Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a break

Thanks

Default Re: Taking a break

Sure. Some of the things posted here and on other threads reminded me of it. My statement was not aimed at anyone in particular. Situational awareness is a very useful skill.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sure. Some of the things posted here and on other threads reminded me of it. My statement was not aimed at anyone in particular. Situational awareness is a very useful skill.
    Dave,

Based on your previous post in this thread, I think we may have leaned/witnessed the "length of service vs quality of service" (service being the key word in that sentence) in similar ways.

Unless of course by "less charted points of the planet" you meant you joined the peace corps, or took a year to "find yourself"

:P

Thanks

Not exactly, at least not in the way that you probably mean.

No, all peace corps volunteers have been recalled. I am still "out there", for want of an expression.

and no. Who has time to take a year to "find themselves"?

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Not exactly, at least not in the way that you probably mean.

No, all peace corps volunteers have been recalled. I am still "out there", for want of an expression.

and no. Who has time to take a year to "find themselves"?
    ok.

Apparently people who are "lost"

Stay safe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    It seems impossible to avoid acrimony here now. I've enjoyed my time here in the past but I no longer enjoy it so I'm done.

Deb, don't let one entitled person who in "nearly 70 years" has not learned how to be nice to other people and who just joined LESS THAN A MONTH AGO push you away from a community you have been part of for 7 years. In all likelihood, he will leave this board sooner rather than later. In the meantime, there's the ignore user function. It works nicely.
    "Entitled" my ass. I came here trying to learn about pens. You make a judgement with out the least bit of knowledge of me. I took umbrage with being directly told I was wrong. My attempt at helping someone is directly pointed out and flagged as wrong. I'm extremely criticized for responding to an old thread and pointing out that critique wasn't needed. Well excuse me for having feelings. If I offended Deb, I'm sorry. On the other hand, I didn't point out her comment and tell her she was wrong. Great way to encourage participation. She asked for an example of how she criticized me and I provided one. If she leaves because I spoke frankly, that is her decision, not mine. If all it takes is one person being offended and speaking up, to make someone leave this forum, I have to wonder how attached they are to it.

Thanks

I have seen many very helpful contributions from Deb over many years, the quality of her technical knowledge and expertise as a repair person is at the highest level, when people need advice and assistance she is quick to respond, the best of the best. A highly valued FPG member.

You are wrong to suggest that Deb may not be attached to FPG.

You are a new person to FPG, I see from Introductions that new members are made welcome, rather like new employees in a company it is better that you understand how the company operates and refrain from being angry - now and forever - unless you really do not want to be part of this community which seeks to teach and learn.

It is your call, there are at least two other people who have set out their stall to be obnoxious and sarcastic at every opportunity, be one of those if you really want, it is not compulsory.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny_S For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I have seen many very helpful contributions from Deb over many years, the quality of her technical knowledge and expertise as a repair person is at the highest level, when people need advice and assistance she is quick to respond, the best of the best. A highly valued FPG member.

You are a new person to FPG, I see from Introductions that new members are made welcome, rather like new employees in a company it is better that you understand how the company operates and refrain from being angry - now and forever - unless you really do not want to be part of this community which seeks to teach and learn.

It is your call, there are at least two other people who have set out their stall to be obnoxious and sarcastic at every opportunity, be one of those if you really want, it is not compulsory.
    If that was my intent would I be having this conversation? I've been neither obnoxious nor sarcastic as far as I can tell. It's hard for me to look at coming here and complaining about me, threatening to leave as other than a tactic to rally the troops to make me feel unwelcome. Knowledgeable or not that is how it comes off to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post

If that was my intent would I be having this conversation? I've been neither obnoxious nor sarcastic as far as I can tell. It's hard for me to look at coming here and complaining about me, threatening to leave as other than a tactic to rally the troops to make me feel unwelcome. Knowledgeable or not that is how it comes off to me.
    You said you were 70 years old on another thread. When you were told you were using poor language choices, you pushed back that you hadn't. Now you're blaming others for making you feel unwelcome. Are you unable to understand that the way you act will determine your experiences here? In 70 years one should have come to know how to get along with others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

For what it's worth... I was replying to that thread under discussion when it was deleted.

Hogwldfltr, a new member, had come across an old thread that apparently was spam, but he made some innocuous comment (something like "reading is a great way to improve your vocabulary"). This was just after the Lord of the Flies incident (how I remember it) of bullying Empty_of_Clouds off fpg. (I don't understand how an ignore function is necessary when there is a perfectly useful one in one's brain, but there you go and here we are.)

Chrissy remarked that it was strange (or some such) that a newcomer should unearth an old thread that should have been deleted as spam long ago. For a new member, it could sound critical and unwelcoming, with a hint of accusation. OR... just an idle remark if you were familiar with the denizens of this place. Which a new member would not be.

Hogwldfltr responded with some, let's say, surprise with a dash of mild affront -- until the usual defensive team rushed in to shut him up. (It might have been only Deb. I don't remember.)

It just spiralled out of control so quickly. I'm attributing the hair-trigger backbiting to this... global stress we are all under. But we are all (all of us!) under it. So my tendency is to step back, not respond immediately. (Actually, years of Internet use taught me that.) And to give others, especially newcomers, the benefit of a doubt.

Meanwhile, those of you who are so quick to "school" others on how to get along here, put yourself in the other person's shoes. Would you listen to you?

Also, why all this mania to control other people's tones and opinions? Is it so hard to have a conversation without the undertone of bullying? Sheesh.

As I like to say, viva the goddamn difference!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 19th, 2020), dneal (April 19th, 2020), hogwldfltr (April 19th, 2020), mhosea (April 19th, 2020), migo984 (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

If you want to have friends, be friendly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Is that your motivation for being here, Chuck Naill? To have friends?

If so, are you being friendly?

P.S. No skin off my nose how anyone wants to behave in this sandbox. I'm giving my impression of what I observed, since there seems to be this jump to pile up on individuals. A little self-awareness about "friendliness" might hit the spot.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (April 20th, 2020), dneal (April 19th, 2020), mhosea (April 19th, 2020), migo984 (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post

You said you were 70 years old on another thread. When you were told you were using poor language choices, you pushed back that you hadn't. Now you're blaming others for making you feel unwelcome. Are you unable to understand that the way you act will determine your experiences here? In 70 years one should have come to know how to get along with others.
    Near 70, I do and I know who I am. This isn't the only forum I'm active in. I know how I'm accepted in others. This is unique. Using a Bic Crystal as an argument that convenience of a fountain pen isn't an advancement to me indicates poor judgement. My calling it a sophomoric argument is an accurate description imho. On the other hand, you branded me as a curmudgeon in that argument and continue to attack me; my suggestion is to take a good look in a mirror. Ignore may be the best decision.

Frankly, driving into the worst area of the state for the Covid-19 pandemic on a daily basis to continue manufacturing of equipment which enables things we take for granted (like this forum) to exist it makes me realize how little something like this matters. Continue attacking me if you must. The reason I didn't respond in the other thread was because I'm tired from the stress and I need rest not discord.

Thanks

People need to calm down.

You haven't done yourself any favors by using phrases like DILLIGAF, some people would think that this a sign of being obnoxious, and really, at 70 years old, do you really want to be using such expressions? You say what you want pal, it is up to you.

You have arrived on this forum at a time when there are others who have been real bastards in the way that they have conducted themselves, there have been flare ups over the years but we have reached a new low in the morale of FPG to the point that there are a number of long standing and excellent members who have taken the view that they do not want to see the arguments and confrontations that we have posted over the past month.

There are plenty of people who see FPG as a refuge, a place to get away from the stress that is blighting our lives at present, they do not want to read posts from people who confront, ridicule and demean others, in addition to using C and F swear words and see that as acceptable communication.

The timing of of your arrival is not your fault of course, new people are welcome but take heed of the good advice above on how to make yourself at home.
    Last edited by Fermata; April 19th, 2020 at 07:38 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Y'know I fully expected the world to exhibit uncharacteristic, not to say downright nutty behaviour during these restrictions, but in my innocence thought most people would at least have the sense not to do it in public.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

dneal (April 19th, 2020), Dreck (April 19th, 2020), mhosea (April 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

You haven't done yourself any favors by using phrases like DILLIGAF, some people would think that this a sign of being obnoxious, and really, at 70 years old, do you really want to be using such expressions? You say what you want pal, it is up to you.

You have arrived on this forum at a time when there are others who have been real bastards in the way that they have conducted themselves, there have been flare ups over the years but we have reached a new low in the morale of FPG to the point that there are a number of long standing and excellent members who have taken the view that they do not want to see the arguments and confrontations that we have posted over the past month.

There are plenty of people who see FPG as a refuge, a place to get away from the stress that is blighting our lives at present, they do not want to read posts from people who confront, ridicule and demean others, in addition to using C and F swear words and see that as acceptable communication.

The timing of of your arrival is not your fault of course, new people are welcome but take heed of the good advice above on how to make yourself at home.
    Thanks. Just to add a bit more; that was a poor choice on my part. I'm sorry about that. Thank you for reminding me of it. I don't believe there are more examples then that one use. Again, a poor choice on my part.
    Last edited by hogwldfltr; April 19th, 2020 at 09:09 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hogwldfltr For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

Don't forget the P word.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Is that your motivation for being here, Chuck Naill? To have friends?

If so, are you being friendly?

P.S. No skin off my nose how anyone wants to behave in this sandbox. I'm giving my impression of what I observed, since there seems to be this jump to pile up on individuals. A little self-awareness about "friendliness" might hit the spot.

Yes, apparently so. No one is leaving because of a post I made. I am able discuss and learn which is my motivation in being here. I've had nothing but positive experiences here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

My impression is that this forum has gone batty in the last month versus the year or two prior.

I've seen some heated exchanges before but I've never seen the kind of excessively nasty vitriol that's polluted the place in recent weeks.

I know I'm stressed with the pandemic and crabby as hell from being couped up. My fuse is short, I'm irritable. I doubt I am alone. I'm sure that's behind at least some of the hostilities.

Usually the place is pretty friendly (in the pen threads anyway) but the forum and it's people aren't at our best right now. Not making excuses just observations.

It's not like we've got a ton of members. It's a pretty small "family" so losing 3 or 4 people is actually a pretty big deal for the tone and content of the forum.

Anyway I will try to continue to use the place as an escape from darker reality rather than a outlet (or dumping ground) for my negative feelings.

Stay safe and healthy.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 19th, 2020), carlos.q (April 19th, 2020), Chrissy (April 19th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 19th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 19th, 2020), Johnny_S (April 19th, 2020), Pterodactylus (April 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    My impression is that this forum has gone batty in the last month versus the year or two prior.

I've seen some heated exchanges before but I've never seen the kind of excessively nasty vitriol that's polluted the place in recent weeks.

I know I'm stressed with the pandemic and crabby as hell from being couped up. My fuse is short, I'm irritable. I doubt I am alone. I'm sure that's behind at least some of the hostilities.

Usually the place is pretty friendly (in the pen threads anyway) but the forum and it's people aren't at our best right now. Not making excuses just observations.

It's not like we've got a ton of members. It's a pretty small "family" so losing 3 or 4 people is actually a pretty big deal for the tone and content of the forum.

Anyway I will try to continue to use the place as an escape from darker reality rather than a outlet (or dumping ground) for my negative feelings.

Stay safe and healthy.
    I think that this post sums it up pretty well, it is a pretty sad state of affairs to come to FPG with the idea that you are prepared to have an argument.

Maybe, just maybe, we can get back to some semblance of normality, and if that means avoiding Off Topic Talks for the time being then ok, forgive, forget, and move on. Just leave the Lounge and Society alone, it looks like this is where all the animosity is coming from.

If thats ok by you then click thanks, please guys.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny_S For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 19th, 2020), carlos.q (April 19th, 2020), Chrissy (April 19th, 2020), countrydirt (April 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    For what it's worth... As I like to say, viva the goddamn difference!

I'll give an Amen to that, sister. FWIW, I've hopefully corrected my miscommunication with Deb through the back channel. She's good with me now.
    Last edited by hogwldfltr; April 19th, 2020 at 12:11 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hogwldfltr For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 19th, 2020)