Thread: Help Identifying this ever sharp - Made In England.

Thanks

Question Help Identifying this ever sharp - Made In England.

Hi there
    I have a bit of a weak spot where ever sharps are concerned, and saw and bought the pen below in ebay as I was curious - couldn't work out what it was. Still cant, so any help would be great.
    It clearly has both an ever sharp barrel imprint and clip logo. Both correct. The barrel imprint says made in England under the name. No gold seal so post 1941? and no warranty marks.
    The cap has a filigree band on it like the higher end doric etc - clearly not that. All of the plate is intact with no brassing or wear - as it still has the shop tag on it im guessing not used much.
    Semi hooded nib. As the pen is working fine i have not taken it apart ( if its not broke dont fix it ) so cant say what exactly the nib is but looks like gold, has some flex - prolly would have more without the hood.
    It looks a lot like a 1950s Wyvern to me, except that its fatter and some how more cigar shaped. Writes nicely - tho its no skyline.
    Thats all i can really say. Please feel free to paruse the attached pics.
    I know that Ever sharp did produce some pens for the UK market, either here or assembled and imported from Canada. I assume this is one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martinjfrost For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 17th, 2020), Marsilius (April 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Help Identifying this ever sharp - Made In England.

No clue what Eversharp that is but... Gorgeous pen. Also I like the ink. Which one is it? Finally, I admire your handwriting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    No clue what Eversharp that is but... Gorgeous pen. Also I like the ink. Which one is it? Finally, I admire your handwriting.
    Thanks, The ink in the pic is not in this pen it was just what was on my desk.... the ink is either Diamone oxblood or Diamine Burgundy rose and was in a parker 51 desk pen.
    And thanks about the hand writing.... i hate my hand writing, im left handed so envy the rest of the world that dont need to do weird yoga positions when using a fountain pen. lol

Thanks

The history of European made Eversharp pens is not well documented.

In the early 1940s Eversharp England had introduced the Kingswood, a fountain pen that resembled flat top Valentine pens of that period. Stephen Hull has an entry on English Eversharp pens in his book "The English fountain pen Industry 1875-1975" and he mentions that Eversharp England introduced a hooded nib lever filling pen in 1949. This is probably the pen that you have.

Design wise, your pen has no connection with USA-made Eversharp pens. This may suggest that these hooded nib pens were designed in England.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    The history of European made Eversharp pens is not well documented.

In the early 1940s Eversharp England had introduced the Kingswood, a fountain pen that resembled flat top Valentine pens of that period. Stephen Hull has an entry on English Eversharp pens in his book "The English fountain pen Industry 1875-1975" and he mentions that Eversharp England introduced a hooded nib lever filling pen in 1949. This is probably the pen that you have.

Design wise, your pen has no connection with USA-made Eversharp pens. This may suggest that these hooded nib pens were designed in England.
    Im inclined to agree - as i said it feels a lot like a wyvern i have of similar age. Its a lot more chunky in the hand though. Very different to the 5th Avenue which is a very odd pen, I wonder if this was their reaction to a slightly more conservative market in England as it feels and looks very familiar. (If that makes sense). Some one has clearly never used this pen, I have not opened it up as it works, so it might have been re sacked at some point but there was absolutly no ink residue in it when i received it and no sign of any restoration.