Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Reddit Worth Using?

Thanks

Default Re: Is Reddit Worth Using?

They have moderators that can step in when the bullshit gets too high in a thread, so there's that.

I also personally enjoy the collapsible threads. It means I can reply to a side conversation or related tangent that does end up 20 forum posts down the line and ignored. It also isn't as clunky as the full QUOTE function here, which is also nice.

Also, I dare anyone to post a bunch of Metro pictures here or "what ink should I choose" posts and see how that goes. The answer often boils down to some form of "do your homework" by searching threads already archived, which can be laborious and have outdated information.

Each have their place in the world. Honestly, Reddit is a place to get hyped for the hobby and buy/sell pens second hand. FPGeeks is more a social club (hopefully) more in depth conversations, but it more often than not is just a great deal of pissing back and forth, which is a shame.

Reddit gets a +1 for diversity, thats for sure.

Edit to add: I don't actually spend much time there anymore, but I also barely spend time here, to be honest. Maybe 15 minutes a day at most. For people new to the hobby or wanting to feel encouraged, go to Reddit.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

BTW, in case people weren't aware, one of the long time members here, Will Gunadi, is a moderator at the fp reddit. Will and I have had a lot of chats about how the various forums run and the social structure behind them. Will's a really good guy and the mods at the fp reddit do a good job of keeping things in order, within the constraints of the reddit platform.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 22nd, 2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Better way of saying it
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    And Redditors don’t hunt in packs & turn as one onto another member who doesn’t “conform”. Odd Bods are welcomed there.
    Some do, and the reason you don't see those kind of behavior often there is because the moderators (I am one of them) there are doing their job to prevent toxic content (and users) from bringing the place down (this is me giving a lot of credits to my fellow moderators, who volunteered their time given the limited tools that reddit.com avail to them).

As Jon said, it's a balance. The r/fountainpens subreddit is great for the energy and enthusiasm, and sometimes innovation (the good, bad, and sometimes ugly). But if you try to straighten some facts, you will often find yourself at the wrong end of a musket proclaiming you as a "gatekeeper", while all you try to do is just pointing out that some things are established in the hobby before the subreddit even existed, and they actually serve a purpose.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 22nd, 2020), Chrissy (March 22nd, 2020), Deb (March 22nd, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    As Jon said, it's a balance. The r/fountainpens subreddit is great for the energy and enthusiasm, and sometimes innovation (the good, bad, and sometimes ugly). But if you try to straighten some facts, you will often find yourself at the wrong end of a musket proclaiming you as a "gatekeeper", while all you try to do is just pointing out that some things are established in the hobby before the subreddit even existed, and they actually serve a purpose.
    Can't thank you enough for saying that, Will. You know, more than most (courtesy our conversations), that this is the part that has caused me the most angst. You sell yourself short on your mod skills (which are human skills) and if it wasn't for your wise counsel I might have walked a good while ago. Thankfully, your calm dialog helps me to stay in the fray and offer help to the newer people to the pen world. It makes me happy that a couple of my items have ended up as pinned posts - gotta help those left-handers!

The fp reddit owes you and the rest of the mods a big debt of gratitude!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I look in once in a while....and spend a bit too much time on pen/swap. I've managed to pick up a few nice pens there.