Thread: Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Red face Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

[Ed. Original thread can be found here. Updated through post #97]

I got a tip this week for a place to find a box that would work to store pens... Harbor Freight Tools.

So I stopped and found a huge wooden tool chest (frankly the drawers are too shallow for tools and the felt lined wood wouldn't hold up, but whatever). HUGE compared to my poor cigar boxes, which I've far outgrown. Cost $75 with tax. I plan to eventually sand it down and refinish and swap out the rather ugly hardware but the whole thing is great.

Two big drawers that hold pen trays (I used the premade cut to fit kind) for 25 pens each. Plus 6 smaller trays that can hold pens, OR extra nibs, rehab supplies, eye droppers, etc. Plus a nice deep place under the top lid that holds most of my ink bottles (Noodler's bottles are just a tad too tall. So are the Iroshizuku ink boxes, the bottle might fit but I've kept it in the box.)

So happy. Was able to corral a pen and ink collection that has been driving my husband NUTS without having to do a bunch of rehab work making something else work for pens. This was simple, a little cutting and measuring for the trays and I was DONE and moved in. If you've got a Harbor Freight Tool and need a cheap storage solution check it out.

PO3A1757 by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

PO3A1758 by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

PO3A1759 by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

(Front has a panel that pulls up from the bottom and locks over the drawers so the whole thing is neatly secured from curious fingers:

photo by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

I'm impressed! Not the most beautiful, but functional, and I'd rather spend money on pens than on the (beautiful) $$$$ dedicated pen furniture.

Yay!
    Last edited by dannzeman; June 24th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bling72 (July 23rd, 2014), Buster99 (May 3rd, 2015), cnjackson (September 2nd, 2013), damfino (September 10th, 2020), Haefennasiel (May 10th, 2015), jadehawk (August 14th, 2014), KHS (March 14th, 2014), kia (December 24th, 2013), Lady Onogaro (January 19th, 2014), mhphoto (December 27th, 2013), pajaro (July 6th, 2013), Pens&Lit (June 30th, 2013), R.A. Stewart (May 16th, 2023), Replicant (March 20th, 2018), rgperedo (April 22nd, 2014), Uncle Fester (October 25th, 2017), vikramguliya (June 24th, 2014)