Thread: Sheaffer Skrip Washable Blue 42 with RC-35 - readable under UV light

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Skrip Washable Blue 42 with RC-35 - readable under UV light

I photographed my bottle of Australian Skrip Washable Blue 42 today and while checking the photos I finally read the information on the bottom of the box. It says:

Contains RC-35
    For Permanent Protection of Every Word You Write

The Skrip Writing Fluid in this package contains a special additive that provides positive protection. Should records be washed away, signatures tampered with, even eradicated, RC-35 restores them under ultra-violet light. A Sheaffer extra at no extra cost.

Now I am keen to try this out… I just need to get hold of a UV light.

Does anyone else have experience with this ink characteristic?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to G Mark W For This Useful Post:

welch (April 13th, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Skrip Washable Blue 42 with RC-35 - readable under UV light

i love vintage inks! please post pics in this thread when you do this

sounds like basically if you took a washable blue, ... and added noodler's blue ghost (which i have, and which is awesomely fun)

Leuchtturm Paper gives excellent results for blue ghost. Rhodia and clairefontaine significantly less so. Optical White papers don't let the blue ghost show up as well. I suspect it will be similar with this additive.

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Skrip Washable Blue 42 with RC-35 - readable under UV light

I never tried to read the RC35 Skrip after washing out what I had written. I did, however, use Skrip Washable Black and Washable Blue-Black for six or eight years in the '60's, back when we had only one fountain pen and used it every day. I have always wondered about RC-35. Yes, please post pictures of you results.

Over on FPN, Amberlee tested the RC-35 recovery, but I don't understand her results. It seemed like it could be read, but the writing was ragged. As if the RC-35 soaked into the paper outside and inside where the Skip had written. Maybe a slightly different absorbing-ness.

Thanks

I now have a UV torch and have tested the Skrip Washable Blue 42.

I wrote with the Skrip on three papers: standard copy paper, Tomoe River 52 gsm and Rhodia Dotpad 80 gsm, and on some paper towel (to simulate cloth).

I then soaked each of the pieces of paper in water. The middle section of each piece was soaked for 30 seconds, and the right hand side for 5 minutes. I also washed the paper towel with washing detergent for a few minutes to test the claim that the washable Skrip will wash out of any washable clothing.

The photos show the results. The top photos are the papers before soaking. The middle photos are the papers after soaking, taken under white (LED) light. The bottom photos are the papers after soaking, taken under UV torch light.

Results: No sign of the advertised fluorescence under UV light.

Perhaps the RC-35 has lost its fluorescent properties over time (This bottle was probably produced c1955-1963).

200413 - RC-35 test 1.jpg200413 - RC-35 test 2.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to G Mark W For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (April 23rd, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm... yes. less dramatic than i had hoped for...

Maybe you're right, it might just be old.

The base ink colour is really nice though! I usually find washable/royal blues to be bland and boring, but not this one. This one i REALLY like!

Thanks for posting

Your bottle and box are really nice btw, great pics!

Thanks

it's possible your results may not be helped by brighteners in the paper. But then again, old age gets to us all.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.