Thread: All set up and good to go on WhatsApp & FaceTime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default All set up and good to go on WhatsApp & FaceTime

I've had FaceTime since I bought my new computers and iPhone but as my BF and I couldn't video chat because she has Android I decided to get myself all set with WhatsApp.

I started by downloading it onto my iPhone and then set up WhatsApp web on my Macbook and iMac. Even managed to take a photo. I don't know if it's working or not because my BF has been trying to phone gov.uk for days so she's currently not available.

Maybe I will find out if it works one day.....

Quick questions to all of those techs out there:

Does FaceTime work with email addys worldwide for free to both users assuming only WiFi is used?
    Does WhatsApp only work with phone numbers? Those were the only contacts it found, so I guessed that might be the case.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Re: All set up and good to go on WhatsApp & FaceTime

In my limited experience, yes and yes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

The Zoom app has become quite popular these days. You can have multi-person videoconferencing up to 40 minutes for free.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 25th, 2020), Chrissy (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

To be absolutely honest, I'm not in the market for downloading loads of apps onto my iPhone. In fact, WhatsApp is the only one I've put on there that wasn't on there when I bought it.
    Yes I'm probably old fashioned.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes FaceTime is free to both parties provided they have an Apple id and an apple device to make the call on and they are on wifi (or have an unlimited data plan)

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. If you want more privacy you could consider another platform like signal https://signal.org/ or jami (formerly ring) https://jami.net/

This spreadsheet helps with making the decision https://öä.eu/bac.html it’s slightly out of date. Example jami aka ring now allows multiple devices with one account (i think...)

Good luck with your calls
    :

8. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 25th, 2020)

Thanks

As a supplementary question I've found that because I now have an iMac, a MacBook and an iPhone all "known" to each other, my FaceTime calls seems to show my phone number rather than my email addy. I'm assuming that the phone number is automatically input as default detail somewhere.

Is there a way to change this on my own Contact card on the computers? I would prefer it to show my email address unless I'm actually using FaceTime on my iPhone.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

FaceTime-->Preferences-->Settings-->"You can be reached for FaceTime at..." and make your choice(s). I was unable to find an article in Apple support that describes how to vary that setting across devices under one Apple ID. I confess hunting for things like that is not a favorite pastime, so I might have thrown in the towel too early.

https://support.apple.com/guide/face...elcome/5.0/mac --> click on Table of Contents

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    FaceTime-->Preferences-->Settings-->"You can be reached for FaceTime at..." and make your choice(s). I was unable to find an article in Apple support that describes how to vary that setting across devices under one Apple ID. I confess hunting for things like that is not a favorite pastime, so I might have thrown in the towel too early.

https://support.apple.com/guide/face...elcome/5.0/mac --> click on Table of Contents
    Thanks Fred, I eventually found that. Never noticed it there before while I was using FaceTime. Doh!

Thanks

the same setting also applies to iMessage. Also pay attention to the "start new conversations from" setting in messages on all devices. This is one of Apple's more confusing things that sometimes leads to weirdness that can be hard to diagnose/correct. In the end it's not THAT hard (mumbles something about wasting over an hr figuring this out the first time), but it can be VERY frustrating when first dealing with it.

Functionally, it should make little/no difference which identifier (AppleID or phone number) your friends/family use TO CALL YOU as long as you have the "you can be reached at" setting set correctly. However, having DIFFERENT "start new messages from" settings can cause your contacts to have TWO of you show up in their list of contacts in messages etc... which can be frustrating/confusing
    Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; March 31st, 2020 at 08:02 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

My wife's relatives in England are devoted to WhatsApp even though they have Apple devices, and pulling them to FaceTime or Skype is like pulling teeth. My understanding is WhatsApp suffers from the same privacy shortcoming and data harvests as Facebook, so I deleted it from my MacBook and iPhone (as I did Facebook). What's the advantage of WhatsApp for members of the cult of Apple?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    My wife's relatives in England are devoted to WhatsApp even though they have Apple devices, and pulling them to FaceTime or Skype is like pulling teeth. My understanding is WhatsApp suffers from the same privacy shortcoming and data harvests as Facebook, so I deleted it from my MacBook and iPhone (as I did Facebook). What's the advantage of WhatsApp for members of the cult of Apple?
    AFAIK the only advantage of WhatsApp for Apple users is if one of them has an Android phone not an iPhone. Or indeed anything that's Apple. WhatsApp was the only way I could video phone my best friend. However, it only does video calling on phones, not on the PC as far as I could work out.

Thanks

the only advantage i can see is that "everyone has it" like facebook messenger... so it allows cross platform communication

it appears to have the ILLUSION of privacy, though that is seriously in doubt since Facebook owns it...

As shown in the chart i posted above, it looks like signal is likely one of the safer better options. The biggest issue here is it faces the problem of people having "app saturation" and not wanting "yet another messaging system". Something pretty much everyone can sympathize with. Also, for me personally, i don't like having a phone number be required to register... but if their blog is to be believed, they do all they can to safeguard your privacy. (and yes, there are workarounds for this like burner SIM cards etc)

easy solution? Stick to having "Blue bubble friends"

the upside to your situation FredRydr is that if you YOU initiate the call then you can choose the system you use! (also just fyi; skype suffers from the same privacy concerns as whatsapp, perhaps even worse in that the server absolutely knows the contents of your messages/calls)

i don't know what the solution is here, it gets even more difficult when dealing with people who have a "i dont care, i have nothing to hide" attitude towards privacy and security.

Jasso

I agree that WhatsApp suffers from a lack of privacy and data collection. Using the usual WhatsApp Spy https://www.hoverwatch.com/whatsapp-spy you can record their WhatsApp messages, embedded audio and video files, phone calls, use your phone’s camera to secretly take photos.
    Last edited by Jasso; May 26th, 2020 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks

Well, I wouldn't link my personal Facebook page to my work page on instagram. This is not always convenient. Besides, privacy is usually important to me.
    Last edited by NvMS; June 27th, 2022 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks

Resurrection spammer reported

Thanks

i like whatsapp new features like create video link and invite link will send to friends or family members to talk in group call . WhatsApp is very famous communication site.

Thanks

Spam reported