Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS App to simulate a fountain pen

Thanks

Default iOS App to simulate a fountain pen

Does anyone know of any good iOS apps that can simulate a fountain pen?
    I'm thinking that would be a good way to practice writing and testing out how various inks would look like before committing to buying yet another bottle.

If such a thing does not exist....WHY isn't there one?
    That would be just so cool.

Thanks

There isn't one for too many reasons to count. How do you specify nib size when writing with a finger. How do you simulate paper characteristics. How do you specify ink shading, sheen, transparency, color, etc. Plus things like lubrication, flow, permanence, etc. Some iron gall inks change color as they dry. Many many more reasons. Plus iPhone/iPad screens generate light, and paper/ink reflect and absorb it, which adds another wrinkle.

That being said, the Apple Pencil does let you control line width by how you hold/angle the pen. But I am not sure it'd be a good simulation of writing with a real fountain pen or dip nib, much less flexible vs stub, italic, etc

Interesting idea, but I am not sure it's feasible, and it would be a whale of a lot of work.....for 99 cents? And a very limited market.

There are a lot of calligraphy training and practice apps, especially Chinese calligraphy, but they do not compare to a real fountain/dip/flex pen nib.

Apples & Oranges, you might say...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill.davis For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (July 27th, 2017), Robert (July 28th, 2017)

Thanks

I just got an iPadPro and I'm looking for things I can use it to do
    Last edited by Chuasam; July 30th, 2017 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: iOS App to simulate a fountain pen

If you have an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil there is basically one app you really need: Procreate

Other apps to play arround: INKredible, Sketchbook, MediBang Paint, Inspire Pro, Adobe Sketch,....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (July 27th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I cannot imagine how it would work, or even why it would be useful. Try a Rhodia pad...for a lot less money for far more accuracy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (December 25th, 2020), Sammyo (July 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Testing an ink does of course not work, but simulating a FP writing output works to some degree.
    What also works is to practice writing skills.

But you are right to practice also a piece of paper and a pencil is sufficient.
    A pencil is a great tool to practice (e.g. Learn to write with a flexible nib)

For me the iPad Pro + Apple Pencil is a great platform for digital sketching/drawing/painting.
    Itˋs a cool tool, imho superior to graphic tablets on conventional computers, you really forget that you have not a "real" pen (pencil) in your hand, it feels like real (talking about drawing not writing).
    And you can use it everywhere, e.g. on the couch in the evening (most of my digital drawings were made on my living room couch)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; July 27th, 2017 at 03:24 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (July 27th, 2017)

Thanks

@Chuasam I'm guessing that you don't yet own a fountain pen. Do yourself a favor and jump right in.

There are some really good inexpensive ones (pilot varsity, platinum preppy, pilot metropolitan). If you don't want to invest in a notebook, then open some of your junk mail and practice on that (envelopes mostly).

Thanks

I already do own a few fountain pens. My main writer is a Lamy2000 with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai (blue black). I'm tired of my box of mostly barely used inks. Tired of travelling with a pen in a ziplock to protect against leaks.

I basically want the FP experience with no mess *LOL*
    I want to be able to see how an ink would look before I get yet another bottle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuasam View Post
    I already do own a few fountain pens. My main writer is a Lamy2000 with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai (blue black). I'm tired of my box of mostly barely used inks. Tired of travelling with a pen in a ziplock to protect against leaks.

Which leaks?
    Which mess?
    Are we talking about the same kind of pens?

Buying an ink is and will be always a it of a surprise, but that's part of the fun, and inks are not expensive so nothing really bad can happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

Which leaks?
    Which mess?
    Are we talking about the same kind of pens?

Buying an ink is and will be always a it of a surprise, but that's part of the fun, and inks are not expensive so nothing really bad can happen.
    Oh I meant air travel. I put my pen in a ziplock when I fly. I have six bottles of ink on my desk.

Thanks

Fountain pens, ink and paper are basically analog in nature - the touch, the feel and . . . yes, (sometimes) the mess. And that's why I like them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 23rd, 2024)

Thanks

My mother in law has a phone called an LG stylus, the little pen that pops out can then be used to take notes, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it writes with some line variation like a stub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Fountain pens, ink and paper are basically analog in nature - the touch, the feel and . . . yes, (sometimes) the mess. And that's why I like them.
    Yes I agree you hit it on the nose. I like getting a little ink on my hands every once in a while also.

Roger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have a great day!!

Roger

Thanks

Have you tried mixing your own colours? I'm a neophyte at mixing, but I was very pleased with the results I got from my first few attempts. I didn't like the Sailor reddish brown, so I bought some Sailor red and mixed up a batch of burgundy just the way I imagine a real Burgundy should look! I also created a forest green that I find very subtle and a pleasure to use. I even had the foresight to record quantities so I now have a recipe for the next attempt. And it was rather fun along the way - complete with ink all over my fingers. (Next time I think I might wear latex gloves).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PecosPeet View Post
    Have you tried mixing your own colours? I'm a neophyte at mixing, but I was very pleased with the results I got from my first few attempts. I didn't like the Sailor reddish brown, so I bought some Sailor red and mixed up a batch of burgundy just the way I imagine a real Burgundy should look! I also created a forest green that I find very subtle and a pleasure to use. I even had the foresight to record quantities so I now have a recipe for the next attempt. And it was rather fun along the way - complete with ink all over my fingers. (Next time I think I might wear latex gloves).
    It would actually make more sense to get a dip pen and a box of watercolours. Often the chemical components of mixing two inks can lead to precipitate clumping in your pen. Either that or I actually believed the ink makers trying to sell me more ink.

Thanks

It would actually make more sense to get a dip pen and a box of watercolours. Often the chemical components of mixing two inks can lead to precipitate clumping in your pen. Either that or I actually believed the ink makers trying to sell me more ink.
    I was told to not mix inks rom different manufacturers. I assumed that meant mixing within one manufacturer is OK . So my Burgundy is a Sailor mix and my forest green a Montblanc mix. I'd like to try some other colours, but I haven't come up with anything I want to create. I am very happy with the royal blue and black that I use. I'd love to get a nice gold and a silver, but I have no idea where to start to achieve that. So I stick to some felt markers I buy at the craft store.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Chuasam;214866]
    Quote Originally Posted by PecosPeet View Post
    A dip pen is a great (and cheap) way to go to try lots of inks. Also there are many online stores that sell small sample vials for you to try, individually and in bundles. You don't say where you live, so I can only make suggestions from what I know, but try checking out Anderson pens, Vanness pens and Goulet.

As for mixing inks, there are brands that sell inks specifically to be mixed. Platinum sell the “Mix-free” and Sailor sell the “Storia” range of inks. They are specifically designed to be mixed. I’m sure you could pick up a sample vial of a range of colours quite cheaply and mix and play until you learn what you like. Then, when you are happy, you can go and buy the full size bottles
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (July 31st, 2017), PecosPeet (August 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

Unless it's specifically stated not to, you can try mixing any ink (Rohrer & Klingner, for instance, say it's fine except for their Sepia) - but don't put it in a pen straight away. Make a small amount and leave it in a vial for a couple of days to do anything dodgy, and if it does just don't put it in your pen. The Other Place has a forum board for ink mixes that work, and ones that don't. I've done quite a bit of ink mixing and have found that any problems have been the exception rather than the rule, and experimenting to get the colour you want is a lot of fun. Be not afeared!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (August 22nd, 2017), PecosPeet (August 2nd, 2017)

Thanks

I had a mid-level XP-PEN graphic drawing tablet before I bought an iPad Pro. I absolutely love the iPad Pro with Procreate. Procreate is designed especially for the iPad Pro+Apple Pencil. But I also end up using XP-PEN with Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop a lot as well.

Now, to tell you my feeling after 2 months with this combo...it is just amazing. The pencil has awesome design functionality, no lag, sensitivity of the tip can be customized, the app is indeed very intuitive and customizable for drawing/painting digitally. I would say less for photography, but they are still improving by adding a lot of features with each update.

Thanks

I've never heard of such an app, but I would be happy to try it. By the way, I am here to ask for recommendations on a scanning ap for my design job. Could someone recommend something free?