Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: degradation of "reputation" functionality

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: degradation of "reputation" functionality

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Ptero, you did it three times yourself. The list is there for all to see, and the accompanying message. It is not anonymous or hidden.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    I used the system as also others did, this is not forbidden, but I never insulted somebody.
    Can you please tell me wher you can see this info?
    In my list in “Settings” no names are shown.
    I also can’t see it inside the thread.
    That's only a question of scale: You called VertOlive "foolish" and myself "inappropriate and pretentious". I feel insulted.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 11th, 2020), dneal (April 12th, 2020), ilikenails (April 14th, 2020)

Thanks

Please. I'm begging everyone. Please don't feed in to this more than has already been done.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (April 11th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2020), Robert (April 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Finally, I have a question: if someone can give positive or negative reputation, why go thru all the trouble just to give a "0"?
    Can you control that number? It's been awhile since I used the rep system. I do know everybody starts out with 0 rep power, so they can use the system, but it doesn't really have an effect. I remember a troll trying to give negative rep awhile back. Because he had 0 rep power, it had 0 effect.

Yeah, I just gave catbert some. It didn't ask me how much, just used my rep power as the number. Maybe if you disapprove it's half your rep score rounded down? I'm not going to play with that. The only time I've given anybody negative rep was Ging Ging (the troll of which I spoke), and that was a long time ago.
    Is that how it works? I've never understood about the numbers that show up.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Finally, I have a question: if someone can give positive or negative reputation, why go thru all the trouble just to give a "0"?
    Can you control that number? It's been awhile since I used the rep system. I do know everybody starts out with 0 rep power, so they can use the system, but it doesn't really have an effect. I remember a troll trying to give negative rep awhile back. Because he had 0 rep power, it had 0 effect.

Yeah, I just gave catbert some. It didn't ask me how much, just used my rep power as the number. Maybe if you disapprove it's half your rep score rounded down? I'm not going to play with that. The only time I've given anybody negative rep was Ging Ging (the troll of which I spoke), and that was a long time ago.
    Is that how it works? I've never understood about the numbers that show up.
    Just gave some reputation to mhosea. Same deal: the amount automatically corresponded to my rep power, which corresponds (I think) to my years of membership, though this does not seem to be the case with everyone. Perhaps the other points accelerate the rep power clock? Dunno.

I like the absence of flags here and the absence of points in the other place.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Interesting discovery. Now back to most anything else.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Couldn't resist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Same deal: the amount automatically corresponded to my rep power, which corresponds (I think) to my years of membership, though this does not seem to be the case with everyone. Perhaps the other points accelerate the rep power clock? Dunno.
    The vBulletin reputation feature is somewhat configurable.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...ons_reputation

You can see that the admin has some knobs and switches that allow years of membership, reputation points received, and even post count affect the "reputation power" if they choose. I will resist the urge to guess at the current settings.
    --
    Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

catbert (April 11th, 2020)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Until I stumbled across this thread today, I had no idea that it ever existed. And I didn't know what the star thing under people's posts actually did.

I like the "thanks" feature, and I've used the "report post" feature a few times with spambots. I'm not sure how this option does anything other than create unnecessary forum drama.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (April 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I'm not sure how this option does anything other than create unnecessary forum drama.
    I'm not entirely convinced, from an empirical point of view, that forum drama is unnecessary.

At any rate, it would be a sad thing to care very much about ones reputation points on a forum like this. Imagine having worked tirelessly to win points and "rep power", to bask in the glory of having advanced to the top echelon of a forum, only at some point to see the admin simply turn off the feature, the forum software change, or the forum disappear.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I'm not sure how this option does anything other than create unnecessary forum drama.
    I'm not entirely convinced, from an empirical point of view, that forum drama is unnecessary.

At any rate, it would be a sad thing to care very much about ones reputation points on a forum like this. Imagine having worked tirelessly to win points and "rep power", to bask in the glory of having advanced to the top echelon of a forum, only at some point to see the admin simply turn off the feature, the forum software change, or the forum disappear.
    I agree with you that it should not matter.

I've been a member of several forums for 15 years. I've noticed that some members on other forums collect a status that allows them to be snarky and condescending to new members. When the new members decide to give it back, the moderators react negatively toward the new member. A sample response might be, "don't you know who you are talking to?" "They are an expert!!!" This says if you have attained a measure of status you can be unkind and get by with it.

I am not coming to anyone's rescue or defense, but I know who has been helpful to me and who has posted remarks that are useless. If those helpful folks are run off, the usefulness of any forum is diminished.

If the present global situation says anything, it says we desperately need each other.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 12th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 13th, 2020), ilikenails (April 14th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't use this site much. But I'm curious: does ANYONE actually think the reputation system is helpful? My bet is that most people don't what it is or don't care about it, and that the people who do are against it...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    I don't use this site much. But I'm curious: does ANYONE actually think the reputation system is helpful? My bet is that most people don't what it is or don't care about it, and that the people who do are against it...
    Will work for Reps!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 14th, 2020), Waski_the_Squirrel (April 14th, 2020)