Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a break

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Taking a break

In order to save me sending or replying to PM's I just want to say that I'm taking a break away from FPG for a while.

It's coming to something when someone who I considered as a friend left me negative reputation for a completely innocuous comment that I made, just because it didn't agree with his view of the coronavirus epidemic. He also did the same thing to another friend of mine. It hit me hard because I really value all of my friends. I hope that you all stay well.

Obviously everyone is hyped up and is probably suffering from cabin fever at the moment, so posting on here is no longer a pleasant experience.

I have a couple of ink reviews that are almost complete and I'll continue to add them into the Ink Review forum when they are ready, and I will keep up with updating the Ink Review Index.

I will probably be in the background reading but I won't be responding to threads or posts. I will hopefully still be alive because I'm not going out, so please don't think I've shuffled off this mortal coil.

Chris
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

724Seney (April 8th, 2020), aurore (April 22nd, 2020), AzJon (April 8th, 2020), catbert (April 8th, 2020), Chemyst (April 10th, 2020), ChrisJ (April 10th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), Dreck (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), Marsilius (April 8th, 2020), pajaro (May 1st, 2020), Robert (April 8th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020), TSherbs (April 8th, 2020), VertOlive (April 8th, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (April 8th, 2020), Wile E Coyote (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    In order to save me sending or replying to PM's I just want to say that I'm taking a break away from FPG for a while.

It's coming to something when someone who I considered as a friend left me negative reputation for a completely innocuous comment that I made, just because it didn't agree with his view of the coronavirus epidemic. He also did the same thing to another friend of mine. It hit me hard because I really value all of my friends. I hope that you all stay well.

Obviously everyone is hyped up and is probably suffering from cabin fever at the moment, so posting on here is no longer a pleasant experience.

I have a couple of ink reviews that are almost complete and I'll continue to add them into the Ink Review forum when they are ready, and I will keep up with updating the Ink Review Index.

I will probably be in the background reading but I won't be responding to threads or posts. I will hopefully still be alive because I'm not going out, so please don't think I've shuffled off this mortal coil.

Chris
    I've always appreciated your posts and the information provided. I've intentionally stayed away from COVID19 threads. I've been a member of dozens of forums since the mid 2000's. Events like the pandemic will produce a lot of drama with folks posting something they heard. Rarely is the information vetted or evidenced based.

Reading a study from JAMA yesterday, the authors noted a collaboration between them and their Chinese counterpart in Hunan at the university there. I was reminded again that while all the drama is proliferating, the people who know what the hell is going on are quietly working together to figure out a solution. They are doing their work in an objective, peer reviewed, evidenced based environment.

Rather than leave, I would suggest just staying away from those threads.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 8th, 2020), carlos.q (April 8th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), dneal (April 8th, 2020), Fermata (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), Linger (April 13th, 2020), penwash (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I'm sorry it has come to this, Chrissy. If it makes it easier for you to stop posting for the time being that's good but I will miss your helpful and friendly posts. I have chosen not to participate in certain threads for the same reason.

I think some people have made hasty and ill-considered decisions in their treatment of others. I know I have. We're all suffering from the stress, worry and fear from the present crisis. I will try to think of that before I make the mouse-click that sends a comment.

This is a time when we should support each other rather than take actions that will cause lasting hurt and disagreement. Many of us have been colleagues - even friends - in our pursuit of this hobby for years. I hope that will still be the case after this is over. We may be experts in some aspect of fountain pens. Few if any of us are experts in anything else

Haste ye back, Chrissy. I'm always available back-channel.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 8th, 2020), Chuck Naill (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 8th, 2020), penwash (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

As a top contributer to this site and someone that has provided an outstanding resource for others asking for help and assitance it is shameful that any other member can think it is appropriate to be abusive based on a difference of opinion. It is only a matter of days that you and others rallied to the defence of that member when attacked by dneal, some people have very short memories.

We look forward to the time when you feel that it is time to take an active part in the proceedings.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (April 8th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020), TSherbs (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Sorry, Chrissy. But I get it. I have taken a break from this place for the same reasons in the past. Breaks are rejuvenating, often. Blessings.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 8th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Chrissy,
    You seem to be a kind and thoughtful person. Your worth is not defined by a "negative reputation," whatever that may be.
    Enjoy your time away and come back refreshed, confident in the value of your contributions here.
    gary

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 8th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), dneal (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Friends, reputation (positive or negative), likes, etc. are all digital blather. Don't even look! None of it is worth getting steamed over.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 8th, 2020), Dreck (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020), welch (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Chris
    Chrissy-

You are one of this Forum's wisest and most well spoken members / contributors.
    Your "departure" is proof positive that the "inmates have taken over the asylum." The few vulgar, disrespectful, mean spirited morons should not have the power to hijack this place, as they have done.
    I don't think its cabin fever, I think they have tested the system to see if at any point an administrator would step in and either reprimand or ban them. Sadly, none have done so and now these scumbag sociopaths think they own the place.

I have simply chosen to ignore them. Not in the manner of adjusting my FPG settings or anything like that.....simply by not looking at anything with their name on it.
    There are only a couple; it's not that difficult.

On the other hand, your posts?? I read them all!!
    Please reconsider!!

And, above all else, stay strong and well!!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 8th, 2020), Fermata (April 8th, 2020), FredRydr (April 8th, 2020), TSherbs (April 8th, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Good health and blessings Chrissy.
    See you when you return, shoot me an email if you ever feel like it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Chrissy, I know what you mean. It is really important to keep ourselves well, mentally, as well as physically. Sometimes we have to step away from negative things. Either news, or forums, or Reddit or whatever else.

I started following the virus sort of obsessively early on over on Reddit and reached saturation a couple weeks ago so I've been avoiding the threads on here... like the plague (ugh, too soon?).

Hang in there and stay strong and healthy!

By the way your reputation is sterling in my view.
    Last edited by azkid; April 8th, 2020 at 07:52 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 8th, 2020), TSherbs (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Chrissy, I am sure that you agree with me that one of the value of this forum is the camaraderie among people who love fountain pens.

I have also noticed some snarkiness and uncalled-for posts and comments that are neither funny nor insightful -- and by this I don't include the blatant bickering in some threads that I just stay away from.

The "Lounge" subforum and the topics that are obviously sensitive to our situation at the moment are no longer in my radar, I don't even consider them to exist. I'll just stick to what I know about and what I enjoy: Fountain pens (and inks too).

Also, I always believe in the power of contributing positively to drown the negative impact of those who should know better but chose not to do the right thing, or they actually didn't know what's good and what's not.

You are one of the members who is consistently and deliberately kind and positive in all your interactions here. With you going into the background, that means less positive contributions, and I can't imagine that can be good especially in this weird situation we find ourselves in.

But, if you chose (not a decision you made lightly as you said) to take a break from FPG, then I'll just wait for your return

EDIT: I forgot to add. A "reputation" system where there are no clear boundaries and rules enforced by people who have sufficient authority, is not a system at all. It's best to just ignore it.
    Last edited by penwash; April 8th, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 8th, 2020), azkid (April 8th, 2020), carlos.q (April 8th, 2020), Deb (April 8th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 8th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 8th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 8th, 2020), sgphoto (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Chrissy, I know what you mean. It is really important to keep ourselves well, mentally, as well as physically. Sometimes we have to step away from negative things. Either news, or forums, or Reddit or whatever else.

I started following the virus sort of obsessively early on over on Reddit and reached saturation a couple weeks ago so I've been avoiding the threads on here... like the plague (ugh, too soon?).

Hang in there and stay strong and healthy!

By the way, your reputation with me (and anyone else who has been here more than a day) is stellar. I don't need some stupid forum programming to tell me that.
    I don't even watch the news anymore. Same focus, hours a day. Actually, our lives have to be lived in other ways. Mine, anyway.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 8th, 2020), azkid (April 8th, 2020), penwash (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

Chris
    Thank you for letting us know. I would have been worried otherwise.

Stay healthy and come back soon!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

There’s a very relevant episode of _Black Mirror_... it was called _Nosedive_, 21Oct2016

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    There’s a very relevant episode of _Black Mirror_... it was called _Nosedive_, 21Oct2016
    I can only speak for myself but I would suggest that the issue may be less to do with scoring, as described in Black Mirror, and more to do with the insulting comments and the intention of causing distress all for the sake of having an independant point of view.

Nobody wants unfounded insults. It would have been better to have taken it off forum and calmly discussed any difference of opinion by PM, a negative feedback with an insult attached doesnt help anyone, just the opposite.
    Last edited by Fermata; April 8th, 2020 at 11:46 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 8th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    As a top contributer to this site and someone that has provided an outstanding resource for others asking for help and assitance it is shameful that any other member can think it is appropriate to be abusive based on a difference of opinion. It is only a matter of days that you and others rallied to the defence of that member when attacked by dneal, some people have very short memories.

We look forward to the time when you feel that it is time to take an active part in the proceedings.
    Since Chrissy and I have already corresponded privately, I won't feel so bad in this slight hijack.

You felt it necessary to call me out (which is interesting from a psychological perspective), but you completely missed the irony that the person whose defense was rushed to is precisely the person who prompted this thread. Perhaps I have seen the negative side of the person previously, and you had not.

Your defense

Thanks

I have no idea what the reputation system is. I read on mobile Aka tapatalk where I don't see any reputation score.

Your posts will be missed.
    wasting time on tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

I also received a “Negative Reputation” hit. Whatever.

Chrissy, take care and see you soon we hope.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I also received a “Negative Reputation” hit. Whatever.

Chrissy, take care and see you soon we hope.
    I don't really pay attention to the reputation thing, but I added to you and Chrissy. I would encourage others to as well (mainly because I'm curious how high it can get); and because you two are some of the best people here.

Folks - click the little sheriff star below one of their posts and leave a nice comment. Ideally you do it on a post you think deserves more than a "thanks", I suppose; but that's most of them when it comes to these two.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 9th, 2020), Chrissy (April 18th, 2020), VertOlive (April 13th, 2020)

Thanks

There's no reputation function on Tapatalk.

I'm glad.