Thread: Vintage Sheaffer - triumph, vacs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Vintage Sheaffer - triumph, vacs

Relatively recently I lucked into a couple of vintage Sheaffers. Normally I don't go for this brand as they rarely fit my hand well enough, as you shall see.

Anyway, here they are:

The Carmine vac filler with a wide cap band comes from the worktable of Gerry Berg. The brown striated one is from eBay. Both have had their filling systems expertly restored by Gerry, and hold a goodly amount of ink.

As can be seen, the Carmine versions is much thicker, but in all other aspects they are the same size.

[I wish I could remember the models, so please say if you can identify them and I will update this post]

One odd difference lies between the nib and the small step down on the barrel. As can be seen the larger pen has a much longer section before getting to the threads for the cap. The other has these threads further forward and more of the stripey material after it. I am not sure this serves anything other than as a visual difference, rather than any functional purpose. It may be a reflection of changing styles.

As noted above, Sheaffer pens are usually a poor fit for me. Here is the Carmine pen in my hand and unposted.

It is very awkward to use this way. Post the cap though, and while the pen becomes significantly longer, it is by no means a big pen this way either, thus:

For the purposes of comparison, here is a Pilot Custom 823 in my hand, unposted and perfectly useable.

The nibs on the Sheaffer's are a joy to use. Smooth, with just a whisper of feedback. I am pleased to have acquired both of these pens for my very small vintage group, and they do get regular use. They would certainly be a good choice for someone with more normal sized hands than mine, and a nice introduction to vintage pens and the rather nice conical triumph nibs.

The brown striated pen has a very beaten up cap band, and the opening to the cap isn't perfectly round. Yet despite these flaws it is my favourite of the two, and often accompanies me to work. Perhaps I feel less worried about it getting bashed around, who can say.

[Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20, set for aperture priority. Lighting was just a desk lamp. No tripod]
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 28th, 2020 at 03:50 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2020), carlos.q (March 28th, 2020), catbert (March 28th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Sheaffer - triumph, vacs

Very helpful to see how these fit in the hand. My hands aren't large (more like medium) so maybe these models would work for me.

The pics remind me of how my Balance Junior feels in hand—too short unless the cap is posted. I should sell it but the soft nib is hard to part with.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try out this style of Sheaffer for a while now.

I notice one of the two has the ribbed (actually I think it is a single, continuous groove cut like a screw) for better grip.

Thanks

Thanks. Yes, the section on the Carmine version is ribbed, offering a little more traction than the other pen. However, both are comfortable in the fingers.

Edit: regarding hand sizes - from the pictures you can see why I might refer to the Montblanc 149 as a short, fat pen!
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 28th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Curse you for rekindling my interest in the brown striated variety ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Lovely pens. Worth a note that Gerry Berg says these pens were designed to be used posted. If you look closely at the inner cap ring you'll see why (also the reason vintage Sheaffers don't have posting rings)...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Not sure I understand. What I am looking for on the inner cap ring?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Not sure I understand. What I am looking for on the inner cap ring?
    The metal threading:
    The cap's rim is hard metal and gold-filled. It does not actually contact the barrel!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 28th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (March 28th, 2020), fereous (April 3rd, 2020)