Thread: 50's Omas Dama

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Default 50's Omas Dama

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 3rd, 2020), fountainpenkid (May 1st, 2020), Gulfcoast (December 28th, 2022), Ismaeldallastx (July 29th, 2023), markiv (January 9th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 5th, 2023), Yazeh (December 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: 50's Omas Dama

Last edited by fountainpenkid; May 1st, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

markiv (January 9th, 2023)

Thanks

Black faceted pens with the Greek key on the cap go back to the lever filler era. The imprint admittedly throws me off. However, the pen doesn’t have the Greek key on the section, and the section and body are one part (later they’re two threaded pieces). The piston knob is still pinned, and there is a cork piston. That clip shows up around the 50’s. The feed is the older 2 channel.

If you’ve got any information (I have some old catalogs), it would be appreciated. Everything I can find indicates it’s late 50’s era.

Thanks

Here are a few I have. An old ringtop lever filler that should be from about the 30's, a later 40's piston filler, the one in question, and a later production (late 80's early 90's-ish).

Notice the caps below the bands. The older ones have a radius and the most recent is stepped. Same for the barrel. The newer one doesn't taper. It's stepped. Lastly, compare the shape of the sections.

Omas Capped.jpeg

Omas Uncapped.jpeg

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 2nd, 2020), Ismaeldallastx (July 29th, 2023), markiv (January 9th, 2023)

Thanks

Nice quartet! I have the exact same 1940's vest pocket model...wonderful little pen!

See here: https://www.tenpen.it/article/milord-paragon
    It's interesting...if not for the radiused transition of the barrel, I would be convinced it was a later '60s or '70s model (the celluloid apparently continued with these pre-Paragon pens, as did the pin-locked piston mechanism). But the radius is interesting. Maybe by the very late '50s they had already gone back to greek key trim--the did eliminate it at the beginning of the decade in favor of the more modern single rings (see Fig. 2 of article). Hopefully an experienced collector finds this and offers some clarity.
    Will

Thanks

One thing that pushes me towards the barrel and cap of your Dama being post-1950's is the piston trim ring--the rings were thinner on the '50s pens.
    Will

Thanks

I'd like to know for sure what it is. I've seen the link you posted, and initially thought the pen was a 60's based off the barrel markings, greek key, etc... The cork piston is what screws with my head. Most European makers switch from cork in the 50's. Omas might be an exception. There just isn't a lot of information, and as the link notes:

" I finally reached the definitive conclusion that there is an information gap in the history of Omas pens, and that gap needs to be filled."

and

"Emilio Dolcini’s book, so far the most complete work on Omas pens, simply does not mention the facetted models".

I think this pen falls in the gap of missing knowledge. I think the author did a good job trying to fill it, but his work isn't comprehensive.

--edit--

One thing I forgot to mention (and can't get a clear picture of) is about the imprint. It's the double line which supposedly indicates celluloid.
    Last edited by dneal; May 2nd, 2020 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

So Gulfcoast's clogged Omas thread (once he attached the picture of that really nice old pen) got me to wondering about this pen again.

It so happens that Letizia posted an update on the celluloid/resin question this October. Apparently she gets that question a lot.

I'll revise my estimate on this pen to the mid to late 60's (or even 70's, as suggested). The double channel feed makes sense with the super flexible extra lucens nib, and the markings would indicate 60's; but the cork piston throws me. If they rejected the idea of injection molding (and advertised the hand-finished celluloid), perhaps the same thinking applied with piston material.

At any rate, it's definitely celluloid and not resin.

and @724Seney - yes, the extra lucens nibs are some of the best ever made.
    Last edited by dneal; December 27th, 2022 at 08:58 PM.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Gulfcoast (December 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Black faceted pens with the Greek key on the cap go back to the lever filler era. The imprint admittedly throws me off. However, the pen doesn’t have the Greek key on the section, and the section and body are one part (later they’re two threaded pieces). The piston knob is still pinned, and there is a cork piston. That clip shows up around the 50’s. The feed is the older 2 channel.

If you’ve got any information (I have some old catalogs), it would be appreciated. Everything I can find indicates it’s late 50’s era.
    Hvala za vaše nasvete glede tega, kako zaslužiti denar na igralnem servisu GraalOnline. Zdelo se mi je, da so pizzarija, zbiranje odpadkov, gob in žogic ter kopanje med najboljšimi možnostmi za zaslužek. Upoštevali boste lahko tudi druge dejavnosti, kot so lovljenje rib, nabiranje grozdja, vožnja z avtomobilom in pošiljanje pošte, vendar se zdi, da zaradi nekaterih okoliščin niso tako učinkoviti.

Za pizzarijo se boste morali odpraviti na eno od več lokacij podjetja Speedy Pizzas in kupiti leseno palico za 40 $, da se lahko začnete ukvarjati s tem. Po navedbah lahko s pizzarijo zaslužite do 20.000 graalatov na dan, odvisno od različnih okoliščin pa lahko zaslužite približno 3.000 $ na uro. Prav tako je pomembno omeniti, da lesene palice ni treba kupovati na trgovinah za menjavo, saj so precej dragocene. Vsaka lesena palica prinese okoli 150-200 $, cena pa je 40 $.

Zbiranje odpadkov, gob in žogic je lahko tudi dober način zaslužka, zato boste morda želeli priti do brezplačnega grbinčka in kupiti cenovno ugoden nož za gobice. Trenutno lahko zaslužite tudi žogice in vrečke z žogicami, ki dajejo žogice. Zlatokopne žogice stanejo 100 $ vsaka, zato jih je treba posebej paziti. Žogice lahko prodajate na parkirišču zdravstvenega centra Mercy East.

https://eldfall-chronicles.com/produ...th-elementals/

Kopanje je po navedbah manj priporočljiva in učinkovita dejavnost za zaslužek, saj se večina ljudi kopa, da bi dobila trohus, vendar če imate lopate, je vredno poskusiti. Lopate lahko prodajate in jih kupujete na plaži
    https://erasmus-home.com/en/rent-apartment/ljubljana/

Jaka Basej (Jaka Basej)
    It sounds like you have a vintage pen that was made sometime in the mid 20th century. The fact that the section and body are one part, the piston knob is pinned, and it has a cork piston suggest that it is an older model. The black faceted design and Greek key on the cap give it a classic and elegant appearance. The clip, which appears to be from the 1950s, adds a modern touch. Overall, it seems like a well-crafted and unique writing instrument.
    Last edited by WaltZucher; January 9th, 2023 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks

Lovely writers

Thanks

OMAS was known for crafting exquisite and high-quality writing instruments. The Dama model might refer to a specific collection or design of OMAS pens from the 1950s, given your mention of "50's Omas Dama."