Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browsers

Thanks

Default Re: Browsers

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    You'll be a Linux aficionado, I assume. I've used dos since the 80s and Windows ever since it came along. Computers of various kinds are how I have made my living since the late 70s. I've used Macs, Linux and FreeBSD. What you are suggesting has nothing at all to do with the problem I have brought up. All this favouring of one system over another is so much hogwash and snobbishness.

In relation to what you suggested earlier, all the major browsers use such extensions as blockers and anti-trackers.
    Wow. I was just trying to be helpful. Nothing I posted suggested I was favouring one system over another, I was just noting that FF is not a native Windows app.

You posted asking for help, so I gave you a link to the Mozilla docs targetting your specific issue.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I realize that the jpg format is a lossy format, but any good editing app or suite should have controls over the amount of image compression and the quality of the image as it is saved. When you choose to weight this to 100% quality, there is very, very little compression and I would be surprised if anyone could detect differences between the original and the jpg. I save all my photos for posting in jpg format, after keeping the original. The fact is that jpg is the most universally supported image format, and has been for a long time, for display on the web.

On a side note, after never using any of the MS browsers I've recently been using Edge, and it is really quite good. I'm not doing a lot of work with it and nothing sensitive but while it may be that my Firefox is a bit weighed down by my many add-ons, the fact is that Edge is a zippier app for my browsing use.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

All this favouring of one system over another is so much hogwash and snobbishness.
    Hey, friend, I think they were just trying to help. I read the entire thread again and everyone is just popping in with suggestions, to the best of our ability.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

silverlifter (April 2nd, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Deb,

Have you tried Chromium? (its chrome with LESS google)

Personally I have a mac and an iPad and an iPhone so I use safari and it generally does what I need it to while not commoditizing my data.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I realize that the jpg format is a lossy format, but any good editing app or suite should have controls over the amount of image compression and the quality of the image as it is saved. When you choose to weight this to 100% quality, there is very, very little compression and I would be surprised if anyone could detect differences between the original and the jpg. I save all my photos for posting in jpg format, after keeping the original. The fact is that jpg is the most universally supported image format, and has been for a long time, for display on the web.

On a side note, after never using any of the MS browsers I've recently been using Edge, and it is really quite good. I'm not doing a lot of work with it and nothing sensitive but while it may be that my Firefox is a bit weighed down by my many add-ons, the fact is that Edge is a zippier app for my browsing use.
    Because of light difficulties I sometimes have to do a power of editing. If you keep to the .jpg format, the artefacts soon become rather obvious. .jpg is not the format for me.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    All this favouring of one system over another is so much hogwash and snobbishness.
    Hey, friend, I think they were just trying to help. I read the entire thread again and everyone is just popping in with suggestions, to the best of our ability.
    You didn't see all this irrelevant shenanigans: "it is difficult to dig into the internals of closed source systems, so debugging is going to be much more difficult. Two, as the guide notes, Windows uses backslashes for paths and that can prove problematic." ? Complete nonsense with regard to my difficulty.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Deb,

Have you tried Chromium? (its chrome with LESS google)

Personally I have a mac and an iPad and an iPhone so I use safari and it generally does what I need it to while not commoditizing my data.
    Yes, I would consider that one. So far so good with Edge.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

If I have really important photos I want to keep, then I shoot them as raw images, but for posting online and in emails I make a small, nicely cropped .jpg as well. Once I've made it there's no need to edit it (I can just make another) and it's fine to post in emails or onto online sites as everywhere accepts it. It posts the right way up and doesn't take an age to load.

You don't need large images for online use. 900 pixels wide is plenty, and you can always crop them first. If you hate jpegs then you could try .png or .tiff images.

If you want to post a picture on FPG you could try using the Manage Attachments box rather than bringing it here from an outside app. It's easy, straightforward, completely erasable and only goes down when FPG goes down. I have thousands of image attachments uploaded that way and all of them are .jpg's.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you, Chrissy. I do use raw images for landscape but it would be overkill for pen photos. I don't know where the issue of size came from; it isn't a problem for me. Posting to FPG isn't part of the problem either. I'm perfectly happy with Fotki. It's best for me because I post to several other places where there is no internal app.

If my difficulty were to recur with the browser I'm using now, I would change to .png - I may do that anyway.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog