Thread: FS: Waterman 416 PSF – OS Sterling Overlay

Thanks

Default FS: Waterman 416 PSF – OS Sterling Overlay

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple months. *Each of these pens is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c.1915 Waterman 416 PSF – OS Sterling Trefoil Vine Overlay (sterling silver over HR, lever filler, 14k M Factory Stub nib). Measures 5 5/8" capped with a very thick girth (doesn't even fit into the pen tray!). Based on Waterman catalogues of the 1910s and 20s, the original sticker prices of these oversized overlays were roughly 2 to 3 times that of a standard 52-sized models (452, 552), which was itself a fairly exclusive luxury item at the time. For this reason, a 6-sized overlay like this one is orders of magnitude scarcer. But what makes this pen downright rare is the 416 PSF ("pocket self-filling") stamp on the barrel-end, which is how Waterman identified their first lever fillers (c.1915-17) before adopting the standard '5' designation (52, 456, etc.). The protuberant barrel threads of this pen narrow down its manufacture to the first year or so of that date range. It is made of black hard rubber overlaid by sterling silver, filigreed and engraved in the elegant Art Nouveau Trefoil Vine pattern. Note that cap and barrel overlays as well as clip and lever (underside of globe) are all marked 'sterling'. Commensurably large 14k Ideal NY #6 nib is a firm Factory Stub. It lays down a smooth and consistent M line on the down-stroke and XF line on the cross-stroke (see writing sample above – please forgive the omission of 'P' from 'PSF'). (n.b. box in photos is for display purposes only – this pen doesn't fit in it)

Condition: NO CRACKS, CHIPS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT/MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING ISSUES. Hard rubber retains its dark black color with minimal fading and no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Overlay bears a professionally engraved monogram ("J.B.") on the indicia (see detail photo in album). The monogram as well as the engraved details of the overlay show some weakening. But the overlay has no deep scratches, dings, or other notable blemishes aside from a couple minor indentations around the cap's crown (see detail photo above). Manufacturer imprint around end of barrel of the barrel is all but illegible, though one can make out parts of it with a loupe. Number stamp on barrel-end is weakened but still fully legible (see detail photo in album). A seldom seen pen at half the price they've recently fetched from online vendors.

Price: $820 $770 (incls. USPS Priority shipping to CONUS locations with full insurance coverage) SOLD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: In accordance with the social distancing protocols brought on by the pandemic, I will be making only one trip to the post office each week. This will be on Tuesday afternoon. For pens purchased over the weekend, this means that your pen(s) will be mailed on the usual day. But it does delay the shipment of pens purchased between Tuesday afternoon and Friday until the following Tuesday. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs.

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to reply PM me with firm request to purchase. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs after a hold is placed, then pen(s) may become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for well over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

Last edited by popcod; April 13th, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Waterman 416 PSF – OS Sterling Overlay

Oh dang, it even has my initials on it! Too bad it’s out of my budget. GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTea For This Useful Post:

popcod (April 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Price reduced
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

were did you by it i cant find waterman anywere

strikers