Thread: Info on Platinum mini 60's or 70's

Thanks

Default Info on Platinum mini 60's or 70's

Hello,
    I've found a local seller letting go a couple Platinum vintage pens, mostly the mini's but I really can't find much on google, except that it is a similar to the Pilot mini's elite etc.

Anyone has any experience with this? The seller says the nibs are alright but have not tested/opened for years. Are these gold plated? How does it write? I would be able to get slight line variation without much effor on the 14K or 18K?
    They are about 30USD shipped.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2020-03-25 13_44_22-Window.png2020-03-25 13_44_32-Window.png2020-03-25 13_44_41-Window.png

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Default Re: Info on Platinum mini 60's or 70's

You can't see the nibs clearly on those, but if they say 18K or 14K on them they are gold, not plated. There are Pilot, Platinum and Sailor versions, as well as unnamed ones. I wouldn't expect a great deal of line variation - maybe a little bounce or softness. (I have a Sailor 18K pocket pen and it is definitely softer than modern Sailors - also several others but I haven't inked the other ones yet!).

Just checking, I have two Platinums (neither exactly that model) - one has a smaller nib than that and is a nail, the other is one of the silver ones with bouquets of flowers on it and has a bit of give. Nib on the second looks like the same shape as those, but that doesn't necessarily tell you anything.
    Last edited by Voiren; March 26th, 2020 at 03:27 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (March 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

When I've seen them available, Pilot Elite pens like these in your pics usually have gold nibs and as Voiren says, if they are marked as 14K or 218K then they are gold not plated nibs. Yes they are firm nibs, so not much flex, but still a good price if you can get them for $30.

You could try doing an ebay search for Pilot Elite fountain pen and see if you can find some more images and examples on there. I wasn't aware that there was a specific mini version of the Elite. It's called a pocket pen because it's small with a long cap. When you post the cap you get a long pen.

I've been looking for one for quite some time but they usually have F or EF nibs and I want something much broader.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thanks Voiren!

Chrissy, those are Platinum, not Pilot hehe! They really look a lot like it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRusso View Post
    Thanks Voiren!

Chrissy, those are Platinum, not Pilot hehe! They really look a lot like it.
    Oh are they? They really look very similar to each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

They're all very similar. I don't know who started but that style really took off in Japan. I picked up one or two recently. Lovely nibs if you like firm.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    They're all very similar. I don't know who started but that style really took off in Japan. I picked up one or two recently. Lovely nibs if you like firm.
    The platinums?

I was looking to get some slight line variations that I can get with my dip pen with G-Nib without much effort as you can see the image attached. Am I looking at the wrong pens?

journal.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I meant that the Platinum and Pilot long/short pocket pens all look quite similar.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    The platinums?

I was looking to get some slight line variations that I can get with my dip pen with G-Nib without much effort as you can see the image attached. Am I looking at the wrong pens?
    Those Platinum pens wouldn't be my go to pens of choice for line variation.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 26th, 2020 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I took some photos of mine, because I'd already got them out to look at the Platinums...

IMG_20200326_123411-01_edit.jpg

From left: two Sailors, two Platinums, a Pilot and an unnamed.

IMG_20200326_123645-01_edit.jpgIMG_20200326_124638-01_edit.jpg

Nibs. The bottom left Sailor is the one I've been using. The Sailor logo and 18K are on the sides of the nib rather than the top. The unnamed three-tine music nib doesn't say anything on the visible part. From the side view you can see that the bigger Platinum (bottom right) has a really flat feed and side profile.

IMG_20200326_125442-01_edit.jpg

My inked Sailor and the quickly-dipped larger Platinum. The heavy text is not *too* heavy-handed, but is deliberate. The ink's darkened over time in my Sailor, and that is writing wetter too.

IMG_20200326_130346-01_edit.jpgIMG_20200326_130211-01.jpeg

I went ahead and dipped the music nib too! It does flex, but tends to railroad if you go for maximum line variation in one stroke. It is a shallow oblique as well, so works better with a little rotation.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 26th, 2020), grainweevil (March 26th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (March 26th, 2020)

Thanks

A music nib in a pocket pen - I had no idea such a thing was, well, a thing. Why is there no drooling smilie when you need one?

Can't help with the original question, I fear. My only pocket pen experience is with a Pilot example with a plated nib; I believe the word is they were made in Korea.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

great collection, thanks very much. I see that the sailor 18K seems to give a more interesting writing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

great collection, thanks very much. I see that the sailor 18K seems to give a more interesting writing.
    Every nib can flex at least once, but doesn't mean it was intended for it. The 14K and 18K nibs don't inherently have the ability to do so (and return to it's unflex shape without damage). Also every nib may differ I've had a Platinum Pocket pen that had a 14K nib that was a bit on the springy side, I wouldn't have ever considered it flex or capable of line variation in regular practice, just had a bouncy feeling (like many of the 'soft' nibs out there, not intended for flex writing to that degree).

But then the exact same model of pen, that just happened to be in a different color has a rather firm fine nib.

Sometimes they'll have inscriptions to define them as being 'soft' like the platinum on the bottom I think (I'm not too familiar with the Kanji).

Others will be a bit more obvious such as this 18K "Soft" nib.

But just the same, the 18K Nib can also be firm as a nail such as this 18K "Posting" nib.

The nibs on some may be softer feeling, but definitely not intended for line variation and can damage the nib if you keep going at it heavy for that purpose. The softs at best are good for a single size up (which isn't much visually) when jotting down similar to a number of bouncy semi-flex.

Probably the only one I would say gets closer to a semi-flex in ease, that seems to a little more dramatic (and was for a tiny bit of shaded writing, but not the line variation that many people expect now days) would be the "Falcon" nibs that are labeled "FA" now :

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    I fear. My only pocket pen experience is with a Pilot example with a plated nib; I believe the word is they were made in Korea.
    Probably that small "Elite" that SpeerBob on eBay was selling for quite a while with the Steel EF. And yes they were made in Korea, likely 70s or 80s.

Compared to a Japan made Elite of the time :

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I have one of those NOS pens from speerbob (he is still selling them). The nib feels amazingly soft and springy like my Sheaffer Balance Junior (which is 14k gold). I was sure the Elite nib was gold. I'm completely gobsmacked that it is steel.
    Last edited by azkid; April 4th, 2020 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    I fear. My only pocket pen experience is with a Pilot example with a plated nib; I believe the word is they were made in Korea.
    Probably that small "Elite" that SpeerBob on eBay was selling for quite a while with the Steel EF. And yes they were made in Korea, likely 70s or 80s.
    Very likely. I acquired it pre-loved, so can't say if it came via SpeerBob, but (once I'd finally found it) it does look identical. It's a very good little pen.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    [snip]

Sometimes they'll have inscriptions to define them as being 'soft' like the platinum on the bottom I think (I'm not too familiar with the Kanji).

The kanji in question does indeed mean soft.