Thread: Going outside despite the virus.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Default Going outside despite the virus.

It appears that my state's stay at home policy is not meant to forbid going outside for some exercise, provided that it's possible to keep one's distance from others. That's lucky, since a 24/7 confinement to home, work, and my car, with a weekly trip to the grocery and/or drugstore, would be really hard to take.

So I've been going for walks every day. The work schedule at our facility is, let's say creative, to deal with the fact that we need round the clock coverage with a staff of limited size. I generally walk either in the morning or afternoon, depending on which shift I'm covering that day, with today and tomorrow off this week.

Because many small Connecticut towns have never been fully comfortable with the concept of sidewalks, I walk more in the adjacent town where I work than in the one where I live. Even on gloomy days of the "maybe I'll rain, maybe I won't" variety that we had earlier in the week, there are always a few other people out there, sometimes only a couple, but never none at all. Today, with the sun out, it was almost busy, although there were still stretches where I saw nobody, and where there were others, it was never crowded enough to prevent "distancing".

"Sharing the sidewalk", even in normal times, can lead to some friction with others. I've noticed that people walking in groups side by side seem to think that lone walkers coming the other way ought to hop out of their way, rather than putting them to the inconvenience of going single file. I insist on keeping a little bit of the sidewalk to myself, although I will step off onto the grass for mothers herding their small children or pushing strollers, and for people who are visibly frail, regardless of age. But these are not normal times, and people are conscious that our sidewalks are only perhaps a yard wide. I'd be happy to step off on the grass now myself, but often don't have to, as the person coming the other way will make a wide detour starting some twenty yards away.

There are few facemasks or gloves in evidence, although there are some. Most people will acknowledge a greeting, some give the impression of not noticing it. Some probably do not notice it, as walking, or even running, does not keep them from talking on or consulting their phones.

Having walked for an hour to maybe an hour and a half at most, I'm better able to cope with indoor pursuits for the rest of the day. That's true at any time, but usually there's no reason not to go out again later, and look for other amusements. Now there is.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; April 1st, 2020 at 01:48 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 1st, 2020), Chrissy (April 1st, 2020), Fermata (April 1st, 2020), welch (April 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Going outside despite the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    ..."Sharing the sidewalk", even in normal times, can lead to some friction with others. I've noticed that people walking in groups side by side seem to think that lone walkers coming the other way ought to hop out of their way, rather than putting them to the inconvenience of going single file....
    I submit that a 36-48 inch residential sidewalk only allows room for one person in any event, in terms of 6-foot social distancing. Someone should be getting their shoes muddy. Choosing who gets the sidewalk may depend upon social custom in Connecticut (ladies, elderly, strongest, etc.).
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 1st, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Wrocław's president (mayor) was pissed off that the first warm day brought crowds out to the wały and parks and boulevards. I walk or ride my bike for some distance everyday (except today, starting today), because the dog needs to lose weight (about 1.5kg) and because it's habit (lifelong, more or less). Even in winter, I will walk at least 5km (one of the at least three walks daily for the dog), and I was a little surprised that there were so many people out on the two warm days recently. Shouldn't have been, I suppose, after all, I was out. But, as I said, I go out even in lousy weather. Even in rain. Even in cold rain. (That's the 3km walk day. One of the three walks has to be of some greater distance than the two <500m walks.)

And because of that, the mayor asked if the people of Wrocław were insane.

Starting tomorrow, all parks and boulevards are closed. I mentioned this and some other further restrictions elsewhere.

People must keep a 2m distance from each other in public, even if you live together. Exception: Children under 12 can be within closer proximity to an adult, one adult. Minors are not allowed out without an adult (and the 13-through-18-year-olds must maintain the 2m distance from the adult). And persons with disabilities can have a companion to assist them within the 2m distance.

I don't know how this is going to be enforced. I will abide by the restrictions, of course. I am, actually, a caretaker of someone with disabilities (anxiety disorder and stage-4 cancer), so... it's a new reality. I feel like I'm in a movie that EVERYONE is in.

I hope it's a Hollywood blockbuster, cos those tend to have happy endings.

Thanks

P.S. And then it snowed.

*Laughs*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

dneal (April 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    P.S. And then it snowed.
    Yeah, but I've seen some good snow selfies in my time. Just sayin'...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (April 1st, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    ..."Sharing the sidewalk", even in normal times, can lead to some friction with others. I've noticed that people walking in groups side by side seem to think that lone walkers coming the other way ought to hop out of their way, rather than putting them to the inconvenience of going single file....
    I submit that a 36-48 inch residential sidewalk only allows room for one person in any event, in terms of 6-foot social distancing. Someone should be getting their shoes muddy. Choosing who gets the sidewalk may depend upon social custom in Connecticut (ladies, elderly, strongest, etc.).
    Yes. The point was that people seem to expect others to step off even in times without the social distancing.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    P.S. And then it snowed.
    Yeah, but I've seen some good snow selfies in my time. Just sayin'...
    *smiles*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

I see a lot of people out and about. We have no sidewalks on the island, but plenty of wide paths. Since the island is one long beach, there are lots of individuals stationed in fishing spots on the beach and on boats in the bay. There are loads of people at the grocery, at the drive throughs, and at any open business. Construction and road repair is still considered essential as are, apparently, office supplies (Staples is open). I've noticed more people on the road at 6am when I go to my work now than two weeks ago when the "Shut down" was announced.

My guess is that people are already sick of being stuck at home and are doing as they please. This seems to include children as well. I'm also guessing that this sort of stay-at-home order is not going to prove to be very "sustainanable" for very long, despite the fact there are penalties in place. Even at my lab, where we have staggered shifts so that there are never more than 2-3 techs present at once, the majority still flock together chatting and the one who is off work stops in to chat about The Virus.

Don't assume I approve of this and freak out, these are my local observations.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine