Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sans Ink

Thanks

Default Re: Sans Ink

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Hello, Dave! Just a few days ago I thought "Wonder how Dave's getting on with the penguins?" - and here you are. How'd you fair with the Noodlers HoD?

As to dramas, I think you just missed FPN suffering a lengthy outage and the resulting influx here. Followed by the inevitable idiot behaviour by several. Contrary to the widely held belief that it's nigh on impossible to be banned from this forum, someone managed it!
    It's been a tiring day, but to answer your question, the Noodler's HoD was doing just fine until a team member who won't be named managed to knock the bottle over. Lost most of it, there's a patch of soil back there that's going to be black for a while! In terms of use it lasted until late January of this year. Didn't update you guys as we have been exceptionally busy.

The banning: doesn't sound too surprising. As I recall from reading stuff when I joined, there are rules and so on. No doubt a moderator felt a line had been crossed somewhere. I am a curious George but don't see any threads about it, not that I'm looking that hard either.

Time to go. Food's a cooking, no beers though, damnit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    What's been going on with you guys?
    I have 100% more ink than I have penguins.
    Jon, this makes no sense at all.

If you have 2 inks, then you have 1 penguin. If you have 4 inks, you have 2 penguins and so on. If you have no inks, then you don't have any penguins.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post

If you have 2 inks, then you have 1 penguin. If you have 4 inks, you have 2 penguins and so on. If you have no inks, then you don't have any penguins.
    You know, you are just no fun. All my penguins agree.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

mizgeorge (April 9th, 2021)

Thanks

One of the major experiences in my life was getting bitten by a penguin at the Bronx Zoo. So I'm on the side of penguins.

Sorry for being no fun. (Although my comment was tongue in cheek.) My undergraduate degree was in Math. I'm particularly sensitive to GROSS misunderstandings of numbers.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 9th, 2021), Ole Juul (April 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Fractional penguins and disingenuous rounding could make this work.

Remember, 2+2=5 for large values of 2!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 9th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

One of the major experiences in my life was getting bitten by a penguin at the Bronx Zoo. So I'm on the side of penguins.

Sorry for being no fun. (Although my comment was tongue in cheek.) My undergraduate degree was in Math. I'm particularly sensitive to GROSS misunderstandings of numbers.
    Hehe... I took no offense. OTOH, unlike you I have had a very, very difficult and lifelong relationship with math. Always bothered me, and considering I ended up being a drummer (percussionist) for a career and rhythm is just fractionally dividing up time, you think it would be more innate.

Not for me.

And because of that, I developed a sincere inferiority complex about numerical things not being transparent to me on a conceptual level. I was good with spacial stuff (geometry) to a better extent. The worst part was, mid-life, going back for a software degree and having to take a few math courses to catch up for what didn't transfer from my other degree. Exceedingly painful but I made it. A couple of great profs, but I am certain that until my dying day, parsing mathematical constructs will never, ever be anything but opaque to me.

I'll go back to studying my SCOREs now.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Whilst we're on the subject. I know a guy in Devon who used to volunteer at the local residential home for special needs children.

They took some of them on a day trip to the zoo at Exmoor, which was a huge success. When they got back to the home and unloaded the minibus, everything just got dumped in the utility room. A staff member went in and was surprised at how wet the floor was. She noticed that a bag belonging to one of the boys was very damp. When she picked it up, she also noticed that it was very heavy.

Yep, the kid had stolen a penguin. He liked it so much he put it in his bag to take home and then forgot about it.

The penguin was fine, but sadly the entire waddle died about five years ago after an outbreak of avian malaria. I don't think they've ever replaced them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 9th, 2021), Yazeh (April 9th, 2021)

Thanks

I'm surprised Rick Propas hasn't chimed in on this avian topic.
    Dan Kalish

Thanks

It's been a tiring day, but to answer your question, the Noodler's HoD was doing just fine until a team member who won't be named managed to knock the bottle over. Lost most of it, there's a patch of soil back there that's going to be black for a while!
    Ack! That may be the only Noodler's accident where the resulting mess was the least important thing. So inkless since January? That makes those Waterman carts very precious indeed.

The banning: doesn't sound too surprising. As I recall from reading stuff when I joined, there are rules and so on. No doubt a moderator felt a line had been crossed somewhere. I am a curious George but don't see any threads about it, not that I'm looking that hard either.
    Moderator? Rarer than penguins in Jon's ink stash. Look for the "FPN Refuges Status Area" thread in The Lounge if you want a lonnnnng read. Although it may have been "post removed" into incomprehensibility and reading it without beer is probably highly inadvisable.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.