Thanks

Default Any WISs Here? WRUW Today?

Wearing a two tone Daytona...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hogwldfltr For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: Any WISs Here? WRUW Today?

Why yes. For something a little different this is day two with my good ol' nickel - plated Hamilton 912 — 17J adjusted, size 12S, from 1925.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Very cool! What do WIS, WRUW and "adjusted" mean? I'm not a watch guy, though I've been to NAWCC in Columbia, PA USA.

Here's my Omega. I've posted this image before in the pen & watch thread.

Last edited by FredRydr; April 8th, 2020 at 07:50 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Gorgeous Omega!

WRUW — what are you wearing?

WIS — Watch Idiot Savant. Equivalent of FP geek I guess.

Adjusted — refers to the process of improving the precision of a movement's timekeeping.

To do this, the watch maker can ensure that the watch runs at the same rate when in different positions (crown up, dial up, dial down, etc) and at different temperatures (sitting on the bedside table versus warm in one's pocket, say).

The best watches, ones meeting strict accuracy standards for railroad use, would typically be adjusted in 6 positions and for temperature and the movements would be stamped as such.

I have seen different stamps (adjusted, adjusted to temp and positions, adjusted to 5 positions, etc). I'm not positive but I think if the positions aren't mentioned it is because maybe they adjusted to only a few positions.

Prior to the invention of electronic devices that could listen for ticks and tocks and accurately measure the rate of a watch in near real time, the process of adjusting took a lot longer.

Now with Timegraphers, the watchmaker can get feedback within seconds and the adjustment process takes minutes or hours.
    Last edited by azkid; April 8th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Okay, thanks. I'm reminded why I haven't gone down the watch collecting road. Months? My Ball watch has had that kind of adjustment, with cleaning and oiling, three times since I bought it in 2008, but never thought about stamps. And now I understand why they had it for four months. Are the stamps on the inside of the case, or on some accompanying paperwork? (I posted a photo of the Ball in the pen & watch thread, too.)
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 8th, 2020 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks

I’m not a WIS because i find watches kind of boring. Unless you’re going to get into repairing them — and i’m not — there’s not a whole lot to do with watches other than look at them. But then most watches are ugly as hell, especially the ones watch guys tend to like.

I do like this one, a Grand Seiko from 1968:

https://imgur.com/a/muEPaUl

It’s what i wear for nights out and the opera and such, but these are extraordinary times, so i’m wearing it today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Gorgeous Omega!

WRUW — what are you wearing?

WIS — Watch Idiot Savant. Equivalent of FP geek I guess.

Adjusted — refers to the process of improving the precision of a movement's timekeeping.

To do this, the watch maker can ensure that the watch runs at the same rate when in different positions (crown up, dial up, dial down, etc) and at different temperatures (sitting on the bedside table versus warm in one's pocket, say).

The best watches, ones meeting strict accuracy standards for railroad use, would typically be adjusted in 6 positions and for temperature and the movements would be stamped as such.

I have seen different stamps (adjusted, adjusted to temp and positions, adjusted to 5 positions, etc). I'm not positive but I think if the positions aren't mentioned it is because maybe they adjusted to only a few positions.

Prior to the invention of electronic devices that could listen for ticks and tocks and accurately measure the rate of a watch in near real time, the process of adjusting required measuring by letting the watch run in a particular position and comparing with a more accurate clock. So adjusting in 6 positions could take months.

Now with Timegraphers, the watchmaker can get feedback within seconds and the adjustment process takes minutes or hours.
    Watch Idiot Savant- also someone who can stare at their watch, totally immersed in its detail but have no idea what time it is.

Why yes. For something a little different this is day two with my good ol' nickel - plated Hamilton 912 — 17J adjusted, size 12S, from 1925.

I have my father's old pocket watch which I tried using but it just didn't last very long between windings not was it very accurate. Using it once or twice cured me of its use.

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I’m not a WIS because i find watches kind of boring. Unless you’re going to get into repairing them — and i’m not — there’s not a whole lot to do with watches other than look at them. But then most watches are ugly as hell, especially the ones watch guys tend to like.

I do like this one, a Grand Seiko from 1968:

https://imgur.com/a/muEPaUl

It’s what i wear for nights out and the opera and such, but these are extraordinary times, so i’m wearing it today.
    Grand Seiko is a great watch; one I've never owned however. Maybe some day. Have you had it all that time?
    Last edited by hogwldfltr; April 8th, 2020 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

I love those Hamiltons - here is mine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rocl For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 8th, 2020)

Thanks

hogwldfltr — I am not that old! I’ve had it for a few years only.

Thanks

Oops, sorry!!! Nice watch regardless!!! That begs the question of how you ended up with it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    Oops, sorry!!! Nice watch regardless!!! That begs the question of how you ended up with it?
    I was around in 1968 in Tokyo, but i wasn’t ready for fancy watches.

How i came to this watch is a rather boring story. My father wore a Swiss watch, so i didn’t get it from him or any relatives. I merely bought it used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Okay, thanks. I'm reminded why I haven't gone down the watch collecting road. Months? My Ball watch has had that kind of adjustment, with cleaning and oiling, three times since I bought it in 2008, but never thought about stamps. And now I understand why they had it for four months. Are the stamps on the inside of the case, or on some accompanying paperwork? (I posted a photo of the Ball in the pen & watch thread, too.)
    I may have been unclear, sorry. In modern electronic times, a watchmaker can adjust a watch in a very short time because of electronic devices.

The marking I am talking about is engraved into the movement on the back side along with the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, the number of jewels and the grade (aka model aka caliber).

The adjustment marking indicates the watch was adjusted by/at the factory prior to being sold. Maybe I am wrong about how they did it. But it was definitely harder in the old days than it is now.

Thanks

I have my father's old pocket watch which I tried using but it just didn't last very long between windings not was it very accurate. Using it once or twice cured me of its use.
    Sounds like it is in desperate need of servicing. Not cheap to do though.

Thanks

Default Any WISs Here? WRUW Today?

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I may have been unclear, sorry. In modern electronic times, a watchmaker can adjust a watch in a very short time because of electronic devices.

The marking I am talking about is engraved into the movement on the back side along with the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, the number of jewels and the grade (aka model aka caliber).

The adjustment marking indicates the watch was adjusted by/at the factory prior to being sold. Maybe I am wrong about how they did it. But it was definitely harder in the old days than it is now.
    All Rolex are sold these days with guarantee to +/-2sec/day. That is an amazing spec for a mechanical watch. I have one that is a Daytona that is good to about 1.5sec/month which is amazing. The only time it needs to be reset is at changes for daylight savings time.

Sounds like it is in desperate need of servicing. Not cheap to do though.
    Yes I've thought of it but really don't need the watch working. It an elderly Tiffany gold pocket watch with much patina on the dial If I were going to have it worked on I'd like to have it restored as well. Naa, just leave it in the drawer.

Wearing the same as yesterday.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; April 9th, 2020 at 08:22 AM.