Thread: degradation of "reputation" functionality

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default degradation of "reputation" functionality

When I logged on today from a laptop, I received notification that I had a "reputation" score. I clicked the link, which took me to the page, which I don't remember ever seeing before (I usually use Tapatalk, which does not show that functionality).

Well.

I was surprised to see the foul language there, and I was surprised to see so many entries in red over the past 3 weeks! I then looked through the most recent pages, and what became evident is that recently there has been a degradation of the "reputation" board into an extension for taking more shots at people with whom one is disagreeing. I don't know how to enhance or detract from anyone's "reputation," which strikes me as a rather juvenile (I teach juveniles) exercise in trying to hurt (or boost) people semi-publicly. Why someone would ever program that functionality into FPG is beyond me.

Anyway, it is clear that over the last few weeks, some posters have been using it much more often than in the past to make their grievances be known. Several of us who have been here a long time (7 years for me) are ruing the downward turn of tone and dynamic around here, and, sadly, the reputation board reflects that turn also. It seems to have begun to be an amplification of the animosity on some threads. That, I consider, is unfortunate. It, of course, is a silly matter of no consequence in itself. But it seems symbolically representative of what has been going on on some threads here. Sadly.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

724Seney (April 11th, 2020), AzJon (April 10th, 2020), azkid (April 10th, 2020), catbert (April 10th, 2020), Deb (April 10th, 2020), jar (April 10th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 10th, 2020), KrazyIvan (April 10th, 2020)