Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: degradation of "reputation" functionality

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default degradation of "reputation" functionality

When I logged on today from a laptop, I received notification that I had a "reputation" score. I clicked the link, which took me to the page, which I don't remember ever seeing before (I usually use Tapatalk, which does not show that functionality).

Well.

I was surprised to see the foul language there, and I was surprised to see so many entries in red over the past 3 weeks! I then looked through the most recent pages, and what became evident is that recently there has been a degradation of the "reputation" board into an extension for taking more shots at people with whom one is disagreeing. I don't know how to enhance or detract from anyone's "reputation," which strikes me as a rather juvenile (I teach juveniles) exercise in trying to hurt (or boost) people semi-publicly. Why someone would ever program that functionality into FPG is beyond me.

Anyway, it is clear that over the last few weeks, some posters have been using it much more often than in the past to make their grievances be known. Several of us who have been here a long time (7 years for me) are ruing the downward turn of tone and dynamic around here, and, sadly, the reputation board reflects that turn also. It seems to have begun to be an amplification of the animosity on some threads. That, I consider, is unfortunate. It, of course, is a silly matter of no consequence in itself. But it seems symbolically representative of what has been going on on some threads here. Sadly.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 11th, 2020), AzJon (April 10th, 2020), azkid (April 10th, 2020), catbert (April 10th, 2020), Deb (April 10th, 2020), jar (April 10th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 10th, 2020), KrazyIvan (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Re: degradation of "reputation" functionality

Likewise. I've never really understood the connection (if any) between thanks, reputation and rep power. I'm mainly here for the pens.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 10th, 2020), carlos.q (April 10th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 10th, 2020), TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Why do you aknowledge itWhy give it any importance?

The button thanks is quite a good thing,allowing us just to thank someone for an information, when we don't have anything else to say.

Reputation board - I can conceive it to express contentement/disliking towards a good seller, or buyer, or a bad one. But people have been using it for something else: mainly when someone else has disagreed with them on a thread, ergo disrupting the primary interest of such a board.
    When someone is a bad seller, or buyer, we know it because someone will end up opening a thread about the ill experience/s.

Rep power - just the use of the word power makes me laugh.

Don't give importance to people who do not deserve it.
    Last edited by fountainpagan; April 10th, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 10th, 2020), countrydirt (April 10th, 2020), TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't personally care. It is silly. I was just struck by its clear negative turn over recent weeks. I likely won't look at it again for years, if ever. It's just the pattern that struck me that correlates with what some long-term members have noted of late.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 10th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I understand.

Well, let's say quarantine hits somme people heads, and heats a few spirits.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 10th, 2020), TSherbs (April 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    Why do you aknowledge itWhy give it any importance?

The button thanks is quite a good thing,allowing us just to thank someone for an information, when we don't have anything else to say.

Reputation board - I can conceive it to express contentement/disliking towards a good seller, or buyer, or a bad one. But people have been using it for something else: mainly when someone else has disagreed with them on a thread, ergo disrupting the primary interest of such a board.
    When someone is a bad seller, or buyer, we know it because someone will end up opening a thread about the ill experience/s.

Rep power - just the use of the word power makes me laugh.

Don't give importance to people who do not deserve it.
    There is a separate rating system for buyer/seller transactions. It's in the Feedback Score tab under the users profile. Rep power never was taken seriously by anyone on the board, that I know of, because no one understood how it worked.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Sometimes I feel like this whole forum is a creepy social experiment run by the creepy guy who controls it. A Howard Hughes like character sitting back and laughing at all that goes on without moderation/regulation.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 10th, 2020), calamus (April 14th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 10th, 2020), TFarnon (October 25th, 2020), TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Sometimes I feel like this whole forum is a creepy social experiment run by the creepy guy who controls it. A Howard Hughes like character sitting back and laughing at all that goes on without moderation/regulation.
    This board is the polar opposite of the control by the administration of another board. I prefer this to the polar opposite but agree that sometimes minor moderation is needed. The question no one seems to be able to answer is how much restraint is enough without going totalitarian governance.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 10th, 2020), TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

This has undoubtedly been a time of considerable fear, disruption, and uncertainty for everyone. When stressors run high, so do tempers and reactions. I would ask that we all please take a step back, unplug for a while, and try to focus on something else for a bit.

FPG is clearly an important place to many of us, but the direction it has taken during this crisis highlights the uglier, baser side that prevails on so many social networks. This is heartbreaking. We have already seen some members distance themselves from this beloved nook in the worldwide web because of heated exchanges and the uncomfortable atmosphere that has permeated the forum. There are currently no less than three separate threads in The Lounge on COVID-19 in some way, shape, or form. Regardless of why any of them may have been started, every one of them has degenerated into something toxic, malicious, and nasty. I believe this has occurred, to a large degree, because of the overall lack of moderation here at FPG. While this freedom has made FPG a great place, it also provides the opportunity for FPG to become an ugly, hostile, and extremely unpleasant place.

I’m certain that none of us intentionally or overtly want this to happen, but every one of us must also be careful to prevent it from degrading in this way.
    We have a dedicated area for topics concerning inflammatory subjects. If you must discuss the pandemic—including theories, models, projections, or perceptions of political failings—or anything else that may become objectionable, provocative, or incendiary, I would ask that you take—and contain—the discussion to the “Politics, Religion and Society” area. Let the current, out-of-place threads die. Enough damage has been done. Enough finger-pointing and accusations have occurred. Enough words have been said.

I would also ask that each one of us act to self-moderate by not engaging in or responding to these threads or discussions outside of the forum dedicated to “Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues.” Without Eric swooping in to take broad actions and correct our current path, we have only ourselves to make FPG the great, friendly, fountain-pen place we all want it to be.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

calamus (April 14th, 2020), TFarnon (October 25th, 2020), TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I've been impressed with the forum, but I interests are fountain pens, pencils, communicating, and repair.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (April 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

You have company, I also received several negative feedback through reputation, not that I really care.
    What disturbs me is the abuse of it, it is ok to disagree and express this disagreement also with this reputation system.

But it was/is used to insult anonymously, an action of cowards, at least I canˋt see who did it.
    At least the name of the person should be shown, and a possibility to report vulgar insults.

Something like that I never observed on FPG in all the years before.

Thanks

Ptero, you did it three times yourself. The list is there for all to see, and the accompanying message. It is not anonymous or hidden.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Ptero, you did it three times yourself. The list is there for all to see, and the accompanying message. It is not anonymous or hidden.

I used the system as also others did, this is not forbidden, but I never insulted somebody.
    Can you please tell me wher you can see this info?
    In my list in “Settings” no names are shown.
    I also can’t see it inside the thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

I used the system as also others did, this is not forbidden, but I never insulted somebody.
    Under the Community tab. Then Reputation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

Under the Community tab. Then Reputation.

Thanks, found it, of course it was dneal, which is already on my ignore list.

To disagree is ok, but insulting people not.

Tell you what, maybe taking a break from the board is a good idea, it just isn’t enjoyable and fun to participate here anymore in the last weeks, especially in these times.
    To interact on this forum should be fun and relaxing, but currently it isn’t neither the first nor the latter for me.

Thanks

Peace, brother. Be well.

Thanks

Ptero, i’ve enjoyed your MB pictures in the MB corner thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

After 7 years on this board I finally found the "reputation" page. Well, 73 pages to be exact. IMO seems to me a pretty useless and unnecessary part of FPGeeks.

Finally, I have a question: if someone can give positive or negative reputation, why go thru all the trouble just to give a "0"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Finally, I have a question: if someone can give positive or negative reputation, why go thru all the trouble just to give a "0"?
    Can you control that number? It's been awhile since I used the rep system. I do know everybody starts out with 0 rep power, so they can use the system, but it doesn't really have an effect. I remember a troll trying to give negative rep awhile back. Because he had 0 rep power, it had 0 effect.

Yeah, I just gave catbert some. It didn't ask me how much, just used my rep power as the number. Maybe if you disapprove it's half your rep score rounded down? I'm not going to play with that. The only time I've given anybody negative rep was Ging Ging (the troll of which I spoke), and that was a long time ago.
    Last edited by mhosea; April 10th, 2020 at 09:10 PM.
    --
    Mike

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 11th, 2020), catbert (April 11th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (April 11th, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    After 7 years on this board I finally found the "reputation" page. Well, 73 pages to be exact. IMO seems to me a pretty useless and unnecessary part of FPGeeks.

I think the reason they gave a 0 is that their "Rep Power" was likely a 0 (as is mine)
    I just tried to give someone reputation points, and it awarded them 0 points. I strongly suspect it is because I have none to give.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 11th, 2020)