Thread: Noodler's Polar Brown

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Noodler's Polar Brown

Polar Brown is one of my favorite inks. Ironically, I’m not a fan of the color. It’s somehow bland. It can be a frustrating and finnicky ink, depending the pen used. But in this day age, where the veil on life’s non-permanence and uncertainty has been torn to bits, an ink, as permanent as the paper it bonds with is a source of comfort.

20200412_075815.jpg

When I first got into inks, being too lazy, I ordered a bunch of mystery samples. There were two Polar Browns. When I inked my pen, I told myself, what have I done to deserve such an ink in double amounts.
    But it grew on me, to the point that I bought a bottle, and I always have a couple of pens inked up, just in case, I have to jot down some important information, words of wisdom, sign a check or write a shopping list. Not a pleasant feeling when your painstakingly craft list melts after an impromptu drizzle or stray snowflake……

It dries in less than 10 seconds with a wet medium nib, and 3 with a fine on Rhodia dotpad.
    On copy paper it’s instantaneous.
    However, it takes forever to dry on Tomoe River with a wet nib, but it shades. With a fine nib, 45 seconds, until smudge free…
    It is also one of the easiest inks to clean out of a fountain pen. I’ve tried it even in a vintage Waterman and cleaning was a breeze.

Personally, this is one of those rare inks that I would not use with a stub/ oblique nib/ fude.
    With a wet/ wide combo it would ghost and bleed through unabashedly. Though sometimes I prefer that dark rich brown, haunting the paper, than the mild muted brown it usually is.

I’m not sure if it would be happy in a dry pen.
    I have had it in a Jinhao 992 for a year with no problem. In a Jinhao 450 with a fude nib, it had flow issues but when I changed the nib to a medium it was much better. When it flows, it’s a joy to write with. And unsurprisingly Polar Brown, loves Noodler’s nib creeper.

On Rhodia dot pad

PBr - Rhodia-front.jpg

Rhodia Back
    PBr - Rhodia-back.jpg

Tomoe River with shading
    PBr - Tomoe River.jpg

Tomoe River back
    PB TM River - Back.jpg

Amazon copy paper (front)
    Pb - Amazon copy- Front.jpg

Amazon copy paper (back)
    Pb-Copy paper- Compar-BACK 1.jpg

On Hilory Notebook where even pens ghost (front)
    PB- Hilroy fr.jpg

Hilory (back)
    PB- Hilroy fr back 1.jpg

Swab comparison
    PBr - Swabs.jpg
    Last edited by Yazeh; April 12th, 2020 at 06:09 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 11th, 2020), ethernautrix (April 12th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 12th, 2020), junglejim (April 12th, 2020), sgphoto (April 12th, 2020), sospiro (April 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Polar Brown

I also did a water test. It was raining the other day, so I put a page of Rhodia dot pad out in the elements..
    This is how it look before - Please note that Black Swan in English Roses was actually Sailor Yodaki
    Torture test.jpg

After two hours of rain/ sleet (photo)
    20200409_170621.jpg

The next having past the whole night outside snow was added to the mixture....(scan)

Torture test 1.jpg

And then to add insult to injury, I did a very unscientific alcohol/ bleach test....
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 12th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Nice. They aren't kidding about bulletproof. I've never tried bleach or UV (sun) exposure but man they held up to soaking no problem. (I've tried Bankers Tan, Air Corps blue-black, and 54th Massachusetts so far).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Nice. They aren't kidding about bulletproof. I've never tried bleach or UV (sun) exposure but man they held up to soaking no problem. (I've tried Bankers Tan, Air Corps blue-black, and 54th Massachusetts so far).
    No they are not kidding.
    I haven't tried the UV tests either, but I've seen some review sthat have done a 6 month UV test.....I believe Kung Te-Cheng didn't budge