Thread: Vintage Italian Pen Series by AltecGreen [Pic Heavy!]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Default Vintage Italian Pen Series by AltecGreen [Pic Heavy!]

[Ed. Discussion of this thread can be had in the original topic found here. Updated through post #136]

DanDeM said I should show off my vintage Italian pens. So I'm starting this series of posts where I will go through my collection and talk about some of my pens.

So we kick things off with the pen that started me on the path of vintage Italian pens and vintage pens in general. I had fallen in love with the beauty of celluloid and had already acquired a number of modern Italian pens. One day I was browsing eBay and saw a pen for sale with a BIN. It was a vintage NOS Columbus 92 in a beautiful blue arco celluloid. I had not heard of Columbus and did some research. Columbus was one of the big 4-5 Italian companies and started around 1919. The company was known for high quality and beautiful celluloid. They were a big force until the early 1950's when they made the decision to go low end to survive. The company is still around but focuses on lower end pens.

The pen itself was flawless. The celluloid was incredible and blew away any of the modern celluloid pens. The pen came with a true vintage flexible nib. I never turned back. I slowly phased out my interest in modern pens (except Nakaya) and switched to vintage pens.

So here is the Columbus 92. The pen is from the late 1940's/early 1950's (before 1952) and is a piston filler. The pen itself is a vintage medium sized pen thus somewhat slim by modern standards.

Highlighting the arco pattern. This pen is a pain to photograph. The celluloid is a deep rich blue with the veins of iridescent light blue.

more of the pattern

The true color is closer to this

Here is the nib
    Last edited by dannzeman; June 24th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

coffe_cup (May 16th, 2015), Haefennasiel (May 11th, 2015), vikramguliya (June 24th, 2014)