Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fountain Pen Books

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pen Books

Deb, do you think this is the "best" of the Lambrou books for people like me (GPPs -general pen practioners} or one of his other books?

Waiting for my 'stimulus' check for more books and a couple of ebonites, particularly an old Waterman with a great 14k nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 727 Posts

Probably this is best. There's also Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern (1989) but it is a little more dated.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,490 Times in 2,784 Posts

I've got his Fountain Pens of the World, which certainly seems quite comprehensive. I don't have a deep enough interest in the Japanese history to get his book focusing on that but FPotW gives at least a decent look outside the US/UK history.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts

For Montblanc collectors, the following are quite helpful. The Diary is going to be expensive if you find one. Collectable Stars is useful for the postwar pens. Made in Spain is interesting for the unusual celluloids not generally available from Germany and Denmark.

IMG_0193.jpegIMG_0198.jpegIMG_1277.jpeg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 727 Posts

Edited by Dragoni and Fichera. Though it has an index I wouldn't regard this as a reference, mainly because some of the information in the section on individual pens is inaccurate. However, it takes a wider viewpoint on the whole subject of fountain pens and is informative and entertaining. Not an essential but a good read. Cheap when I bought it second-hand many years ago. Prices are variable now - cheapest I saw was 32 + postage.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 4th, 2020), sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Stefan Wallrafen , one of the Collectible Stars co-authors has recently published a Soennecken book covering the company from the 1870's to 1995

Very similar chronological layout to the Collectible Stars books, with tons of pen photos with text in English and German along with detailed tables of all identified model variants from early eyedoppers (1888) through the gorgeous pre-war Rheingolds and up to the 1960's including the Swiss production models and Swedish The Tower brand

Very detailed and comprehensive , even more that the two Collectible Stars books, my only criticism is the pen pictures are scaled larger than real size but all the tables have the relevant dimensions so this can be forgiven

IMG_1374_soennecken.jpg
    Last edited by ChrisJ; April 7th, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 7th, 2020)