Thread: Montblanc 220 and 221

Thanks

Default Montblanc 220 and 221

Trying to replace barrel/piston liner on a MB220 (shiny finish)....I haven't been able to find any suitable parts but have found a few MB221 parts that look promising.

Ive looked but can't find any info regarding specs of these two models. Can anyone tell me if parts on these models are compatible with each other?

The only info I've been able to find is that there were some differences in trim.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

James

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 220 and 221

If the 221 is a piston filler it should be compatible much like how the 225 internals are compatible for a 220.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Sagebrush64 (April 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Excellent!

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Howdy again,
    Have you ever attempted to remove the nib from any of your MB's that are pressure fit to the shell/section?? I've got a 320 that needs a bit of nib work and I'm having a bugger of a time getting it off. It looks like it should slide forward off of the section.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

It is possible it comes out the back like on my 221. I don't have a 320 so take with grain of salt. On the 221 (c/c) unscrew barrel then unscrew clear plastic part that holds the cartridge. Then you can slide the feed and nib out the back of the hood/section.

Thanks

Negative, this pen has the feed that slides out the back, but the nib is pressure fit onto the shell/section. I see two slots on the shell where the "wings" of the nib slide in....I assume at least. I seem to remember someone mentioning using tape to pull it off, but thus far, this technique has proved fruitless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

At one point I managed to track down exploded diagrams / blueprints for various Montblanc pens that made it clearer how they were put together but I haven't been able to track them down. Anyway they are probably still out there somewhere on the interwebs.

There may be some YouTube videos for disassembling a 320 out there as well.

On a sad note, my problem child 221 broke as I was trying to install a new feed. The cartridge holder tube sheared in half above the hood threads. It already had some cracks in the area plus I and previous owners probably overtightened it. The material isn't terribly thick or strong so... Yeah not super surprised but kind of irritated.

This is the same pen with the cracked cap, and that came with a cracked hood. I am going to have to part it out because it's getting kind of stupid throwing good money after bad on this thing to keep it going.

Thanks

I've come across a couple examples of similar models in disassembled states, but they leave the nib untouched.....I downloaded a repair manual from Montblanc on the 221, etc. models and there is mention of grasping the nib from the sides with some tool, but it's not really clear.

Anyhow, I fiddled with it and it is now somewhat better, I actually inked it up and it writes, albeit not well with misaligned tines that I don't want to mess up any more.

There is a ebay seller from Japan who regularly sells 221 parts at reasonable prices. I've bought several from him and actually at this moment have several MB parts stuck in Japan just waiting to be shipped once things start moving again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sagebrush64 For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 7th, 2020)