Thread: From a Doctor: afe Shopping and Food Delivery

Thanks

Default From a Doctor: afe Shopping and Food Delivery

Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 27th, 2020), Fermata (March 27th, 2020), FredRydr (March 27th, 2020), sospiro (March 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: From a Doctor: afe Shopping and Food Delivery

A big thank you for this information presented so clearly.

Thanks

This is very helpful because I am sure that there are people who have become nervous, and therefore reluctant, to go shopping for food.

Home food deliveries are now impossible to organise, I need to buy some bread and milk later today, i will be wearing nitrile gloves and following the advice in the vid. The last lot of shopping I just washed everything I could in hot soapy water. It is a good tip on the vid to ditch the cardboard before the food is put away.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks

Been doing this for nearly a month now, but nothing "dirty" is getting as far as the kitchen. Instead I've opted for an "exclusion zone" by the front door, and everything gets wiped down there or outer wrappings discarded where possible. It's certainly a big incentive not to shop often or buy too much, I can tell you, but hopefully it's some extra protection for my dad.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

While the video has some good ideas, he's completely wrong on washing vegetables and fruits with a soak in soapy water.

While I appreciate the doctor's advice and his concern, it must be remembered that most medical doctors are not scientists.

https://www.livescience.com/do-not-w...with-soap.html

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Well, this is why it's called The Lounge: laypeople sitting around offering conflicting information* regarding various aspects of life. I'll turn back to Pennsylvania's health department and the CDC for guidance. Thanks, though. (Of course, would I rather chance a bit of dish soap or a bit of virus spores? Hmmmm....)

*Edited to add this very apropos illustration:

Thank you, grainweevil.
    Last edited by FredRydr; March 29th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Most medical schools in the U.S. require medical students to successfully complete at least a year of biology, a year of chemistry, a year of organic chemistry, and a year of physics. Calculus and statistics are encouraged. The MCAT tests knowledge of human anatomy in addition to general biology.

Along with the basic biology and the microbiology, virology and biochemistry courses all medical and osteopathic students must complete, that year of organic chemistry, year of physics, and year of basic chemistry provide enough scientific knowledge for a medical doctor or osteopath to conclude that washing fruits and vegetables with soap - whose molecules have a hydrophilic end that forms hydrogen bonds with water and a hydrophobic non-polar end that bonds with compounds like lipids - will remove a virus, whose outer coating is comprised of lipids.

But what the heck do I know, I come from [not that far] from Waunakee - and worked in a medical school while I while completing my biology degree.

Rest easy, Fred, and thank you. Thanks grainweevil and fermatta.

And to the troll sgphoto, for a much-needed nudge to stop posting things online.

Stay well. Adieu.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; March 29th, 2020 at 05:57 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

LeFreak (March 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

We went food shopping together after lunch on Friday. I only went for the car journey to get out of the house for an hour.

At our local Sainsbury's OH had to join a queue of people who were a long way apart and when he got near to the entrance he had to join a zig-zag queue to get in.
    While trying to keep his safe distance from every other person, some people were standing around in the aisles rather than knowing what they wanted and getting it as quickly as possible.

He was back in the car within an hour.

He wore no gloves and no mask and he didn't wash down the shopping trolley, but he never touched any part of his face while he was out of the house. We called the table the dirty area and the worktop the clean area. As soon as the bags were on the table we washed our hands. Then we unpacked everything and wiped each item with a surface wipe before it made it off the dirty area. Once everything was packed away we cleaned the table with a surface wipe and washed our hands again.

No touching of faces until after hands are clean. That's what we've been doing for weeks now.

The only problem is that my hands are sore from washing. Hand cream is essential.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens