Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fountain Pen Books

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pen Books

Deb, do you think this is the "best" of the Lambrou books for people like me (GPPs -general pen practioners} or one of his other books?

Waiting for my 'stimulus' check for more books and a couple of ebonites, particularly an old Waterman with a great 14k nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

Probably this is best. There's also Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern (1989) but it is a little more dated.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I've got his Fountain Pens of the World, which certainly seems quite comprehensive. I don't have a deep enough interest in the Japanese history to get his book focusing on that but FPotW gives at least a decent look outside the US/UK history.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

For Montblanc collectors, the following are quite helpful. The Diary is going to be expensive if you find one. Collectable Stars is useful for the postwar pens. Made in Spain is interesting for the unusual celluloids not generally available from Germany and Denmark.

IMG_0193.jpegIMG_0198.jpegIMG_1277.jpeg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 22nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 840 Posts

Edited by Dragoni and Fichera. Though it has an index I wouldn't regard this as a reference, mainly because some of the information in the section on individual pens is inaccurate. However, it takes a wider viewpoint on the whole subject of fountain pens and is informative and entertaining. Not an essential but a good read. Cheap when I bought it second-hand many years ago. Prices are variable now - cheapest I saw was £32 + postage.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 22nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (April 4th, 2020), sgphoto (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Stefan Wallrafen , one of the Collectible Stars co-authors has recently published a Soennecken book covering the company from the 1870's to 1995

Very similar chronological layout to the Collectible Stars books, with tons of pen photos with text in English and German along with detailed tables of all identified model variants from early eyedoppers (1888) through the gorgeous pre-war Rheingolds and up to the 1960's including the Swiss production models and Swedish The Tower brand

Very detailed and comprehensive , even more that the two Collectible Stars books, my only criticism is the pen pictures are scaled larger than real size but all the tables have the relevant dimensions so this can be forgiven

IMG_1374_soennecken.jpg
    Last edited by ChrisJ; April 7th, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 8th, 2020), Cyril (June 22nd, 2021), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (June 22nd, 2021), sgphoto (April 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Hello,
    Do you know where I can find “Montblanc Pens in Spain - english version”? Thank you.

Best regards,
    Valeriu

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lightmanv View Post
    Hello,
    Do you know where I can find “Montblanc Pens in Spain - english version”? Thank you.

Best regards,
    Valeriu
    https://www.libreriacastillon.com/hi...-in-spain.html

Thanks

Thank you so much!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post

Edited by Dragoni and Fichera. Though it has an index I wouldn't regard this as a reference, mainly because some of the information in the section on individual pens is inaccurate. However, it takes a wider viewpoint on the whole subject of fountain pens and is informative and entertaining. Not an essential but a good read. Cheap when I bought it second-hand many years ago. Prices are variable now - cheapest I saw was £32 + postage.
    A great book about history and design. I've been studying this for a long time and decided to arrange everything in the form of research work.
    I turned to the service for help and here's a review of it https://www.topwritersreview.com/rev...yhomeworkdone/ I'd like to take this book as a basis for writing, although there are many other good books and useful sources.
    Last edited by JosephFranklin; June 14th, 2021 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks

Mama Mia !!!!

What ..... into what a rabbit hole of treasure that I have sucked into .
    Last edited by Cyril; June 22nd, 2021 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

"""Deb recommended Pen Repair by Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfield. On Amazon US, the price is $120 and up as it's O.P.""""

I think I paid E-30-40 plus minus for the then new second edition, with Oldfield's autograph. From his site.

""""Probably this is best. There's also Fountain Pens Vintage and Modern (1989) but it is a little more dated. """"
    It a basic book....quite advanced for me....in I don't have a collection of all 51 colors and styles of the P-51.

I have read it was better than the later version.
    I have it in German, living there, so it takes me twice as long to read it in germanshringwrapswords and one has to pry them apart with a pry bar.

When I first came on FPN I must have downloaded 10meg of info....and it was of no help really. That Lambrou book put everything in order and I knew not only I had an A and Elbow, but where it was. It gave me new fields to hunt....even if I was only hunting in Germany...
    It was of help when I went looking for a 'flexi' Swan pen on English Ebay. I'd decided from his book to leave all the convoluted filling system '30-40'a pens alone and get a lever early '50's torpedo shaped flexi nibbed pen.

(By the way one of the three prettiest pens I've ever seen pictures of was a Swan middle brand Blackbird...seen on the FPN com. Not in the book.)

I ran into a no name German flexi (as superflex was called way back in the when of a decade or so ago) and bought it as in my hand rather than hope and pray the Swan nib would indeed be flexi and not the semi-flex I had. But with out that book I'd never known how complicated Swan pens could be.

I have some pen books not listed here. so will have to load up my camera and take a few pictures.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 13th, 2021 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks

1994 book.... Werkzeug des Geistes, (tools of the soul) by Friedrich E. Linscheid,takes you from stick scribbles up to the mid 18th-19th century tool's before it becomes interesting with all the pens, ink wells and other writer's tools.

Das Grosse Buch der Schriebkulture.....the Ultimate Book of Pens...By Geyner and Garenfeld in French, German and English on every page. It is quite a large book...was disappointed it only had two pages w/pictures of Geha....but one can not always win.

Fullfedeerhalter(fountain pens) by Jonathan Steinbery 1994, a good overview only.

The sadest book of all Regina Martini's Fullfederhalter (fountain pens) with all those pre-2000 DM prices................lots and lots of pens, no big explanations, including German, English and US ones.

I don't know if these Parker prices will make someone happy or sad..........I am sad because I certainly could have had some fine pens for affordable prices had I started collectiong pens 10-15 years before I did.

They had been laying around for I don't know how long, but now that I'm reminded I have them I can find them in my library again.
    This is the German version of Andreas Lambrou's '89 book.

And have both Pen repair by Marshall and Oldfield and the Dubal book.

Grumble cubed, outside of stiff nib calligraphy, my calligraphy books leave 'much' to be desired on Copperplate and Spencerian....when I need more than you've practiced the other stiff nib stuff enough to catch on in a couple of pages, for either. I need more Copperplate and Spencerian for Dummies 2.0, a book for those who find 1.0 complicated.

I'm wondering if those authors are saying learn stiff nib calligraphy First, then get into flexi scripts...........after you know how to form letters.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 13th, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

amk (March 1st, 2024), Deb (March 2nd, 2024)

Thanks

The introduction is the preliminary part, the essay, you can refer to the author on this site https://nilsenreport.ca/top-essay-wr...ly-on-in-2022/. The main part reveals the topic, the main content of the essay. This part of the essay is larger than the introduction and conclusion.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Spam reported

Thanks

I found it very interesting and useful to read your discussion. I think I will put some of your recommendations into practice. Books about fountain pens are something I've been interested in recently. It's always interesting to explore the diverse world of writing instruments through literature. And one of my books is in MOBI format then I needed a program that converts MOBI files to PDF. If you are interested, you can use https://pdfflex.com/mobi-to-pdf that helped me solve my problem. And will help to make your fountain pen related ebooks more accessible and easier to read.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; March 3rd, 2024 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks

This is great three receding all books on pens and writing instruments. Thank you Deb and the rest of all folks shred all the informations on books and their knowledge of encyclopaedic inner knowledge in pens and inks .