Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Combatting the virus and economic risk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Combatting the virus and economic risk

From my Facebook feed today. If nothing else, proof that Zuckerberg is spying on us.

So you're saying virus edition.jpg

Thanks

With all the available evidenced based information readily available, why does anyone trust FB. Glad I deleted my account in '18. Pure garbage at its best.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 29th, 2020), sgphoto (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    With all the available evidenced based information readily available, why does anyone trust FB. Glad I deleted my account in '18. Pure garbage at its best.
    So what you're saying is that you don't understand memes or sarcasm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Oh, look! It's our resident "principled debater" putting words in other peoples quotes...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 29th, 2020), LeFreak (March 29th, 2020), sgphoto (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Oh, look! It's our resident "principled debater" putting words in other peoples quotes...
    So what you’re saying is that you don’t understand memes or sarcasm either.

Thanks

sar•casm sär′kăz″əm►
    n. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to express contempt or ridicule.
    n. A form of wit characterized by the use of such remarks.
    n. A biting taunt or gibe, or the use of such a taunt; a bitter, cutting expression; a satirical remark or expression, uttered with scorn or contempt; in rhetoric, a form of irony; bitter irony.

i•ron•y ī′rə-nē, ī′ər-►
    n. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    n. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

Irony is clever and I admire skilful practitioners, sarcasm is nasty and unhelpful and is best never used.

Thanks

It's all for the lulz, isn't it? Trolling the libs, the misogyny, hypocrisy and self-pity... You should save this witty banter for your /r/redpill account.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 29th, 2020), Fermata (March 28th, 2020), LeFreak (March 29th, 2020), sgphoto (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocl View Post
    sar•casm sär′kăz″əm►
    n. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to express contempt or ridicule.
    n. A form of wit characterized by the use of such remarks.
    n. A biting taunt or gibe, or the use of such a taunt; a bitter, cutting expression; a satirical remark or expression, uttered with scorn or contempt; in rhetoric, a form of irony; bitter irony.

i•ron•y ī′rə-nē, ī′ər-►
    n. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    n. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

Irony is clever and I admire skilful practitioners, sarcasm is nasty and unhelpful and is best never used.
    You don’t practice irony. It makes itself present, or is a byproduct of sarcasm. I find them both equally delicious. Not everyone has a well developed sense of humor though.
    Last edited by dneal; March 28th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks

It's all for the lulz, isn't it? Trolling the libs, the misogyny, hypocrisy and self-pity... You should save this witty banter for your /r/redpill account.
    I thought you had me on “ignore”. Hypertension makes one more susceptible to coronavirus. You should avoid threads that get your blood pressure up. But I suspect pretty much everything triggers you.

Thanks

One last comment before I go outside and enjoy the break in the rain.

Every time I see the “thanks” to the hater’s posts, I picture a toddler sticking out a pouty lip. Thanks for the giggles, and please keep it up.

Thanks

But he does understand an asshat when he reads one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sgphoto For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    But he does understand an asshat when he reads one.
    Another hypocrite who whines about incivility. What's curious is post 26

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post

It may be time for the Ignore button to work its magic again, Deb.

And just like that -it's Done!
    Or maybe it's not done.

The irony on both counts is delicious. I'm going to expand my "thanks" of posts that make me chuckle.

Thanks

Every time I see the “thanks” to the hater’s posts, I picture a toddler sticking out a pouty lip. Thanks for the giggles, and please keep it up.

Just a guess, but I'll bet no one here cares enough to hate you. I know I don't.

I see a sad, lonely man glued to a screen reveling in the glee of anyone paying attention to him for any reason. Frankly, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps your military experience damaged you socially; that would not be unusual, it wasn't helpful to me that way. Do you have a therapist? Have you stopped your appointments due to our virus restrictions? Perhaps we can go in a different direction, and you can tell us about all that brings you joy in life. After all, this IS a thread about you.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 29th, 2020), Fermata (March 28th, 2020), Pterodactylus (March 29th, 2020), sgphoto (March 28th, 2020), silverlifter (March 28th, 2020), welch (April 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

Just a guess, but I'll bet no one here cares enough to hate you. I know I don't.

I see a sad, lonely man glued to a screen reveling in the glee of anyone paying attention to him for any reason. Frankly, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps your military experience damaged you socially; that would not be unusual, it wasn't helpful to me that way. Do you have a therapist? Have you stopped your appointments due to our virus restrictions? Perhaps we can go in a different direction, and you can tell us about all that brings you joy in life. After all, this IS a thread about you.
    I know you're being an ass, but I'll chime in anyway.

My military experience was rewarding overall. I was enlisted and an officer, and served for 32 years. I've been to Afghanistan and Iraq. I've been shot at, mortared, and blown up by a suicide bomber. I have no regrets and no PTSD (other than I don't like sand anymore and hate the beach...). If I do, the VA owes me some money.. I'm very resilient. I have a degree in philosophy, and thought about a lot of deep shit a long time ago. I think it helped prepare me for some particularly challenging experiences.

You said you served, so I imagine you understand that one ends up with a pretty thick skin. Nothing anyone says here bothers me. The stupidity gets a little frustrating, but hey, that's the interwebz. In the grand scheme of my life experience, a little snowflake with offended sensibilities being mouthy is about as insignificant as it gets. I suppose I don't want people to hate me, but I don't really care one way or another. I do get a chuckle out of many of these posts, the same way whiny new privates are humorous. I'd rather not have this be the direction the thread went, but here we are. I'll gladly admit stirring the pot a little, but I do not admit to starting any of it.

I would think your service would also inform you of the humor developed in the service. It's irreverent, and sometimes dark. When you see some horrible things, and learn how precious life is and how cruel reality can be; you learn to laugh at almost everything and enjoy life. I'm far from a sad lonely man. I have a beautiful loving wife, a smart healthy son (who also served), and I'm happily retired with a few acres and plenty of stuff to keep me busy. I'm curious and I'm a free thinker. I'm a student of history. I like playing guitar, messing with fountain pens, and a whole lot of other things with the exception of long walks on the beach (for reasons mentioned earlier).

This thread isn't about me, and has never been. YOU are the one making it personal. I'd still like to have a serious discussion on the topic, but you and others make that impossible with the repeated snide comments and groupthink. It dawned on me today while catching up on "The Walking Dead" that the social justice/virtue signaling/woke culture is somewhat similar to a zombie horde. They're incapable of forming a thought, and just follow along with the group. Challenge their ridiculous notions and they just scream "brains!" louder. It's only when they become a mob that they have any effectiveness, and that's through shouting down others (as I mentioned before). I ain't skeered of a bunch of brain dead zombies on the internet. I'll happily play this game as long as you guys want, until I get bored with it, or the rain lets up enough for me to get to work outside. A sense of humor would serve a lot of you much better than the clenched sphincters you've got now.

It does baffle me that none of you see or will admit to any wrong doing, nastiness, etc... I suppose if you're so dense that you can't see the obviousness of the "so you're saying" meme and me using the exact words of that meme... well, you get the point (or not).

Here's another meme that makes me laugh.

IMG_0177.JPG
    Last edited by dneal; March 28th, 2020 at 05:35 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

It does baffle me that none of you see or will admit to any wrong doing, nastiness, etc... I suppose if you're so dense that you can't see the obviousness of the "so you're saying" meme and me using the exact words of that meme... well, you get the point (or not).
    None of "us" have called anyone "cunt". Nor singled out women, or those we percieve to be women, on the boards for personal slurs. For someone who claims to have a thick skin, you spend an awful lot of time here justifying yourself. That, and the misogyny, really do speak to a deep seated insecurity. It's a shame that you have let it fester into such a seething hatred of others.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 28th, 2020), Brilliant Bill (March 29th, 2020), Deb (March 29th, 2020), Fermata (March 28th, 2020), Freddie (January 27th, 2021), ilikenails (April 18th, 2020), LeFreak (March 29th, 2020), welch (April 15th, 2020)

Thanks

From experience, people are hardly able to talk abstract and in theory, which always make discussions subject to all kins of competitions, rivalry, etc. All kinds of new and old issues enter into it and we all hold a part in the current drama some how.

I think the precautions Italy took would have worked if they were set in action two or three weeks earlier. With the swine flu, which initially was a similar scare, all action and hope where on the vaccinations. This time there wasn't any vaccine and we were forced to rely on other methods. How this virus outbreak compares to Sars1, Mers, or the H1N1/H2N2 category of viruses will be know later this year when data is gathered. I'm pretty sure we have comparable cases in the past, 1956, 1968, 1977, 2009. The numbers vary from different sources, but on average something like 300.000–650.000 is estimated to die from the seasonal flu. (I'm sure I have read numbers closer to 50.000?) If you compare covid19 to one of these, the fatality numbers given in the news now will not affect the general estimations much.

What ever this lesson is, I guess it will be clearer later on too.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

None of "us" have called anyone "cunt". Nor singled out women, or those we percieve to be women, on the boards for personal slurs. For someone who claims to have a thick skin, you spend an awful lot of time here justifying yourself. That, and the misogyny, really do speak to a deep seated insecurity. It's a shame that you have let it fester into such a seething hatred of others.
    This is a "so what you're saying..." post. Please quote specifically where I called a woman a cunt. You can't. You infer it from a different post, because it suits your virtue signaling agenda. You're the one festering, not me. From reading your triggered posts, I chuckle when I imagine your triggered face. I'll just have to use the meme and my imagination.

Looking forward to all the "thanks" you'll get for that one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    From experience, people are hardly able to talk abstract and in theory, which always make discussions subject to all kins of competitions, rivalry, etc. All kinds of new and old issues enter into it and we all hold a part in the current drama some how.

I think the precautions Italy took would have worked if they were set in action two or three weeks earlier. With the swine flu, which initially was a similar scare, all action and hope where on the vaccinations. This time there wasn't any vaccine and we were forced to rely on other methods. How this virus outbreak compares to Sars1, Mers, or the H1N1/H2N2 category of viruses will be know later this year when data is gathered. I'm pretty sure we have comparable cases in the past, 1956, 1968, 1977, 2009. The numbers vary from different sources, but on average something like 300.000–650.000 is estimated to die from the seasonal flu. (I'm sure I have read numbers closer to 50.000?) If you compare covid19 to one of these, the fatality numbers given in the news now will not affect the general estimations much.

What ever this lesson is, I guess it will be clearer later on too.
    I agree.

Dr Fauci and his fellows published an article titled "Covid-19 - Navigating the Uncharted". I posted it in the virus thread here

Here is a direct link to the article

The pertinent text on fatality rates is quoted below. Of course we cannot know for sure, and this is just the best estimate given the current data.

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%. In another article in the Journal, Guan et al. report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.
    Last edited by dneal; March 28th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    No, it just demonstrates the inability of most internet denizens to have a calm, rational discussion.
    I'm sorry that my response was certainly one that kicked it in that direction. There have certainly been other times, and other subjects, where calm and rational discussion would be far easier to offer and maintain. I know that I'm on edge, fraught with concerns for family and friends caught up in all this far deeper than I and, having that layer underneath most of my daily considerations, the concept of casual and mindful discussion on the economics of the pandemic, as it is affecting the United States, is likely beyond me.

I should have simply not replied at all.
    I understand. At least you weren't an obnoxious cunt about it...

So my last 10 years or so in the Army were at the Theater Army level. U.S. Army Europe is the DOD face to all of Europe. U.S. Army South is the DOD face to all of Central and South America (less Mexico, which is Army North). After that, I worked on redesigning the Army from a counter-insurgency force to one that can fight a peer competitor. Point is that I'm familiar with thinking at the operational and strategic level.

Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) is an Army mission. Army North has this task for the U.S. It's everything from disaster relief to pandemic outbreaks. It's not martial law. It's providing DOD resources to State and Federal agencies. Civil unrest is a key concern with any crisis. Economic catastrophe would lead to a lot of civil unrest. Hell, look what an election caused from ne'er-do wells. What happens when hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people don't have a job to return to? When an army of waiters, factory workers and other hourly workers... can't pay their rent or buy food for their families? They're not going to starve willingly (and look at gun sales over the last month or two...).

It's not something that can be ignored, and dealt with later. It's something that should be thought about and planned for now.

That's all I'm saying, and all I'm offering for discussion.
    Err, how about here?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Annie (April 2nd, 2020), Deb (March 29th, 2020), LeFreak (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    No, it just demonstrates the inability of most internet denizens to have a calm, rational discussion.
    I'm sorry that my response was certainly one that kicked it in that direction. There have certainly been other times, and other subjects, where calm and rational discussion would be far easier to offer and maintain. I know that I'm on edge, fraught with concerns for family and friends caught up in all this far deeper than I and, having that layer underneath most of my daily considerations, the concept of casual and mindful discussion on the economics of the pandemic, as it is affecting the United States, is likely beyond me.

I should have simply not replied at all.
    I understand. At least you weren't an obnoxious cunt about it...

So my last 10 years or so in the Army were at the Theater Army level. U.S. Army Europe is the DOD face to all of Europe. U.S. Army South is the DOD face to all of Central and South America (less Mexico, which is Army North). After that, I worked on redesigning the Army from a counter-insurgency force to one that can fight a peer competitor. Point is that I'm familiar with thinking at the operational and strategic level.

Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) is an Army mission. Army North has this task for the U.S. It's everything from disaster relief to pandemic outbreaks. It's not martial law. It's providing DOD resources to State and Federal agencies. Civil unrest is a key concern with any crisis. Economic catastrophe would lead to a lot of civil unrest. Hell, look what an election caused from ne'er-do wells. What happens when hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people don't have a job to return to? When an army of waiters, factory workers and other hourly workers... can't pay their rent or buy food for their families? They're not going to starve willingly (and look at gun sales over the last month or two...).

It's not something that can be ignored, and dealt with later. It's something that should be thought about and planned for now.

That's all I'm saying, and all I'm offering for discussion.
    Err, how about here?
    Yep, that is to Jon Szanto. He's a man. I know the rules about gender fluidity are pretty loose in some peoples' world, but I'm pretty sure that still doesn't qualify as calling a woman a cunt.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (March 28th, 2020)