Thread: Picked up an Esterbrook J Cheap (restored now, though that cap... )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Picked up an Esterbrook J Cheap (restored now, though that cap... )

Picked this up cheap off the eBay (which claimed to never have been inked, but clearly it was as I figured it would be).

Just got it this afternoon, cleaned it up and restored it. The sac pretty much just poured out of the pen once I unscrewed the nib unit.
    The pressure bar was pretty rusted, sanded it down and polished it up and slipped it back in on the spacer, also had to resort to the hair dryer to get the grip out of the section.

The plastic seems to have shrunk in some areas, such as around the top of the cap as it shrunk in towards the inner cap. Seems to be more cosmetic than anything as the cap still screws on firm and doesn't seem to be an issue.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 31st, 2020), carlos.q (March 30th, 2020), catbert (March 31st, 2020), Chuck Naill (March 31st, 2020), pajaro (April 2nd, 2020), peace (June 17th, 2020), Scrawler (April 3rd, 2020), sgphoto (March 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Picked up an Esterbrook J Cheap (restored now, though that cap... )

Very nice pen. My favorite color is the grey, but black a close second.

I've only found one pen with the original sac intact, an early Deluxe with friction fit. I do not think it was every inked. A member said that it may have been dipped to demonstrate the nib. The nib was loose and it may have been used to try out various nibs. I've chosen to leave as found and housed in it's cardboard box. It replaced one I gave to my grand daughter's boyfriend.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 31st, 2020), welch (April 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Picked up an Esterbrook J Cheap (restored now, though that cap... )

Finished pen (though the cap shrunk at the top, more visible in this picture, and not something I can fix myself)

Has Montblanc Irish Green in it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

welch (April 6th, 2020)