non-essentials will drop prices just to have cash flow with hopes to survive. Many retail vendors will not survive, will go bankrupt, and your money is gone.

I don't care what the company's good name is or what high moral standards they claim as these are not normal times and past performace isn't a good indicator of what can occur in the future.

Should you place an order not knowing if or when your order might appear, make sure it's money you can afford to lose.

Economics will tell you that certain product prices, referred to as non-essentials, will collapse in the long term. I see no reason this will not happen to the pen market. That Pelikan, bought last year for $800.00 retail, will sell new next year for perhaps $4-500 (or less). That used Pelikan bought for $800 will be lucky to bring $200.00 and that's optimistic. Pens are not investments 99% of the time. No one needs a pen to survive.

Buy only what you are assured to get. You'll need cash for the future.

Learn what essentials are and act accordingly.

It will suprise people to find that they lack many essentials but they swim in their over-abundance of Beanie Babies and the latest fads. If you've never learned to live below your means, you'll now pay the price.

In my case I had several items listed on Craiglist and other such sites. Here's why three weeks ago I removed those listings.

1. I don't want to have contact with people.

2. The items I had listed would be considered 'essentials' and highly desirable during rough economic times. As I didn't need the money, I knew they would go up in value tremendously and I could always sell or barter them into the foreseeable future for much more than I could get now.

If you have something non-essential you want to sell, do it now as the price will go down. Consider taking a loss today as you'll take a bigger loss next month.

If it's something you want to buy and it's non-essential, wait.

This isn't a matter of supporting small businesses and making a statement of your belief in a company, this is your economic well-being. Act wisely.
    Agreed. I'm buying hardly anything at the moment that is non-essential although I had to search for and buy a refill ink cartridge for my printer over the weekend as it's almost empty and we don't have a replacement.

If Goulet Pens are saying they are holding onto money but not shipping orders, I wouldn't be placing any orders with them for sure. If you pay for items by PayPal, then the contract is they have to ship within 7 days. You definitely don't want your PayPal "claim" period for non delivery to run out while you're waiting for goods to arrive at some date in the future.

Sg is right. Goods are more likely to come down in price after the pandemic than to go up so it's worth waiting if you can. Also, we will lose some retailers. Probably not Goulet Pens with their vast stocks, but some smaller retailers. It's therefore wise to not give them money now and hope for the best in the future.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    I'm not buying jack.

I'm just not spending money on anything but food and utilities and taxes (delayed, but inevitable).

I bought stamps, but I am not buying anything else related to this hobby. Not for months and months, likely. I don't know why anyone would spend anything except for essentials right now, but I can only speak for myself.
    Understandable, but this is also the way that small businesses go under.

Consider if a 100% moratorium is the right way to go. Come April 13 (or May 1 or June 15 or ???), you may try to return to your normal life, only to find all the small things that gave you pleasure have dissolved away.
    Is this not what your government is spending it's $2 trillion dollars on? Saving jobs and businesses that desperately need help because of the pandemic?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm not buying jack.

Consider if a 100% moratorium is the right way to go. Come April 13 (or May 1 or June 15 or ???), you may try to return to your normal life, only to find all the small things that gave you pleasure have dissolved away.
    Is this not what your government is spending it's $2 trillion dollars on? Saving jobs and businesses that desperately need help because of the pandemic?
    That’ll certainly help in the short-term to keep rents paid and workers on the books.

In the medium term though, if people become too afraid of the future to spend money, except on food, utilities and taxes, then all your small businesses will rapidly be sucked into the recession/depression spiral.

Thanks

I absolutely understand what you're saying, but some are rightly afraid that if they catch it they might not survive. They might not be around to enjoy any expensive luxuries they bought while hoping they might be OK. That's their uncertainty now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I'm not buying jack.

Small and local businesses need your support more than ever right now.

Sorry, but my family comes first.

Those businesses should save every penny, too. And if they close, then they close. I might lose my job, too.

We will come out of this, but I'll make sure that my wife and kids are ok before I buy a pen. Pens don't matter and are not a source of any deep happiness or meaning for me. They are just things.

And since within a few years I plan to retire, I can't be stupid with money now.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    How do you come up with numbers like that? Why not 100%, or 60%, or 33% or any other number for that matter? How is this not just a WAG?
    Mass-produced pens with no value other than their intrinsic value as a communication device will fall in price. That includes Montblancs, Sailor, Pilot, my pens, your pens, etc. Only those pens that have historical, artistic, exceptional provenance, might not fall, and that's a 'might not.'

Pay attention to the For Sale section on this forum. Every day you'll see what once were highly collectible and Grail pens on sale, but no takers. Then you'll see the seller offer a small price reduction - no takers. Smart sellers will offer a drastic 20-30% discount at the get-go, attract a buyer, take the money and say a prayer of relief. Continually making a "bump" to attract attention at the same opening asking price is failing to comprehend the market and hoping a fool will soon part with his money.

Sell at a big discount now. It will be more difficult in the weeks ahead, much less in the months to come.

Only the buyer who waits to buy at the bottom 1/4 of the fall will make money. There's an oversupply of pen makers. Only those who are semi debt-free and holding cash will survive.

If pens weren't made for another ten years no one would care or notice generally as there exist millions of unsold pens now.

Again, it's not a matter of supporting small businesses. Some businesses should never have started. It's not in my best financial interest to support them now with a purchase that will be worth far less in a few months.

Will pen prices return to the January 1, 2020 level? Maybe, but not soon. It could be years. That's the reason if you don't need to sell your pens for cash now, hold them for their value to you. But if you do need to sell pens for cash, do it now as prices will continue to fall - first in the secondary market and then in the maker's market. Retailers are offering many incentives now for you to purchase - but I will not. Retail prices will begin to fall and they'll be desperate to get sales. Many retailers are already offering 20% discounts on high-dollar pens. This would have been unheard of last January.

Cash is what counts now - not another pen, baseball card, or Hummel figurine.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 31st, 2020 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks

I'm not buying jack.

I agree with your sentiment that small businesses need our support now more than ever before. Absolutely right.
    But the operative word is "business." How is it "business" if someone takes your money but you get nothing in return. I'd call that a loan.
    Some loans get repaid and some get defaulted.
    Every day I am doing something which is supporting our local businesses and I am doing so as best as I can. I am doing more "business" with our local businesses than ever before.
    But I'm not giving any of our businesses money in return for an "IOU." From that perspective, I agree with the others.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Bob (May 13th, 2020), sgphoto (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

I'm not buying jack.

Those small pleasures you speak of, if external, are fleeting and always go away. It's been so in good times and bad.

Cultivate internal pleasures - those can last your lifetime and need not be dissolved in difficult times. You control those internal pleasures. You have no control over external ones.

I doubt anyone on their deathbed wished they had bought another Montblanc 149 to make their life complete.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (April 1st, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Come on, Jon. The man has been around here for a month or two so is obviously an expert. The only question in my mind is given his apparent level of expertise in markets, why is he messing with pens instead of the stock market where he could make big money?
    Last edited by whichwatch; March 31st, 2020 at 07:57 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

A thing that annoys me - many things annoy me but this is the latest. You're not allowed to take your car and just go for drive in the country. And they say you can take a walk but now they say not more than a couple of kilometers. Why? If you're doing these things and not mixing with other people you're not spreading the virus. It seems to me that coming up with rules like these cast everything else into doubt because they are so utterly illogical.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I'm sensing that this thread is headed towards our needing to put on our flame retardant suits again.
    I'm not being critical of anyone's posts or positions. It just never ceases to amaze me how we manage to do this so often.

At the risk of being flamed myself, I just want to go back to the original premise of this thread and say thank you to those sellers who have found a way to be able to continue to serve us.... even in this world-wide trying and challenging time.

A few days ago I made a small purchase from Sam & Frank at Pendemonium. In spite of the modest amount of my purchase, they treated me like I was the most important customer in the world and did all they could to help me out with my need. I realize it is not feasible for everyone to keep their businesses up and running right now but it certainly is a breath of fresh air to see how hard Sam & Frank are trying to do so. Thanks guys!!

Disclaimer: Absolutely no relationships

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (March 31st, 2020), welch (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post

Come on, Jon. The man has been around here for a month or two so is obviously an expert. The only question in my mind is given his apparent level of expertise in markets, why is he messing with pens instead of the stock market where he could make big money?
    I've never claimed to be a pen or financial expert and I've never bought one pen thinking it would retain the price I paid for it. I have made money in the stock market by not buying or selling on emotion but on market conditions.

The pen market is subject to the same market as all other non-essentials. That doesn't take an expert to discover. Knowing the difference between a Parker made in 1932 and one made in 1933 may make you knowledgable about certain Parker pens. It does not speak to your financial acumen.

If you think the pen market is not subject to economics, well, there's plenty of pens for you to buy. Get 'em now before the price goes lower.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 31st, 2020 at 09:07 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I'm sensing that this thread is headed towards our needing to put on our flame retardant suits again.
    I'm not being critical of anyone's posts or positions. It just never ceases to amaze me how we manage to do this so often.

At the risk of being flamed myself, I just want to go back to the original premise of this thread and say thank you to those sellers who have found a way to be able to continue to serve us.... even in this world-wide trying and challenging time.

A few days ago I made a small purchase from Sam & Frank at Pendemonium. In spite of the modest amount of my purchase, they treated me like I was the most important customer in the world and did all they could to help me out with my need. I realize it is not feasible for everyone to keep their businesses up and running right now but it certainly is a breath of fresh air to see how hard Sam & Frank are trying to do so. Thanks guys!!

Disclaimer: Absolutely no relationships
    I too have recently bought from Sam and Frank. They're good people. But I'm betting that Sam and Frank aren't deep in debt, haven't bought high-dollar pens on a whim, and can survive this pandemic.

Note what they sell. There's a far cry between selling items for $50 or less than $200 dollar and up retail pens. I'd rather support Sam and Frank with my business than Goulet, Goldspot, and other big retailers.

I need some more Legal Lapis ink. Now's a good time to get it from Pendemonium.
    Last edited by sgphoto; March 31st, 2020 at 08:52 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    ...why is he messing with pens instead of the stock market....
    Have you ever tried to write a letter with a share certificate?
    But I can write a letter with a Number 2 pencil if need be. Have you ever tried to eat a Montblanc 146?

I'm merely pointing out what nearly all markets are subject to and I don't believe the pen market is any different. Maybe some people will be upset by what I write. That's not my concern. Some people will get upset if I wear a blue shirt instead of a brown one. People can do what they wish.

At this time if you have guns, they'll increase in value. Pens will not.