Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Virus

Thanks

Default The Virus

What should we do until this latest virus runs headlong through the population and generates a good herd immunity? My wife and I are discussing this. We may decide to hole up and write a new decameron, or maybe even a vigintimeron while pestilence rages outside. (Wow! this spell-checker is an ignorant piece of fluff.) Our ink cellar could hold out for a long time; if it ran low, I could always make more with some walnut hulls. Pens are no problem; I have plenty of them. Getting a few reams of paper might be a good idea.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks

Default Re: The Virus

I went to buy some food yesterday. As I was paying a mother and her two under 10 children were waiting in line, they were both coughing and sneezing.

I moved away as quickly as I could and boxed up my purchases.

The man at the check out, said to the mother 'Whats this about', she said 'I know, their school is closed because of the virus, I have had to come home from work, we have no food in the house and they are going to be home for 2 weeks, I couldnt leave them at home'.

She had brought two children who were contagious to a public place and they were spreading their germs, all this in a time when there is a heightened awareness of a disease that could be a killer to some.

Doctors on TV are talking about self isolation, not only in your own home, but in your own room, with your own cutlery and so on.

Did this problem really start from a chinese person buying a bat at a market and eating it as some people suggest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

As we're both retired we don't tend to go out so much, but yesterday was our day at the hairdressers. Another customer coughed without covering her mouth the whole time she was in there and I wondered if I should have had a mask.

Currently when mail comes through the letterbox we wash our hands after opening it.

Edited for spelling mistake.
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 28th, 2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

... still much more likely that you die in a car accident. And by the time the virus has gained the upper hand (over other causes of death): maybe mother nature realized there are too many individuals of this one species of overly cerebral primates on this planet...

Thanks

The U.S. stock market is in full 1929 mode. In the end, that may prove more damaging than an infectious disease.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (February 28th, 2020), inklord (February 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Working in a school, I watch the lack of manners and have students sneezing and coughing without covering their mouth. Mix this with the lack of hygiene (hand washing etc) and there is no wonder why the flu has been spreading. I worry less about the Corona virus and more about the flu.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookedj For This Useful Post:

ThriveToScribe (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    The U.S. stock market is in full 1929 mode. In the end, that may prove more damaging than an infectious disease.
    There are many people that say this is intentional - not to get too kooky conspiracy. There are too many questions......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookedj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

I'm thinking of opening a Nosegay & Medico della Peste mail order site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    As we're both retied we don't tend to go out so much, but yesterday was our day at the hairdressers. Another customer coughed without covering her mouth the whole time she was in there and I wondered if I should have had a mask.

Currently when mail comes through the letterbox we wash our hands after opening it.
    And while you were untied?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Its OK. I planned for that while I was in a guard shack, hugging an M14.
    Last edited by Paddler; February 29th, 2020 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks

Now we have subjects for two parts of the new decameron: The Pen Collector's Tale and The Veteran's Tale.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I too am more worried about the flu. But frankly I could use some time in isolation with my pens, get a lot of writing done, maybe start on my second novel while I edit my first?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobblecup For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hard to joke about that here. Our lives have been turned upside down. So far were okay but the whole city is on lockdown. I hope they can get this under control soon.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 2nd, 2020), Fermata (March 2nd, 2020), jar (March 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Hard to joke about that here. Our lives have been turned upside down. So far were okay but the whole city is on lockdown. I hope they can get this under control soon.
    Our sympathies Stub, I am sure that the situation is exceptionally difficult.

One of the options that some governments is considering is the immediate banning of non essential indoor public gatherings, this is a topic on the agenda for at least one government crisis meeting.

We are approaching pen show season, most hotel rooms and exhibition halls will have been booked months ahead. I am no expert at this but I presume that if a government bans non essential public gatherings and there is no Force Majeure exemption on the booking conditions that the organisers will remain responsible for the hiring costs and other expenses.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

stub (March 2nd, 2020), ThriveToScribe (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    I too am more worried about the flu. But frankly I could use some time in isolation with my pens, get a lot of writing done, maybe start on my second novel while I edit my first?
    I'm not sure why anyone would be more worried about the flu than about coronavirus. There's a vaccine against the flu. Though its effectiveness varies from year to year it forms at least some protection. To date there is no vaccine protection against this thing.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    ... still much more likely that you die in a car accident....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookedj View Post
    Working in a school, I watch the lack of manners and have students sneezing and coughing without covering their mouth. Mix this with the lack of hygiene (hand washing etc) and there is no wonder why the flu has been spreading. I worry less about the Corona virus and more about the flu.
    According with Associated Press, today from 89000 cases there are roughly 3000 deaths, which is a rate of ~3%. A normal flu has kind of same rate or higher!
    After reading about this subject from previous years and different flues, the virus is deadly to individuals with low immune system; most likely elderly, children and others with some different diseases. I don't know about any conspiracy, but I blame media for induce panic!
    Anyway, it is a very good idea to wash your hands, avoid crowded places too, and have a stock of food.

As for pens and inks...they will outlast me.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 2nd, 2020), ThriveToScribe (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

A confirmed case today in the county where we live. A school has been closed and deep cleaned. I don't think there is a chance that there won't be an outbreak here in the UK
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Just been listening to an expert (present company excepted but this is almost always a mistake) his prediction was that between 100,000 and 500,000 deaths, mostly in the over 60s, within 6 months and that the virus is likely to return for winter 2020 in an altered form. He also said that the World Health Organisation is suggesting that the over 60s do not go on public transport or go to crowded places, especially where you are likely to be stood within 1 metre of another person. There was also a live interview with someone in WuHan, still on lockdown. People there are not leaving where they live, food is ordered and delivered, no one is attending work or school.

This is looking serious.
    Last edited by Fermata; March 2nd, 2020 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would be more worried about the flu than about coronavirus. There's a vaccine against the flu. Though its effectiveness varies from year to year it forms at least some protection. To date there is no vaccine protection against this thing.
    Yet even with the vaccine we see tens of thousands of deaths annually in the US alone from the annual flu.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

AzJon (March 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I had two trips (March and May) planned and paid for, and likely they will be cancelled. Or I will cancel March, since it was to Italy and while it might be great to go to Italy when it's not crowded, I am afraid of being quarantined on my return to the US, assuming they let me return.

We're taking a wait and see attitude. This situation changes day to day, but unfortunately epidemics tend to get worse before they get better.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post: