Thread: Ebonite Sailor King of Pens

Thanks

Default Ebonite Sailor King of Pens

Among my favorite writers, because they are large yet lightweight, is the Sailor King of Pen in ebonite, which according to "Fountain Pens of Japan" Sailor originally called Vulcanite. The ones here include two discontinued models: first-generation KoP with barrel & cap bands. Oddly, its cartridge-converter housing is considerably longer than those I have seen on all subsequent KoP models, even older bandless ebonite KoPs. The second is a bandless red & black ebonite with a Mike Masuyama custom XXF nib. Though it is razor thin, the nib writes a remarkably smooth line. Finally, there is a current production bandless model with rhodium trim & rhodium coated nib. Enjoy your weekend. Stay healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (March 28th, 2020), Bob (April 6th, 2020), countrydirt (March 29th, 2020), guyy (August 8th, 2021), sgphoto (March 28th, 2020), steelpanalley (March 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Ebonite Sailor King of Pens

Really nice trio, Barry! I especially like that red ebonite.

I blame you for first getting me interested in King of Pens. I currently have three and they are among my favorite, best writing pens.

Left to right are King of Pen Ocean (North America only), King of Pen Asian Way (Japan only), and this years LE King of Pen Blue Wave.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Barry! The first generation pen that drew you into these pens reminds me of...well.... Nah, it couldn't be!

Thanks

Hi Fred, It is! I have always been a big fan of cartridge fillers. Remember the adage from when we were young? Cartridge pens are for children; fountain pens are for adults. Well, I never grew up. Cartridges remain my favorite filling mode. I always wanted a 149 with a cartridge filler, but 149s are for big people who wear long pants & go to work each day. When the King of Pen appeared, I fell in love. It resembled, well, you know what it resembled. And, it filled via cartridge. Presto, my ideal model! Stay healthy, Everyone.