Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Combatting the virus and economic risk

Thanks

Default Re: Combatting the virus and economic risk

[QUOTE=dneal;287355]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    One last comment before I go outside and enjoy the break in the rain.

Every time I see the “thanks” to the hater’s posts, I picture a toddler sticking out a pouty lip. Thanks for the giggles, and please keep it up.

Just a guess, but I'll bet no one here cares enough to hate you. I know I don't.

I see a sad, lonely man glued to a screen reveling in the glee of anyone paying attention to him for any reason. Frankly, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps your military experience damaged you socially; that would not be unusual, it wasn't helpful to me that way. Do you have a therapist? Have you stopped your appointments due to our virus restrictions? Perhaps we can go in a different direction, and you can tell us about all that brings you joy in life. After all, this IS a thread about you.
    I know you're being an ass, but I'll chime in anyway.

My military experience was rewarding overall. I was enlisted and an officer, and served for 32 years. I've been to Afghanistan and Iraq. I've been shot at, mortared, and blown up by a suicide bomber. I have no regrets and no PTSD (other than I don't like sand anymore and hate the beach...). If I do, the VA owes me some money.. I'm very resilient. I have a degree in philosophy, and thought about a lot of deep shit a long time ago. I think it helped prepare me for some particularly challenging experiences.

You said you served, so I imagine you understand that one ends up with a pretty thick skin. Nothing anyone says here bothers me. The stupidity gets a little frustrating, but hey, that's the interwebz. In the grand scheme of my life experience, a little snowflake with offended sensibilities being mouthy is about as insignificant as it gets. I suppose I don't want people to hate me, but I don't really care one way or another. I do get a chuckle out of many of these posts, the same way whiny new privates are humorous. I'd rather not have this be the direction the thread went, but here we are. I'll gladly admit stirring the pot a little, but I do not admit to starting any of it.

To recap:
    1. Whether you want it or not, it's happened. I'm pretty convinced you are trying to pick a fight with everybody on FPG. And, you know, you just might do it!!
    2. We don't care either. Your buffoonery is a source of comic relief in an otherwise somber time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    No, it just demonstrates the inability of most internet denizens to have a calm, rational discussion.
    I'm sorry that my response was certainly one that kicked it in that direction. There have certainly been other times, and other subjects, where calm and rational discussion would be far easier to offer and maintain. I know that I'm on edge, fraught with concerns for family and friends caught up in all this far deeper than I and, having that layer underneath most of my daily considerations, the concept of casual and mindful discussion on the economics of the pandemic, as it is affecting the United States, is likely beyond me.

I should have simply not replied at all.
    I understand. At least you weren't an obnoxious cunt about it...

So my last 10 years or so in the Army were at the Theater Army level. U.S. Army Europe is the DOD face to all of Europe. U.S. Army South is the DOD face to all of Central and South America (less Mexico, which is Army North). After that, I worked on redesigning the Army from a counter-insurgency force to one that can fight a peer competitor. Point is that I'm familiar with thinking at the operational and strategic level.

Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) is an Army mission. Army North has this task for the U.S. It's everything from disaster relief to pandemic outbreaks. It's not martial law. It's providing DOD resources to State and Federal agencies. Civil unrest is a key concern with any crisis. Economic catastrophe would lead to a lot of civil unrest. Hell, look what an election caused from ne'er-do wells. What happens when hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people don't have a job to return to? When an army of waiters, factory workers and other hourly workers... can't pay their rent or buy food for their families? They're not going to starve willingly (and look at gun sales over the last month or two...).

It's not something that can be ignored, and dealt with later. It's something that should be thought about and planned for now.

That's all I'm saying, and all I'm offering for discussion.
    Err, how about here?
    Yep, that is to Jon Szanto. He's a man. I know the rules about gender fluidity are pretty loose in some peoples' world, but I'm pretty sure that still doesn't qualify as calling a woman a cunt.
    Sorry pal, this is a reply TO Jon Szanto. Not about Jon Szanto. It is perfectly clear who you were referring to as an "obnoxious cunt." You can't weasel out of it. So, own it and apologize. It just might mend some fences.....not that you care.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 29th, 2020), Deb (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

To recap:
    1. Whether you want it or not, it's happened. I'm pretty convinced you are trying to pick a fight with everybody on FPG. And, you know, you just might do it!!
    2. We don't care either. Your buffoonery is a source of comic relief in an otherwise somber time.
    It can stop at any time. I'm glad you are having a laugh too.

Here's a funny Deadwood compilation of "cunt". If you've seen the series, it should garner a laugh. If you haven't, well it's just a bunch of 1 second clips of the word. Pretty sure they're not intending any misogyny.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    No, it just demonstrates the inability of most internet denizens to have a calm, rational discussion.
    I'm sorry that my response was certainly one that kicked it in that direction. There have certainly been other times, and other subjects, where calm and rational discussion would be far easier to offer and maintain. I know that I'm on edge, fraught with concerns for family and friends caught up in all this far deeper than I and, having that layer underneath most of my daily considerations, the concept of casual and mindful discussion on the economics of the pandemic, as it is affecting the United States, is likely beyond me.

I should have simply not replied at all.
    I understand. At least you weren't an obnoxious cunt about it...

So my last 10 years or so in the Army were at the Theater Army level. U.S. Army Europe is the DOD face to all of Europe. U.S. Army South is the DOD face to all of Central and South America (less Mexico, which is Army North). After that, I worked on redesigning the Army from a counter-insurgency force to one that can fight a peer competitor. Point is that I'm familiar with thinking at the operational and strategic level.

Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) is an Army mission. Army North has this task for the U.S. It's everything from disaster relief to pandemic outbreaks. It's not martial law. It's providing DOD resources to State and Federal agencies. Civil unrest is a key concern with any crisis. Economic catastrophe would lead to a lot of civil unrest. Hell, look what an election caused from ne'er-do wells. What happens when hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people don't have a job to return to? When an army of waiters, factory workers and other hourly workers... can't pay their rent or buy food for their families? They're not going to starve willingly (and look at gun sales over the last month or two...).

It's not something that can be ignored, and dealt with later. It's something that should be thought about and planned for now.

That's all I'm saying, and all I'm offering for discussion.
    Err, how about here?
    Yep, that is to Jon Szanto. He's a man. I know the rules about gender fluidity are pretty loose in some peoples' world, but I'm pretty sure that still doesn't qualify as calling a woman a cunt.
    Sorry pal, this is a reply TO Jon Szanto. Not about Jon Szanto. It is perfectly clear who you were referring to as an "obnoxious cunt." You can't weasel out of it. So, own it and apologize. It just might mend some fences.....not that you care.
    Jeezus Christ on a Cross. I KNOW it's TO Jon Szanto. I said it was TO Jon Szanto. You quoted me saying it. If I used a different expletive, would I be meaning someone else? Who specifically was I referring to (like I asked you a few pages ago). Again, if I wanted to call anyone a cunt directly, I would do it. You haven't figured that out by now?

You're confusing what you have inferred, with what I said. I don't have to own, and can't apologize for your wrong assumptions.

--edit--

p.s. Stop being a cunt about it. lol
    Last edited by dneal; March 28th, 2020 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks

To recap:
    It can stop at any time. I'm glad you are having a laugh too.

Here's a funny Deadwood compilation of "cunt". If you've seen the series, it should garner a laugh. If you haven't, well it's just a bunch of 1 second clips of the word. Pretty sure they're not intending any misogyny.

There is no amount of excuses or ridiculous attempts at explanations that can un-do what you did. It was ugly, vulgar, disrespectful and totally out of bounds. I'll bet those voices who "PM" you in the middle of the night (so no one else knows they have done it? OMG!!!) would agree to this, too. Own it, apologize for it .........and then, yes, let's all please stop it. It's time to move on.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 29th, 2020), Deb (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

There is no amount of excuses or ridiculous attempts at explanations that can un-do what you did. It was ugly, vulgar, disrespectful and totally out of bounds. I'll bet those voices who "PM" you in the middle of the night (so no one else knows they have done it? OMG!!!) would agree to this, too. Own it, apologize for it .........and then, yes, let's all please stop it. It's time to move on.
    Now go back and look for the other of my posts where I did say what I thought of the person you think I was referring to. I won’t be bullied into an apology I don’t owe because you imagined something. You guys are the dipshits that keep bringing this up, not me. If you want to move on, then do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    One last comment before I go outside and enjoy the break in the rain.

Every time I see the “thanks” to the hater’s posts, I picture a toddler sticking out a pouty lip. Thanks for the giggles, and please keep it up.

Just a guess, but I'll bet no one here cares enough to hate you. I know I don't.

I see a sad, lonely man glued to a screen reveling in the glee of anyone paying attention to him for any reason. Frankly, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps your military experience damaged you socially; that would not be unusual, it wasn't helpful to me that way. Do you have a therapist? Have you stopped your appointments due to our virus restrictions? Perhaps we can go in a different direction, and you can tell us about all that brings you joy in life. After all, this IS a thread about you.

Your final sentence hits the nail on the head to perfection.

I have lived a long time and on every continent but until now I have never met a person where I have thought, this is someone that the world can do without, an appalling human being.

This thread is also not unique in exposing this wretch of a man, his previous posts over four years have shown his character and personality, he shows every likelihood of continuing with the least provocation.

I have blocked him but if you want to continue to see this poor excuse for a human being's words then you have every right to continue but for the sake of others who want a more peaceful and equitable life then I must ask if engaging with him is actually worth the key clicks.

If no one is listening then he may stop talking.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (March 29th, 2020), Deb (March 29th, 2020), Pterodactylus (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Your final sentence hits the nail on the head to perfection.

I have lived a long time and on every continent but until now I have never met a person where I have thought, this is someone that the world can do without, an appalling human being.

This thread is also not unique in exposing this wretch of a man, his previous posts over four years have shown his character and personality, he shows every likelihood of continuing with the least provocation.

I have blocked him but if you want to continue to see this poor excuse for a human being's words then you have every right to continue but for the sake of others who want a more peaceful and equitable life then I must ask if engaging with him is actually worth the key clicks.

If no one is listening then he may stop talking.
    The hypocrisy is thick on so many levels here.

Not directed solely at you, but if you weren’t so selective in your reading you might notice that I do respond rationally and respectfully to posters who can address the topic of the thread in a dispassionate respectful manner. You say you have me blocked, but you’ll peek. It’s human nature.

Thanks

FWIW, if you were so much smarter than the rest of us, surely you would have worked out by now that the people that have blocked you can still see your posts that are quoted by others?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    FWIW, if you were so much smarter than the rest of us, surely you would have worked out by now that the people that have blocked you can still see your posts that are quoted by others?
    Clearly you're...

tgd southpark.gif
    Last edited by dneal; March 29th, 2020 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fix stupid gif so it will work...

Thanks

Why would I be triggered by your stupidity? I was simply pointing it out so that you don't continue to make yourself look even more foolish (if that were really possible, at this point).

Marvellous rejoinder, thouugh, for a self-proclaimed "philosophy student".
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Deb (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Why would I be triggered by your stupidity? I was simply pointing it out so that you don't continue to make yourself look even more foolish (if that were really possible, at this point).

Marvellous rejoinder, thouugh, for a self-proclaimed "philosophy student".
    tgd southintensifies.gif

Thanks

Fascintin',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dead Wood.............

Fred

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freddie For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 29th, 2020), ethernautrix (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

An interesting article from the Harvard Business Review about the response to the pandemic:
    https://hbr.org/2020/03/lessons-from...eid=940570775c

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 30th, 2020), dneal (March 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    An interesting article from the Harvard Business Review about the response to the pandemic:
    https://hbr.org/2020/03/lessons-from...eid=940570775c
    It seems that widespread testing, tracing and subsequent quarantine are key; and that requires a significant mobilization of resources.

To come full circle, and address a Reason Magazine link posted earlier; you essentially arrive at three general groups:

1. Those that are currently infected. They should be sequestered / quarantined, and treated. As an aside, there's a story circulating of a NY doctor who has been successful in treating 699 cases so far.

2. Those who were infected and show antibodies. They can go back to work, etc... to help reduce economic impact. People in group 1 would slowly become members of group 2.

3. Those who are not, and have not been infected. This is harder to address, and varies depending on risk factors. At a minimum, they would need to observe stricter precautionary measures (social distancing, stay at home, etc...). I think you have to assume they will be infected at some point, in order to account for worst case; but you want to limit the number at any given time to "flatten the curve".

Thanks for the link.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Is risking DEATH worth acquiring more money?
    Shawn

Thanks

AGREED;rational persuasive analysis.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    Is risking DEATH worth acquiring more money?
    Shawn
    Like coal miners, firefighters, deep sea crab fisherman, loggers, oil field workers, police, etc...?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I am so happy that it is completely impossible that the virus was genetically engineered and deliberately released in order to crash the world's economies and let those in the loop pick up the pieces afterwards. That is why we don't need to even look at the economic aspect of any of this. Big government and big pharma will save us all. Good thing Bill Gates funded this: https://21stcenturywire.com/2019/12/...-vaccinations/
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Avoid the clickbait, people.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Annie (April 2nd, 2020), Chrissy (April 1st, 2020), countrydirt (April 1st, 2020), Deb (April 1st, 2020), empliau (April 1st, 2020), TSherbs (April 1st, 2020)