Thread: An "Accurate" pen review

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default An "Accurate" pen review

As some may recall, a while ago I acquired a vintage fountain pen that had no branding on it except for the name "Accurate" engraved on the clip. The principal reason for this purchase was the desire to own at least one old ebonite pen, especially with a woodgrain effect to it. Unfortunately, as I subsequently discovered, this pen is in fact made of some other material - most likely a plastic of some kind. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant pen to use, or is now (more on this later).

Here is the pen (apologies for photos, everyone knows I am not good with a camera).

Some dimensions:

Pen capped = 132 mm
    Body = 104 mm
    Body + nib = 129 mm
    Approx max girth of body = 13 mm
    Narrowest part of section is approx. 10 mm
    Section length = 15 mm

Originally the pen would most likely have been fitted with a size 8 warranted gold nib. In this case the seller has replaced this with a large vintage Parker Duofold nib in an extra fine width. So it is fitting to give a quick comparison with a Parker Duofold Sr, thus:

As can be seen, both pens are very similar in sizes. The Accurate pen is perhaps a 1 mm longer when capped, and seems slightly thicker overall. The length difference is more noticeable when uncapped, but still not too significant.

The Accurate pen posts firmly, but ends up being 170 mm long! The balance remains largely unaffected.

As can be seen, it is a lever filler. Not really anything I can add that most people already don't know about such systems. It works, and takes a reasonable fill of ink.

A word about the nib. I would have preferred the original nib to maintain some degree of authenticity. The fitted Duofold nib was almost unusable when it arrived. At first I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I kept it aside and did some reading. With no little trepidation I endeavoured to align the tines and give the tipping the lightest of smoothing. Now it writes very well and will remain in my small collection.

Overall, the Accurate pen is a nice larger size that would most likely fit the hand of the majority of writers. It is light in weight too.

I remain committed to finding a vintage ebonite woodgrain pen, though expect it to be a long, long wait.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

amk (September 21st, 2020), azkid (March 28th, 2020), Bisquitlips (November 17th, 2020), carlos.q (March 28th, 2020), catbert (March 28th, 2020), digitalsedition (September 20th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (March 28th, 2020), Pterodactylus (September 21st, 2020), Scrawler (October 13th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: An "Accurate" pen review

I felt your appraisal was inaccurate....just kidding. Thank you for posting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Nice work on the nib tine alignment. The two duofold nibs I have are pretty nice. I think that's a handsome looking pen too.

Thanks

Very nice review. Thank you for sharing.
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

The key here is that you've taken the first step into nib tuning (that includes smoothing). By doing this, you have moved beyond the total reliance on vendors to make you happy, which sometimes is tricky due to the personal preference factor.

Notice that I am not saying that sellers (vendors) are off-the-hook from going above and beyond to make buyers happy.

I always tell people that part of owning a fountain pen, is the tuning, just like any other instruments like guitar, violin, knife, etc.

So, congrats.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thanks, Will. I'm not completely comfortable with nib tuning yet of course, but a step in the right direction. Now to go look for an actual ebonite pen.

Thanks

Was flushing the pen and I think I was being a bit vigorous with the lever, and now I think the pressure bar may have become dislodged.

Can I have some suggestions of who to send it to for repair please? (It's probably a bit too delicate for my skills).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Was flushing the pen and I think I was being a bit vigorous with the lever, and now I think the pressure bar may have become dislodged.

Can I have some suggestions of who to send it to for repair please? (It's probably a bit too delicate for my skills).
    I had one J bar break from having rusted over time on an Esterbrook. While I hope this is not your case, I am curious of Anderson pens might have a replacement. If so, replacement is an easy process with a pair of long nose tweezers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Certainly in principle the adjustment is straightforward, it's just that I am a bit cack-handed and don't want to damage the section while removing it.

Thanks

No one? That's disappointing.