Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simichrome substitute?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

Default Simichrome substitute?

Is there a substitute for Simichrome that I can use to polish my Esterbrook pens?

I've searched local auto parts stores and they have all sort of metal, chrome and even headlight polishing creams... But no Simichrome. I probably will have to buy this stuff online but the search got me thinking: Is there a substitute?

Thanks

Default Re: Simichrome substitute?

Good question that I'd like to know the answer too as well.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

MisterBoll

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

I believe semichrome is alumina dispersed as an emulsion in a hydrocarbon carrier. Likely there are also flow agents in the mix. Just check the ingredients to find something similar.

Thanks

No.6: “I am not a number, I am a person.”
    New No.2: “Six of one, half a dozen of another.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 6of1 For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (June 23rd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

If you can find Flitz, that's a good solution too (though Simi has really passed the test with a lot of pens). But since you mention Esties, there isn't a whole lot of metal trim on them. If you are thinking primarily about the body of the pen, I really like the 3-step polish set from Novus. You can do your own search, but here is what I got on Amazon:

Novus Plastic Polish Kit
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Try the Tamiya fine polish compound which is good for plastic , resin and celluloid. But not working on Omas resin. I use it to polish my pens except the Omas Milord. You can find it in the plastic model shop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to john For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Is there a substitute for Simichrome that I can use to polish my Esterbrook pens?

I've searched local auto parts stores and they have all sort of metal, chrome and even headlight polishing creams... But no Simichrome. I probably will have to buy this stuff online but the search got me thinking: Is there a substitute?
    Do you mean for polishing the plastic on your Esterbrooks?

--Daniel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBoll View Post
    Yes, but I can't get it locally.

Thanks

Hi

Anyone ever tried Autosol Gold & Silver Polish on their pens. or their Chrome Plated Plastic Polish

Paul
    Last edited by Paul-H; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post

--Daniel
    Yes. I also found it odd. But it seems that's what the pros use...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If you can find Flitz, that's a good solution too (though Simi has really passed the test with a lot of pens). But since you mention Esties, there isn't a whole lot of metal trim on them. If you are thinking primarily about the body of the pen, I really like the 3-step polish set from Novus. You can do your own search, but here is what I got on Amazon:

Novus Plastic Polish Kit
    Very effective even for gold-plated parts, not as aggressive as polishing cloth. Though might leave a dull finish depending on the cloth/surface. I usually top the gold plated parts off with a very light application of polishing cloth (lighter than compared to cloth only)

Thanks

carlos.q, I don't know if you can find it in your place or not. I use the V-tech Vitalsol (Malaysian product)for polishing the metal parts of the pen even the gold plated clip or cap band. It is safe, not aggressive and leaving no polish mark. Vitalsol is cheap and effective. You can also use on the plastic except Omas resin.
    $(KGrHqV,!lEFBK9wqbPOBQk!rs8,!g~~60_35.JPG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Hi

Anyone ever tried Autosol Gold & Silver Polish on their pens. or their Chrome Plated Plastic Polish

Paul
    Don't use it, it's too core for the plastic. If you want to remove the slight scratch, it will be fine.

Thanks

I listen carefully to all the recommendations I've heard over the past couple of years, especially those from the very respected pen restoration people. And even then, when I want to do a little work on one of my pens, I invoke the directive Primum non nocere. Use the least amount of intervention to bring the pen to it's best appearance!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (June 23rd, 2013)

Thanks

--Daniel
    Yes. I also found it odd. But it seems that's what the pros use...
    Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it. It's not formulated for plastics, it has substances in it I choose not to expose pens to (mineral spirits, kerosene), and it leaves powdery residue in crevices that is a pain to remove. Probably a third of the pens that cross my bench have obviously been Simichromed, and I spend a lot of time eradicating that tenacious powder.

--Daniel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    carlos.q, I don't know if you can find it in your place or not. I use the V-tech Vitalsol (Malaysian product)for polishing the metal parts of the pen even the gold plated clip or cap band. It is safe, not aggressive and leaving no polish mark. Vitalsol is cheap and effective. You can also use on the plastic except Omas resin.
    $(KGrHqV,!lEFBK9wqbPOBQk!rs8,!g~~60_35.JPG
    Vitalsol is marketed as being able to "restore the shine of heavily weathered and corroded surfaces," and in addition to a powerful abrasive, it contains a wax which it leaves behind. How have you concluded that it is safe for gold-plated pen trim and also for most plastics?

--Daniel

Thanks

Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it. It's not formulated for plastics, it has substances in it I choose not to expose pens to (mineral spirits, kerosene), and it leaves powdery residue in crevices that is a pain to remove. Probably a third of the pens that cross my bench have obviously been Simichromed, and I spend a lot of time eradicating that tenacious powder.

--Daniel
    Ok... But then I return to my original question: Is there a substitute? Or better yet: is there something that is safer and works better than Simichrome for polishing pens?

Thanks

Well, I'm a pro, and I don't use it, and I don't recommend it.
    And therein lies the crux of the problem for those of us out here, Daniel: this is your recommendation, and we know that other professionals use it and suggest it's use as well. By seeing your caveat in place, it can make us non-pros aware of the pitfalls, but at the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Of all the products I use on my pens, I use more caution than anything else.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

--Daniel
    Ok... But then I return to my original question: Is there a substitute? Or better yet: is there something that is safer and works better than Simichrome for polishing pens?
    Take a look at Novus, but as usual, technique also matters.. slow is fast