Thread: Help with identifying a pen - vintage?

Thanks

Question Help with identifying a pen - vintage?

I received it in a lot of fountain pens and it sat in a junk drawer for a while as the lid didn't fit properly, I solved this using some plumbers tape and sellotape on the inside of the lid thread, which worked a treat. I had to replace the nib and feed as they were beyond redemption but other than that everything is as it was. It is a large green flat top with a non military style clip. It has a brand on it but its not clear, could be capella.
    Id love to know the date and any other information about this if anyone recognises it or has an idea of what and when it might be.

The nib was gold plated so not at all high end.
    there is a name on the barrel but its not all that clear might read capella ( see pics)
    Any information regarding this pen would be nice as i rather like it and would like to know more. I doubt its a treasure of any sort lol, but then again my Favourite pen is a no name.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to martinjfrost For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Help with identifying a pen - vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by martinjfrost View Post
    I received it in a lot of fountain pens and it sat in a junk drawer for a while as the lid didn't fit properly, I solved this using some plumbers tape and sellotape on the inside of the lid thread, which worked a treat. I had to replace the nib and feed as they were beyond redemption but other than that everything is as it was. It is a large green flat top with a non military style clip. It has a brand on it but its not clear, could be capella.
    Id love to know the date and any other information about this if anyone recognises it or has an idea of what and when it might be.
    Regarding the bold, I'm sure there's probably a few restoration people cringing (though... bad as finding telfon tape in a pen? no clue).

Most likely a 3rd tier brand pen, possibly anywhere from the 1930s into the 1950s (I imagine that some dirt cheapies still sold lever fillers and celluloid by then). Not likely 1920s, if you wanted to narrow it down, 1940s may be the safer bet if we were to assume it's a third tier brand, at it's most common and inexpensive period.

Thanks

I don't know what it is but I have one exactly the same! I recognised the curly motif on the clip. It's a nice pen. Yes, third tier, but fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

Regarding the bold, I'm sure there's probably a few restoration people cringing (though... bad as finding telfon tape in a pen? no clue).

Most likely a 3rd tier brand pen, possibly anywhere from the 1930s into the 1950s (I imagine that some dirt cheapies still sold lever fillers and celluloid by then). Not likely 1920s, if you wanted to narrow it down, 1940s may be the safer bet if we were to assume it's a third tier brand, at it's most common and inexpensive period.
    I figured it was third tier, but it is a pretty case, and because of the clip placement and thickness im guessing its prolly a cheap 30s imitation of things like the jade flat tops of the period. As for the tape, its a cheap pen, and the cap didnt fit so un usable. So like it or not it now works and can be used. And if you look in one of the more respected repair books, this is the exact method advised to use on skyline caps where the derby has shrunk to make the apature for the thread small enough for it to screw on properly. SO there is a precedent. I have no intention of selling it but i do have a working pen thats quite pretty and fun rather than a chunk of old plastic in a box.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to martinjfrost For This Useful Post:

amk (April 3rd, 2020)